What's new

Studios: Thanks for sticking with classics (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As the year 2008 draws to a close I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the studios who read HTF for providing a great selection of classic titles in 2008. We all know that the economy was challenging and that sales of these kinds of titles suffered this year. Still, we got some truly wonderful releases over the past 12 months and I'd like to let the studios know I appreciate their willingness to stick with these titles even when their bottom lines probably couldn't justify them.

Yes, there may have been a slowdown in release patterns, but that is to be expected (and even needed since most consumers can't afford to buy as many titles as they used to these days). The silver lining in this is that it makes a release like the latest Warner Gangster, Fox Chan, or Sony Stooges collections seem even more special and we have more time to savor it rather than having to play catch-up because our purchases outpace our time to watch them.

I don't know what 2009 will bring. From my professional perspective in finance it's pretty scary, but we've bounced back from tough times before. We've already seen some exciting announcements for 2009 and knowing how far in advance these studios prep titles it's clear there are some exciting things in the pipeline ready to be released when market conditions improve.

So in conclusion....well done in '08 and looking forward to '09!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Great post Steve.
I'm looking forward to 09, too and I do hope that studios like Warner, Fox and Sony will continue to release great catalogue titles.

I keep my fingers crossed for a 5th Film Noir Set from Warner.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Great post! Sure 2008 could've been better for classics, but we ought to applaud the studios for taking risks when they roll the dice.

Negative posts, especially about lack of bonus features and a picture that isn't crystal clear probably only discourage output of classics when most probably have a slim margin at best.

Keep up the great work Warner and Fox. Let's hope for more great things from them and hope that Paramount, Universal and Sony try to match their pace.

Some of my favorite releases from 2008:
  • Burke's Law Season 1 from VCI
  • Homefront Collection - Warner
  • The Lone Ranger, Seasons 1 & 2 - Classic Media

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on the post, Steve :emoji_thumbsup: There have been some great releases this year. That WB Gangster Coll V4 is awesome. As David said in his previous post, on the TV/DVD side there have been some real surprises. I also have that Lone Ranger 75th Anniv set.

Have a great New Years Steve!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Let me add my voice to Steve's and that of the others in this thread - the bulk of my buying consists of classic film titles and I realize what a risk many of these releases must have been for the companies producing them. The further we get from their era of production the more important it becomes to be able to access these films.

Please keep up the good work!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Great post, Steve!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
and I couldn't agree more with it.

2008 has brought some of my most cherished movies to DVD. I feel blessed that studios, especially Warner and Fox, keep up their extraordinary efforts. And more favorites of mine have already been announced for 2009.

A Happy New Year to All!!!!!!!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'll send the biggest thanks to companies like Flicker Alley and Kino who really don't have money to lose as they are the ones who take real chances.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
And not just the classics. A ton of movies that before DVD, you could read about, but never see (or own!). From "The Curse Of The fly" to "Helen Of Troy", from "Li'l Abner" to "Terror Of The Tongs". All those westerns, horrors, serials, musicals. It's never been a better time to be a film fan.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

I think 'The Decalogue' (or 'The Dekalog') is another example of a movie (or TV series) one could only read about, but never see (or own!).

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I would love to see Universal get back on the classic releases bandwagon. There are so many more classic Paramount and Universal films from the 1930s and 40s that I'd love to see come to DVD. One that comes to mind is Remember the Night (1940) with Barabara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. TCM ran it Christmas Eve, but they ran a worn-out print of it probably from the 1980s, complete with the old MCA TV logo at the beginning of the movie, hardly remastered at all. I'd love to see it restored and on DVD!

Charles H

Screenwriter
REMEMBER THE NIGHT mandates a dvd release, and it's one of the great Christmas stories. Universal seems almost willfully indifferent to their MCA titles. Where is TO EACH HIS OWN, A FOREIGN AFFAIR, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, ARISE, MY LOVE, FRENCHMEN'S CREEK, THE STORY OF DR. WASSELL, NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE, BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE, ANGEL, DESIRE, ZAZA, HOLD BACK THE DAWN, IF I HAD A MILLION, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, THE FLEET'S IN, NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, INCENDIARY BLONDE, WELCOME STRANGER, TOP O' THE MORNING, BLAZE OF NOON, THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK, SING, YOU SINNERS, MEN WITH WINGS, THIS DAY AND AGE, THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE, MISS TATLOCK'S MILLIONS, VARIETY GIRL,IF I WERE KING, THE LIGHT THAT FAILED, STREETS OF LAREDO, MINISTRY OF FEAR, ALIAS NICK BEAL, KITTY, SO EVIL, MY LOVE, BAHAMA PASSAGE, THE GLASS KEY, THE BLACK DAHLIA, HAPPY GO LUCKYTWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST, THE GREAT GATSBY? Lew Wasserman must be rolling in his grave!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

agreed!

from a viewer's perspective, it's even more important to get these on home video than anything Warner does, because none of them ever play on TCM

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's been a decent year for classics.

My highlights and disappointments:

Warner
BLU-RAY - Bonnie and Clyde, Cool Hand Luke, Dirty Harry, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and How the West was Won :emoji_thumbsup:

DVD sets - Popeye The Sailor Volume 2, Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2: Female, The Divorcee, A Free Soul, Three on a Match, Night Nurse,
Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection Vol. 3: Smart Money, Picture Snatcher, The Mayor of Hell, Lady Killer, Black Legion, Brother Orchid :emoji_thumbsup:

Slightly disappointed that there was no Film Noir Volume #5, no new Classic Horror set ala Hollywood Legends of Horror Vol #2 and still no Dark of the Sun :frowning:

Sony
BLU-RAY - The Professionals and Ray Harryhausen Collection: It Came from Beneath the Sea, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, 20 Million Miles to Earth, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad :emoji_thumbsup:

DVD sets - The Films of Budd Boetticher, Hammer Icons of Adventure: The Pirates of Blood River, The Stranglers of Bombay, The Terror of the Tongs, The Devil-Ship Pirates and Icons Of Horror Collection, Hammer Films: The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb, The Two Faces Of Dr. Jekyll, Scream of Fear, The Gorgon :emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to A Matter of Life and Death, the rumored Toho Sci-Fi set and the Peter Lorre set

Disappointed that Sony never came through on delivering more of their "big gun" classics on Blu-ray, many of which leaked to retailers i.e. Dr Stangelove, Taxi Driver, Das Boot, Guns of Navarone, Bridge on the River Kwai :thumbsdown:

MGM
BLU-RAY - Dr No, From Russia with Love, Thunderball, Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes Only :emoji_thumbsup:

DVD - Man of the West :emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to the rest of the classic Bond films on Blu-ray.

Disappointed that the Midnite Movie line has dried up again. :thumbsdown: :angry:

Fox

BLU-RAY - Planet of the Apes Evolution Collection, The Day the Earth Stood Still :emoji_thumbsup:

DVD - Western Classics Collection and continuing the Noir line - especially Road House :emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to more Noirs hopefully

Paramount

BLU-RAY - The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration set: The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, The Godfather Part III :emoji_thumbsup:

DVD - Licensing out The Skull to Legend :emoji_thumbsup:

Universal

Nothing of note for Blu-Ray as they're still rehashing previous HD DVD releases. Very disappointed that the Anniversary Edition of Touch of Evil and the Hitchcock Legacy releases were snubbed for Blu-ray. Sorry Universal I don't double-dip on standard DVD anymore. :thumbsdown: :angry:

On the DVD front no new Universal Horror set (will I ever get a R1 DVD of Island of Lost Souls?!!!:frowning: ) and yet another year without releasing any of their fantastic remaining Noirs (Blue Dahlia, Glass Key, Ministry of Fear, etc) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

OTHER
Classic Media's Rodan/War of the Gargantuas (DVD) :emoji_thumbsup:

Criterion's The Third Man (Blu-Ray) andThe Furies (DVD) :emoji_thumbsup:

Weinstein's El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire :emoji_thumbsup:

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

Peter Lorre set????????? when's that coming out? that's exciting!

I, too am disappointed by Universal's weird failure to exploit their noir catalog--and also by the apparent discontinuation of their wonderful 5/6 movie "glamor"/"legend" star-based collections (I wound up getting all of them except for John Wayne, who is anathema to me)

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
very cool! Sternberg's Crime and Punishment is a real favorite of mine!

I wonder if WHV will follow suit with Lorre set of their own (with Three Strangers and The Verdict at the top of the list)? They certainly should!

p.s. someday, I hope that ALL of Sternberg's films are available!

AlanBrom

Second Unit

If you want the Midnite Movies to continue, you can write to Julia Simmons at [email protected] who is head of marketing for MGM product on DVD. MGM certainly had a slow second half in 2008.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

If this person is open to unsolicited emails from consumers then great, sure I'll give it a shot. If not then it's pretty pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks