Stuff 'em up!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

While my endcaps are drying, I started to look around for the appropriate stuffing for my sealed sub.
    Here I've read some interesting things:
    LDSG Stuffing
    I.e.:

Fiberglass. Used as insulation, Fiber glass is also among the most effective materials used for stuffing sealed enclosures. Fiberglass is useful only for frequencies above 100 Hz

But they don't mention a polyfill there..

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I used fiberglass insulation found at home depot. The cheapest wood wall insulation was around $12. It came with a huge roll enough to fill several large sub boxes. I got the R-12 model I believe.

It helped my dual PPI tens a lot. Though some of the boomy bass I had gotten used to had vanished.

Be careful with that stuff, I handled it with my fingers and they itched for the rest of the day. Inhaling that stuff ain't healthy neither so wear a mask.

The reason I chose this was because polyfill costs arond $10 for a 1lb bag and had to be ordered since I didn't know where to find it. I'd rather pay the same price for a bigger bag that does the same thing.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

Actually my point was:

Fiberglass. Fiberglass is useful only for frequencies above 100 Hz.
    Hollofill II is useful down to 60 Hz.
    Long fiber wool. It's most useful characteristic is that it's useful down to about 40 Hz, about 30% more effective than Hollofill II.
    Acousta-StuffTM. It's claimed to be almost equal to wool in effectiveness in TL's. (about 40 Hz)