What's new

Studios move to DVD-14, -18 for ws & ps on one disc (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
All good points Chris. I can admit when I'm wrong. I concede all of your points except the labeling/convenience issues. Just because some studios do a bad job now doesnt mean that the center ring label couldnt be standardized and made to work a bit better. I've actually seen labels that cover the whole clear plastic part between the label/cover art (on a conventional single-sided disk) and the whole in the middle, that could be used. Also, many of these issues pose a bigger problems to renters than to consumers. Any way. Thanks for clarifying my questions. I can honestly say I've learned something new.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
jesse,

now, that's just not helping yourself.
toss out the FS disc :D

Charles, ditto. I won't say something that wasn't true. That's time wasted.

I actually put back sending out the weekly customer newsletter today to address this issue - I believe in it that much.

it's hard when different studios have different policies.

when our customers complain about widescreen (rarely), we point out the diff, and state our policy. So far, so good. If every other retailer, or rentailer did the same, no problemo.

I encourage those who can, to start your own outlets. It has its benefits.

It helps when you have a widescreen demo instore :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"ps. what about Shrek, Roger Rabbit, the Ultimate Editions (Universal) etc. being double disc dual ratio releases? Studios don't mind loss of (potential) revenue there, or double cost (conversely)?"

Yes, you are right, but that is not the case with the majority of releases

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
true,

but Shrek was a MAJOR release. What was Dreamworks reasoning there?

If you truly put out a quality release for everyone (granted it's a quality movie), it will sell (at the same price point), with minimal complaints - not to diss Jesse.

DVD-9 with dual ratio, minimal extras.
DVD-9 with dual ratiox2, maximum extras.

everyone's happy (retailers/rentailers and consumers).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But to have to get up after the movie to flip the disc to watch special features, I can get over
I realize that flipping a DVD should be the least of my worries, but why inconvenience a pro-widescreener because of P&S?

Why do we always have to please and accommodate P&S? Ridiculous!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because the people who want P&S (aka WalMart and other havens of J6P) control approximately 40% of the video retail market, and can punish the studios for not complying with their wishes

Sure WalMart would never DARE not carry Star Wars, but they sure as hell CAN not carry AutoFocus, Or the FoxClassics titles and another whole host of more niche titles and really spank whatever studios piss them off

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"I realize that flipping a DVD should be the least of my worries, but why inconvenience a pro-widescreener because of P&S?

Why do we always have to please and accommodate P&S? Ridiculous!"

Actually, I'm looking at this the other way around. This is being done to accomdate us. Think about it, the market is getting flooded with P&S Releases. The Wal-Marts etc. are buying heavy on P&S and no OAR at all on some titles. I think the only stores left where there is not an overflooding of P&S is Borders and Costco (at least my local Costco). I guess I still hold the fear that the dual release is putting OAR in Jeopardy. Now, people will try to tell you to look at Amazon and you will see that OAR is blowing away P&S in most cases, but Amazon and other internet retailers do not represent a true sample of the market, becuase it is mostly us who are buying from them and not so much J6P. Sales are skewed in favor of OAR at Amazon and P&S at Wal Mart. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart is heavilly superior to Amazon (in terms of power). Some will tell you that OAR ultimately is outselling P&S. Possibly, but usually not by much and when you compound that with the notion that P&S lovers are more likely to rent many of their DVDs as opposed to buying (vice versa for us) One could conclude that P&S may actually be the winner (If every rental was counted as a sale, P&S would surely be on top). If Blockbuster didn't exist anymore and everyone was forced to purchase, I am afraid that P&S would in fact outsell OAR. If studios decided that they did not want to bother with 2 transfers for every DVD, they will probably go to P&S only (remember this is already being done by some studios). Not that I'm saying that Studios are going to drop OAR, but I believe that is what would happen.

Now, as P&S floods the market, OAR becomes harder to find (for example, no copies of "One Hour Photo" at my Wal-Mart in OAR that I could find) it gets even harder once the title is no longer a new release. Many rental stores DO NOT CARRY OAR and not everyone has a Hollywood Video near them. Now, many of us are being forced to spend the extra money to purchase DVD to see them in OAR that they didn't intend to buy in the first place. That, to me, is the inconvenience and not so much having to get up and flip a disc to get to some special features every so often, not having artwork on one side of the disc, and having to look at the hub to determine which is the OAR side.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Now, many of us are being forced to spend the extra money to purchase DVD to see them in OAR that they didn't intend to buy in the first place. That, to me, is the inconvenience and not so much having to get up and flip a disc to get to some special features every so often, not having artwork on one side of the disc, and having to look at the hub to determine which is the OAR side.
That's a good point and maybe I'm in the minority here, but I NEVER rent DVD's and I always purchase mine from Amazon, so any accommodation for the P&S version is truly unnaceptable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks