What's new

Stuff happend! Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Daniel C

Auditioning
There was a moth flew into my TW40X81 from the back of the venting holes. While it 'landed' on the inside of the screen, it left a black spot there (probably droppings). Can anybody out there tell me if there is any way to clean the inside of the screen? Any suggestion will be appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
If you are a good handyman then it is reasonable to pull the front screen and carefully clean off the "dirt." However, if you have any klutz genes, don't try this.
Turn of the TV. Take extreme measures to keep pets and children out of the room.
Pull the speaker grille off the bottom front of the TV. This will reveal the lower mounting brackets of the screen frame which hold it to the bottom portion of the TV. Remove the screws which hold the brackets to the TV. Once that is done the screen frame is only held by the hooks at the top of the screen which allow it to hang on the top edge of the TV. Very carefully lift up on the screen frame and simultaneously swing the bottom of the frame about two inches forward. The whole screen frame will quite suddenly come free. I emphasize suddenly because you will be abrupty holding the screen so that is a very bad time to slip. As you move the screen away from the TV be sure that no wires are connected between the screen and the rest of the TV. If so disconnect them.
Once the screen is free, take a very soft lint free cotton cloth or a lens cleaning cloth (not tissue) and gingerly wipe away the problem. If that is not sufficient, use a non-ammonia lens cleaning solutin diluted to 1/3 strength with distilled water to dampen your cloth. Do NOT spray the solution onto the screen. If any of it drips down it can wick up between the screen layers and make a grand mess. Carefully wipe the screen dry.
Reinstall the screen by hanging it back on its hooks and then putting the screws back on. The speaker grille will pop back into place.
Be careful. One slip and you can ruin the screen. Don't spill anything into the TV or touch the lenses/mirror unless you know what you are doing. If you are reading this for instructions, you don't know what you are doing by definition.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Petros G

Auditioning
My Freind had a ladybug crawling around the inside of his front projection TV, after 1 week of owning it. He was pretty pissed, I had to turn my head away every time i'd see the little bugger and give a little chuckle.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Michael Chen was here today to calibrate my TV, and while doing so he opened it up and did a bit of cleaning. Opening is no big deal, I did it by myself a few weeks ago to get rid of some dust. My mits opens the same way Guy said. Michael used one of those lens cleaning cloths, and it worked much better than my attempts to do it with paper towels (as was suggested on some TV info site). I'm going to get one of those cloths the next time I need to clean it. You can also run a vacuum inside it to clear out any cob webs or such, but just don't touch anything with it.
If there's nothing on the lenses then you got nothing to fear. As long as you don't use anything that streaks or smears (no windex) on the mirror or the screen, you got nothing to worry about. I was quite intimidated about doing this, but once I opened it up and saw how simple it was, it didn't bother me at all. If something is on the lenses, just be real gentle so you don't screw them up. However some of my lenses, the ones over the CRTs that is, do have some scratches, but I've never noticed any anomalies while watching the TV at all. So even if you accidentally put a small scratch on one while cleaning, it might not show up at all.
A couple of pointers, it helps if you have someone else to help you take off and put on the screen, although it wasn't too hard to do by myself, and if something doesn't look dirty, don't bother cleaning it.

Daniel C

Auditioning
Thanks for everyone's input. I finally took a deep breath and removed the screen from the front. It was way easier than I though.
I believe that Guy has a different model than mine as I didn't need to remove the speaker grills and the front panel to remove the screen. I needed to remove 4 screws from the side and 2 at the top and the screen just came right out. To my surprise, there were 2 moths 'living' inside. Of course I eliminated them both and took the chance to clean it up a bit. For those who are just like me that had never removed the screen before, trust me it is much easier than you thought.
To avoid any insects from going into the TV in the future, I went to Home Depot and bought 2 feet of screen wire (the one you use for your screen door to the backyard; costed $1.40/ft); opened up the back cover (!needed a lot of courage :) and it turned out to be another very easy thing to do!) and lined up the inside with the wired screen. This should still provide enough ventilation and at the same time blocks any bugs from going in.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Be careful about opening the back covers, particularly the upper portion. On some RPTV's doing so drops the big mirror. The resultant crash and shards of broken mirror and scratched lenses make for a long HT evening.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed

Daniel C

Auditioning
Good advise, Guy. And that is why in my sequence of events I removed the front screen first; just to ensure that nothing attached to the back panel before I removed it. And for those who reads this thread, this is for Toshiba TW40X81 only...(possibly applicable for TW??X81)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks