Stuffed Port in Subwoofer...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I was told that stuffing the port with drinking straws will even get better performance out of your subwoofers.I guess that you leave about 2-3" on each end so you don't totally cover in the port.Has anyone tried this?

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I guess it could do no harm trying it and certainly I've heard of stranger things. Did your source explain why it would help sonically? The reason I wonder is that, to me, if it really did help, couldn't sub manufacturers utilize it. I mean it would put them one step up on the competition at a relatively inconsequential cost.

3. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I remember about 20years ago a friend of mine built his own speaker boxes using kef speakers and active crossovers, he was an electronics nut[​IMG].
    Anyway he used straws to tune the ports, I remember him having to cut the lengths of them to tune the boxes, in conjunction with test equipment.
    BTW these speakers sounded great, but then most of the stuff was analog in those days i.e vinyl & reel to reel tape.