Studying Motivation?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Van Patton, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I don't hate school but I do hate certain classes I'm taking now in college such as Pre Calculus and Biology 101. I have no motivation or drive to study for these. I have strong A's in all my other 3 courses but have failed both those two classes first tests. All tips are appreaciated!! Thanks.

2. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

3. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

thanks for all the advice guys.......

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Hire a guy with a whip & a drum?[​IMG]

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I was an A student before college and completely lost my will to jump through the academic hoops in college. I was fine with Bs and Cs and couldn't care less about attendance requirements and grades.

It takes a total lack of effort to actually fail a class imo. Spend 8 hours before each exam (3 days a semester) to get by. Think of the money you are wasting otherwise. Tuition = lots of A/V gear. You might as well get your money's worth (or parent's money's worth) and get that D.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Don't take this as a slam, but you may have ADD or OCD. This would explian why you have trouble focusing and may explain why you needed to post the first 3 posts in less than 2 hours.

Just a thought.

7. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

No I don't, I post a lot on phantasytour.com and democraticunderground.com and am used to about 10 responses within 5 minutes. I don't post much on the HTF much anymore. Thanks for the advice dude above though.

8. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

College basically breaks down like this - there are certain classes you will enjoy (typically those related to your major) and certain class that you don't and will have no use to you in your professional future. Part of earning that degree is sucking it up and keep trying to do well in classes you do not like or have no motivation for. I understand how hard it can be to try and motivate yourself to work hard in a course that you have no interest in, however, you just need to do what you can to get through. I hope these aren't classes you'll need to re-take if you don't pass them.

I had a similar conversation with a friend's girlfriend last week. She is getting good grades in all but one of her classes. She loves math, is good at it, and is currently failing her Algebra class. She doesn't do her homework, takes no notes, comes to class at least ten minutes each time, and doesn't study for tests. My buddy has to more or less force her out of his apartment to get her to go to class in the morning. She asked me why I think she might be failing, and I can't seem to figure out the problem.

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

What do you like?

The best suggestion I have is to try to relate these boring classes to something you like. It may not be easy but if you can see how they relate to something you like, it may not be so bad.

For instance, the two things I really love are medicine and computers. I can't stand history so I put off taking the two required history classes. Finally, my last year I took a look and saw they offered 2 semesters on history of medicine. Honestly, it was a blast. "Normal" history would have been downright excruciating to me but somehow history related to something I was interested in was bearable.

Also, this semester I'm taking a graduate financial accounting and find it dry and boring at times. Looking at corporate financial statements puts me to sleep *except* when I look at the statements for technology companies I suddenly find it interesting. Somehow the fact that the balance sheet is for Dell is a lot more interesting than looking at the one for Sears.

Of course this is not as easily translated to math or biology, but can still be doable. For the pre-calc, maybe think about all the angles and stuff and how it relates to the setup of HT gear. All the reasoning behind positioning of speakers, for example, is based on math and physics so maybe if you just try to relate all your studies to that it would help.

10. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Thanks so much for the suggestions above! The two things that I'm very passionate about now are music and politics. Logical thinking skills are required in politics (well.....) so math could be applied there with the step by step process of coming to a solution on a problem.

As for Biology, I think I'm just going to have to put in much more effort.

Thanks again guys.

11. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I failed my first year of Uni and nearly got thrown out. I now have a PhD in physics so I can look at this from both sides of the scholastic divide.

Of course, in the UK, where I did my degree, you don't get to pick and choose classes, the programme is laid out and you have to do it, there are a few electives, especially in the final year but mostly, you take the courses you're told to so you have to do stuff you either dislike or can't get motivated to do. My all-time anti-fave was statistical physics.

Anyway, my advice is for a class that you really can't get on with, to force yourself to work for say 50 minutes, then have a ten minute break and then go back. That way, you're looking forward to your next break and that spurs you on to work until then, you reward yourself for doing the work. It worked for me, I scaped the equivolent of an A in my final year statistical physics course although I couldn't derive the maxwell-boltzmann equation now if you put a gun to my head.

What you can't get arround is the need for self-discipline. Simply saying your going to do it and being determined, wears off after ten minutes.

HTH
    Phill

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Does wanting to pass the classes provide any motivation? [​IMG]

Are you looking for actual motivation or methods to study material you aren't interested in? The previous posters (Leila & Phill) presumably had motivation (to succeed, survive college, etc.) - that's what moved them to employ techniques to learn material they otherwise loathed.

More practically, what Phill said has worked for me: study for say 50 minutes and then take 20 minutes off. This is inefficient, but it is better than nothing. The challenge to actually work during the 50 minutes rather than falling asleep.

Study with classmates who enjoy the material; their enthusiasm can be contagious. They might also help you understand it quicker, taking some tedium away.

Is the course necessary? If not, drop it.

Talk to the professor. Tell him/her that your interests lie in basket-weaving and ball-dodging is dreadful to you. Perhaps he can provide ideas to help you connect to it.

When you're about to give up, remember that the class is required for graduation, and without the cap-and-cap you'll never get the job to support your DVD habit [​IMG]

13. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

DaveF,

Did you really find that studying with friends actually worked? I could never get that to be productive for me. My wife said that she loved studying with her friends but I suspect she had too much fun for it to be very useful.

14. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Life is full of doing things you don't like.

Get used to it.

If work were always fun then you would pay to do it instead of the other way around.

College is where you mature from a child - avoiding adversity - to an adult - confronting adversity.

Good luck on your voyage.

15. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

It's too late for this semester but maybe this will help for future semesters.

As much as you may dislike certain classes, make it a point to keep up with them from week to week so you don't fall behind.

It's a matter of finding the discipline to devote 1 hour a week (fake number of course) to the class vs. having to devote 14 hours before finals week to catch up.

Set aside the time, preferably the same time each day for the hated class and get in the habit of doing it. It'll be much easier for you this way over the course of the semester.

16. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

No, I'm not too far at all behind. I barely failed the first tests in math and science. So if I pass all the rest with decent grades, then I could probably pull a B out of the classes. For the past two days, I've spent about 2 hours each day studying. Thanks for the help again.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I mostly worked on my own. But I found studying with classmates very helpful a few times. Studying with a friend for Diff. Eq. 1 on a nice spring day, just reviewing our notes and asking each questions, was really helpful. Reviewing for an image-processing class worked well, as we could talk about concepts and algorithms. In graduate school, it was absolutely necessary to discuss homework. Also, we had productive group sessions a few times a week to talk about Prelim questions.

I think it works best (for me) for reviewing concepts. It's helpful to talk over big-picture issues or discuss the solution approach to problems that stumped me.

So yes, it was a small but important part of my studies.

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

You're on your own for the lower-level classes, but I find group study excellent for upper-level classes. That way, you all have something to bitch about together. [​IMG]

All subjects are interesting (that's where the geek in me comes out), but I do agree the studying part and the being held relaible for it does suck.

I hate histology.

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I think the bulk of the studying has to be done on an individual basis because the group is not going to reteach you the entire semester's worth of information. Once you study on your own and really feel you grasp it, study groups are wonderful. I use them to go over homework questions to check my answers or to get help with a snag I run into. My annoyance comes from people who don't pay attention all semester then come to a study group expecting to learn. So as long as you put effort into your studies before meeting with the group, they're just fine.

20. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

For me it was monetary. Good grades = good job. Good job = money. Luckily I found a job I really love that pays well, so I can buy kick-ass stereo gear and travel to exotic places. Without working hard in school, I'd be doing something else, most likely that doesn't pay as well, and that I don't enjoy as much. My grades essentially bought me this:
    Edit: pic's not showing. Hrmph. Anyway, take my word for it, there's some great gear in the pic.
    [​IMG]