Studio's 100 driven by an Elite 53TX?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Antonio_B, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

Do you think that the Elite 53TX will struggle driving the Studio's 100?

By the way this receiver is rated 110 watts per channel.

Thanks in advance!

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Depends on room size, where or if you set the cross-over point for a sub, and how loud you listen to it. At normal listening levels in an average size room with a sub it will sound fine. However... If any of these change, you'd probably want to consider an external amp.

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I would suspect that there would be a significant improvement if you used a separate amplifier. The Studio 100 are hard to drive becuase their impedence drops at certain frequencies and receivers have difficulties driving low impedence speakers.

You could always try them with the Elite and upgrade if they aren't driven satisfactorily by it.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Like Bhagi says - take it home and listen first. You can add an amp later if you need it. I listened to the 100v2 on a Pioneer elete receiver awhile back and it did sound very good without external amps.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I owned the studio/100s for a little over a year, and I can say this about them: With adequate amplification they sound good......but with better amplification they sound very good. A separate amp will definitely pay some dividends for you. The Parasound HCA-855 I powered them with did a fine job.....but the Outlaw M200 monoblocks I upgraded to did that much better....especially with HT. The speakers came alive with them.