Studios should release different covers for widescreen and fullscreen like Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Sep 30, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think they should do it more often, like with the upcoming Spider-Man, so people won't get confused with them. I made the mistake of getting a pan and scan A beautiful Mind, due to the covers being pretty much the same. I returned it, saying it was defective, and got the widescreen version. Stupid me, taking for granted that all DVDs are released in widescreen/OAR. If the covers are different, I won't make the mistake in the future.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I agree.

Universal and Dreamworks don't make the covers different enough (or put the AR in tiny lettering).

Either go with different covers or make it VERY easy to see...WB uses blue for fullscreen and red for widescreen on dual releases. Paramount does the EXACT same thing, but the lettering they use is nearly invisible on the banner.

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I agree fully.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

same here, and compliments for Columbia in doing so
    [​IMG]

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Im tempted to agree, but some people will still go for their preferred cover. And it would still need to clearly indicate WIDE or FULLscreen somewhere on the packaging.

These days multiple covers are starting to be more common. Take the recent Resevior Dogs or Mullholland Drive.

Studios need to make the WIDE and FULL banners a bit more promiment, ot perhaps slap a big ol sticker on it stating which version. The consumer should also take more care to look closer at the packaging before leaving the store. (sorry if that sounds like a slam on the StephenA. Not my intention. I've almost done it too).

Personally I like the alternating colors for the different versions. Makes one think "Wait, there's red and blue - what's different about them?"

-paul

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Personally, it doesn't bother me, since I'm a fan of the "informed comsumer". I always double check on the box unless it's a movie I know is an OAR only release. I do agree with Paul though about making the AR information more prominent on the package, and that with different covers, some might be in a rush and grab the one they feel looks best. I've got an idea...original poster art as the cover for the OAR release, and a cover like that on Real Genius for the MAR release.

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

In the UK for widescreen VHS tapes they went through a phase of printing the coverart landscape which was an ideal way you easily show the aspect ratio of the film.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They seem to have stopped doing this now. I suppose it just didn't fit in with the retailers' shelving requirements [​IMG]

8. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    No, because then some HTF members would start complaining that the art they like is on the pan-and-scan version instead of the widescreen! [​IMG]

9. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Actually I DO like the art on the Fullscreen Spider-Man better. [​IMG] Oh well, at least we get a widescreen release.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think that we should get to vote which cover is for the widescreen version. If J6P doesn't care about losing picture, he shouldn't be bitching about a worse cover either

11. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I remember the original edition of The Mummy had different cover art for the widescreen and Pan and Scan versions.
    - Guy

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Maybe they could do minor changes between versions much like what they did with Attack Of The Clones. The picture is the same but the banner at the top differs in colour between the ws and p&s versions.