What's new

Studios should release different covers for widescreen and fullscreen like Spider-Man (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I think they should do it more often, like with the upcoming Spider-Man, so people won't get confused with them. I made the mistake of getting a pan and scan A beautiful Mind, due to the covers being pretty much the same. I returned it, saying it was defective, and got the widescreen version. Stupid me, taking for granted that all DVDs are released in widescreen/OAR. If the covers are different, I won't make the mistake in the future.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I agree.

Universal and Dreamworks don't make the covers different enough (or put the AR in tiny lettering).

Either go with different covers or make it VERY easy to see...WB uses blue for fullscreen and red for widescreen on dual releases. Paramount does the EXACT same thing, but the lettering they use is nearly invisible on the banner.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Im tempted to agree, but some people will still go for their preferred cover. And it would still need to clearly indicate WIDE or FULLscreen somewhere on the packaging.

These days multiple covers are starting to be more common. Take the recent Resevior Dogs or Mullholland Drive.

Studios need to make the WIDE and FULL banners a bit more promiment, ot perhaps slap a big ol sticker on it stating which version. The consumer should also take more care to look closer at the packaging before leaving the store. (sorry if that sounds like a slam on the StephenA. Not my intention. I've almost done it too).

Personally I like the alternating colors for the different versions. Makes one think "Wait, there's red and blue - what's different about them?"

-paul

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Personally, it doesn't bother me, since I'm a fan of the "informed comsumer". I always double check on the box unless it's a movie I know is an OAR only release. I do agree with Paul though about making the AR information more prominent on the package, and that with different covers, some might be in a rush and grab the one they feel looks best. I've got an idea...original poster art as the cover for the OAR release, and a cover like that on Real Genius for the MAR release.

James Reader

Screenwriter
In the UK for widescreen VHS tapes they went through a phase of printing the coverart landscape which was an ideal way you easily show the aspect ratio of the film.

They seem to have stopped doing this now. I suppose it just didn't fit in with the retailers' shelving requirements :frowning:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
No, because then some HTF members would start complaining that the art they like is on the pan-and-scan version instead of the widescreen! ;)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Actually I DO like the art on the Fullscreen Spider-Man better. :) Oh well, at least we get a widescreen release.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think that we should get to vote which cover is for the widescreen version. If J6P doesn't care about losing picture, he shouldn't be bitching about a worse cover either

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I remember the original edition of The Mummy had different cover art for the widescreen and Pan and Scan versions.
- Guy

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Maybe they could do minor changes between versions much like what they did with Attack Of The Clones. The picture is the same but the banner at the top differs in colour between the ws and p&s versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks