What's new

Studios move to DVD-14, -18 for ws & ps on one disc (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
According to the on-line edition of Video Business magazine the industry is beefing up DVD-14 and DVD-18 replication capacity in order produce more special editions with both P&S and widescreen versions, pluse extras, on a single disc.

"The move to DVD-14 is being driven by the number of SKUs you have to manage to offer both full- and widescreen versions," said Marshall Carr, VP of operations and distribution for New Line Home Entertainment. "We wouldn't opt to use DVD-14 to limit the number of discs in a special edition package, because we share the belief that there is more perceived value in multi-disc sets."
You can read the whole article at Video Business. (Free registration may be required to read contents.)

Regards,

Joe

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
That's an interesting article. Thanks for posting it Joe!

I definitely support this move because it will help eliminate the confusion of which DVD you are buying - Widescreen vs. Pan & Scan

Gregory

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is absolutely true based on other sources involved with replication with whom I have discussed this. I think it's great news. We could start a cottage industry making custom disc labels for the side with the 4:3 content. :)

Regards,

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Thank goodness. I've been getting very annoyed with industry ever since 4 different versions of American Pie II came out. That's slightly ridiculous. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Neil

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Time to get one of those CD labelers so I can just cover up the P&S side with some nice artwork ;)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
DVD 14s huh? hopefully that means a full two layers for the anamorphic OAR side, and one layer for the p&s side. After all do they really need to worry about compression and other issues for the side that the people watching are never going notice? [/sarcasm]

and interesting move, I don't mind, just so long as OAR gets a preferential treatment, and is available on all titles instead of being dropped on so called family titles.

Adam

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
How many minutes does two full layers for anamorphic cover? I mean I understand adding DTS or something else uses more space, as well. Can some please give me an example?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Cancel the P&S version, it's that easy.
Well, that's a bit simplistic. Haven't we been saying all along, "if there MUST be a P&S version due to market pressures, then at least put them in the same package"?

How many of us advocated making a disc dual-sided to accomodate the widescreen version on the other side instead of them merely selling a fullscreen version?

Listen, this is GOOD news. Let's see where it goes.

Kami

Screenwriter
The only good thing i can see come of this as it will give J6P (granted I doubt many will try it) the ability to compare to the two and realize what they're missing.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still don't buy that "perceived value" thing from New Line, I'm annoyed when they make something a multi-disc set just to make it look like more. Something else they should consider for pan and scan though is using a lower bitrate for it to fit it on one disc- Vanguard puts out screener discs with 4 complete movies on one dual-layer side, but encoded at a low bit rate. I've watched a few of them and some look awful but some are surprisingly good- if they used that type of encoding for the pan and scan version I doubt anyone who opted to watch it would notice! I dare anyone to try this!!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I'm in favor of anything that increases the chance I can get a movie in OAR. If this is the best compromise, then I'm for it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
This is absolutely horrible news!

Give me 2 discs with artwork anyday.

1. The layer failure rate potential.
2. The illegibility potential.
3. The disc fix issues (you will lose the spine label).

This sucks, moreso at rental.
Use 2 DVD-9s please!

Drop the extras if necessary.
Otherwise WE WILL SEE A RENTAL WINDOW ON DISCS.
trust me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"The only good thing i can see come of this as it will give J6P (granted I doubt many will try it) the ability to compare to the two and realize what they're missing"

Not the ONLY good thing, if studios start doing this, you will be able to find OAR at Blockbuster, and, if you must, Wal-Mart. Also big retailers will not be able buy big on P&S which skews figures in favor of it

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
rental stores would be much happier with 2 discs, 1 SKU, and double rentals.

that's a compromise! ;)

the BEST solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks