What's new

International StudioCanal new 4K restored Kind Hearts & Coronets (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The greatest Ealing comedy and one of the all-time greatest British films has just been upgraded. I just did a quick comparison between the new region 'B'-locked 4K restoration of Kind Hearts & Coronets and the one previously released in 2011. To my eyes, the differences in picture quality are very subtle - the only thing I found noticeable was more grain in the new 4K restoration. The special features are different and there are now German subtitles as an option. I don't think the differences between the two releases warrant an upgrade but it was really great having an excuse to see this again!

Interestingly, there is now a title card inserted right at the beginning stating that some of the language reflects historical attitudes which audiences may find offensive. The film is presented as originally screened for reasons of historical preservation. If only Disney had a similar attitude towards their classics.

IMG_9121.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Thanks for posting this - I just saw that there was a new release of Kind Hearts and Coronets, so I was curious about how it compared to the prior one.

What I don't know is which transfer will be released by Kino - the British 2011 one, the British 2019 one, or a different one?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Amazon UK has the Collector's Edition which includes the restored film on Blu-ray, DVD plus booklet, art cards and theatrical poster. Is selling at $31.45 with the currency exchange rate but will wait for the price to go down.
91zImmLG6oL._SX522_.jpg

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thanks for posting this - I just saw that there was a new release of Kind Hearts and Coronets, so I was curious about how it compared to the prior one.

What I don't know is which transfer will be released by Kino - the British 2011 one, the British 2019 one, or a different one?
Kino stated "fully restored" and it's being licenced from Studio Canal, so it should be the same as the recent British release.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interestingly, there is now a title card inserted right at the beginning stating that some of the language reflects historical attitudes which audiences may find offensive. The film is presented as originally screened for reasons of historical preservation.
Seriously? Come on, anyone that would be offended by the language in this film isn't going to purchase it in the first place.

Reactions: PMF

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Rodney - you may be forgetting the end. (I had forgotten it until I saw it again a few years ago). The scene where Louis and Sibilla meet in jail, the night before he's due to be executed, contains the n-word.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
In the British film The Dam Busters there also is a title card at the beginning of the film because the n-word which is the name of the dog.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rodney - you may be forgetting the end. (I had forgotten it until I saw it again a few years ago). The scene where Louis and Sibilla meet in jail, the night before he's due to be executed, contains the n-word.
Quite, right, I had forgotten about the nursery rhyme.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
For those with The Criterion Channel, the 4K restoration is the version currently up as part of their Alec Guinness series. Also have The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, plus some of his later films (including what appear to be new remasters of The Horse's Mouth and Tunes of Glory).

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
For those with The Criterion Channel, the 4K restoration is the version currently up as part of their Alec Guinness series. Also have The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, plus some of his later films (including what appear to be new remasters of The Horse's Mouth and Tunes of Glory).
That would be a great idea for Criterion to have a Ealing Blu-ray box set or a Alec Guinness set.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kino Lorber are releasing Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, and The Man in the White Suit on Sept. 9. All from new 4K masters, I think.
Which will make The Captain's Paradise as the sole film needing a blu release to replace my Anchor Bay DVD Alec Guinness Collection.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Man in the White Suit, and The Lavender Hill Mob are up for pre-order at Amazon. All three for a September 3rd release. Have the UK Blu-rays but will get theses too.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Man in the White Suit, and The Lavender Hill Mob are up for pre-order at Amazon. All three for a September 3rd release. Have the UK Blu-rays but will get theses too.
Do you know whether The Man In The White Suit and The Lavender Hill Mob are new transfers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks