Studio polling for DVD cover designs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattHR, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Fox is currently running a poll to decide the cover art for 24: Season 5.
    http://www.foxhome.com/24survey/choose.html

Recently Warner ran a poll for Brisco County, and Sony ran one for Rescue Me. I seem to recall there were a few others in the past, but I can't remember them.

I think it's a great idea when they do this. With so many sets released with awful -- and sometimes inaccurate -- packaging, it's nice to see some of the studios inviting us to become "involved" in the decision.

If the studios ran more cover art polls through forums like this, and the shows' "official" websites, I think we'd see much better packaging. The hardcore fans -- the ones who participate in these discussions and visit the shows' websites -- would likely be the best judges of proposed cover art. A poll would only need to be run for about a week, since most hardcore fans visit these sites at least once a week. The studios would quickly have their "winner" decided by the most "vocal" consumers.

The hardcore fans will buy their favorite shows -- regardless of the cover. But... A really classy and thoughtfully produced cover will not only please the hardcore fans, it'll possibly serve as an "eye-grabber" for the casual consumer who might have otherwise over-looked it. A better cover is a win-win situation for the studios and consumer.

The studios that ask for our input are to be commended. It's nice to be a small part of the process, and shows some studios really do care what we think.

Universal: Are you listening?

2. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    That was fun.

3. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I like that studios are willing to get fan input. It is nice to be a small part of the process.

4. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

I have to wonder why they included the UK Season 4 cover art as a contender for Season 5 though? Daft!

Great idea asking for fan input though. Not only does it mean there's more likelihood of it being tailored to the right consumers but it also gets fans geared up for the future releases! Nice one Fox (and the other studios that have done this)!

Universal does need to take note but I think they are improving. Their recent decisions about Northern Exposure (changing to single sided discs, reissuing seasons 1 and 2 together in packaging that keeps the series' look consistent) shows that they can listen and act when they want to (if only they had had second thoughts about their "music replacement" policy)!