What's new

Studio policies that irk you... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'm starting this thread cause i'm interested if some of the views I have are shared by others. Let me say that nearly all studios put out great product nowadays and the concerns they have towards restoration of older material is commendable! However much I may want to cheer on behalf a studio there's seems to be a policy (or seeming policy) that defies convention. Well here's a few of my thoughts:

WARNER:

Hands down the best video transfers, I haven't seen a bad one of theirs in years including older catalog titles. However the bad is the Snappers (only studio doing them) almost stubborn refusal to use DTS (other than Morgan Creek releases outside the test discs) and why do they still do 384kbs DD when the standard is 448kbs?? These things confound me??

ARTISAN

T2 EE. This studio has pushed the barrier once more on DVD. First with RSDL, the first DVD-18, and their special editions are high quality. If it's not a SE it sucks-- BIG TIME!! Even RESEVOIR DOGS isn't exempt!!

UNIVERSAL:

The held such promise to me with the ULTIMATE EDITION series (Film on one disc/ Special Features on the other) but now it seems they CRAM everything on one disc!! Also their transfers while generally good lack consistency. Please help me if there are any other 2 disc sets (outside RED DRAGON:DC) outside the ULTIMATE EDITION banner.

FOX:

I'm sorry but right now I can't really think of a complaint. Their video quality is up there (though not at the level of a Warner) and this studio I dare say is the most consumer friendly studio out there!! They offer it all!! Multi disc sets for appropriate films. DTS as an option on films that merit them. Real special features! Restorations of important older films. They may have some caveats but I haven't noticed them lately. Pricing they are also great at too!!! The best value of all studios!!

MGM:

Much improved and love the latest Bond package. They've gone from awful to pretty good!! Their pricing is fantastic. I'm surprised by how many of their titles i've got and that's mostly cause the price is right. However, their barebones titles are really bare. No effort to upgrade the sound formats to 5.1 (not that they all need them) and little restoration efforts on the older titles that I can tell. However, long way from where they used to be!

PARAMOUNT:

Improving!!

They've had mostly top notch transfers and to their credit they've almost always tried to remix to 5.1 when possible along with giving the original sound mix on most titles. When it comes to this studio it's always the same thing!! Value!!!

Pricing is still to high for catalog releases and they come with NO extras for the most part. Now they have been dropping some of their titles to competitive levels lately but still that lack of extras is bothering. Also the fact that multi disc sets don't seem to exist (only one's I can think of are Star Treks and Forrest Gump) help me out if there's other titles

COLUMBIA/TRISTAR

I guess this is my most frustrating studio!! I love the SUPERBIT line and though the premium on them isn't really worth it I appreciate they have a line that's on par with Warner! However it irks me that they know how to produce a beter product- yet they don't do it!! They hold back quality to produce a lesser quality product to the public, then sell them the quality they should have had from the beginning and charge a premium for it!! As we all know SB is simply more than doubling the data rate, it's eliminating the level of pre-filtering of the high frequency material before encoding!! If that didn't do this on the initial releases and offered the quality first and the extras next they'd be competitive with everyone's quality!! They also are shy on the multi disc releases!!

NEWLINE:

No complaints here!! They and FOX put out the best product appropriate for each title! Newline doesn't compromise the quality but always has top flight extras for the consumers and the pricing is right!!

BUENA VISTA:

Inconsistent!!!

This studio has released some stellar releases (Pearl Harbor: VS, TARZAN: Collector's series, PLATNINUM EDITION releases,) yet they still release garbage looking transfers on the older material and aren't even consistent in them being anamorphic. They also seem to be shying away from the extras!! However they have had some stellar releases at times and do offer the option of DTS.

Well theses are just a few of my thoughts! I'm really interested to hear yours???

David

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Those are all valid points, but to me it seems like almost all the studios are losing their grips on high quality dvd production. There seems to be a declining number of multi disk sets being released, and more flippers.:angry:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dan, what are you talking about? The only flipper I know of in the last year is Dances With Wolves. And we seem to be getting as many 2-disc sets as ever. Not everything used to be like Fight Club.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Warner and Disney's "nothing above an R" ratings policy means we don't get uncut versions of Scream, The Devils, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.

Almightily irritating.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Of all the big stuios, only Paramount chooses to subtitle the extras (except trailers) for the deaf and hearing impaired.

When the market was still "smaller" it may have been a valid excuse, but now there's really no excuse anymore for Warner or Fox not to subtitle all material on their dvd's.

The strange thing with Warner is, that a few months ago I bought the UK copy of Amadeus as a gift for someone (I have the R1) and I noticed the documentary on disc 2 did feature English subtitles.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it is policy to do this, but Disney subsidiary Dimension has yet to, near as I can tell, release a movie in their Jet Li Collection with original sound and language. All of those I've seen have been English-dubbed.

Granted, other Disney-related releases including the recent Miyazaki anime features provided an option for original language, what about live action features such as the aforementioned?

Apart from all of their excellent work, Fox, again unsure if it is policy, chose to English-dub fight choreographer Corey Yuen on the Kiss of the Dragon disc in the supplementary features.

The manner by which Warner handled fight choreographer Yuen Woo Ping's dialogue on their The Matrix Revisited disc was far better, nay, correct (Woo Ping's original voice provided with English subtitles).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
IMO Paramount's pricing policy has improved drastically as far as their movie-only editions are concerned.
Columbia, however, leaves a lot to be desired in that respect. Their 2 disc prices are okay, but movie-only releases with an SRP of 24.99 is just ridiculous these days.

Chris

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer and ADV's constant mucking with the original kanji titles on anime productions. It really messes with the composition of the opening credits. Other companies like Bandai, TRSI, Buena Vista HV and even Funimation have given consumers the original credits or an alternate angle with the original credits.

Something that companies have improved-upon are hard-subtitles (non-removable) for theme songs and signs... which are now all-but-extinct. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hands down the best video transfers, I haven't seen a bad one of theirs in years including older catalog titles. However the bad is the Snappers (only studio doing them) almost stubborn refusal to use DTS (other than Morgan Creek releases outside the test discs) and why do they still do 384kbs DD when the standard is 448kbs?? These things confound me??
I wonder... perhaps the lack of DTS and the low-bitrate Dolby is the reason their transfers are so damn good? If so, I'd gladly give up the difference in SQ.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

There've been plenty of complaints about Fox TV box sets, especially The X-Files (price, the "Triangle" fiasco), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (packaging, scratched discs, poor video quality, wrong music, wrong flags for some players), and Family Guy (censored commentaries).

Most of the movies have been fine, other than the continued presence of a non-anamorphic The Abyss and their total cave-in to the full-screen sect with reissues such as The Sound of Music proudly displaying "no black bars!" stickers.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Paramount not letting you skip all the multi-language FBI & MPAA warning crap.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Universal not letting us change audio tracks on the fly:angry: :thumbsdown: :angry: :thumbsdown: :angry: :thumbsdown:

Columbia-Tri Star & Disney MAR only releases of so many catalog titles. :angry:

Fox-slow release rate of The Simpsons other than that nothing

New LIne- nothing

Warner-snappers

Paramount- barebones DVDs for many popluar titles

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
New Line - For sitting on their catalog titles like, The Rapture, All Over Me, Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle, Wide Sargasso Sea, Short Cuts, Angel at My Table, Hoop Dreams, Kansas City, and more. :angry:

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I hate it that all studios don't put a naked Monica Belucci in EVERY movie being made.
In addition to that:),

-Columbia-TriStar and Disney's full-screen only releases
-Columbia-TriStar and Universal's constant double- and triple-dipping
-Paramount's bare bones catalog releases
-Universal's lack of catalog titles
-Artisan's laziness with almost everything that doesn't have the word "Terminator" in the title
-Fox' pandering to the Wal-Mart crowd with the "no black bars" sticker and sacrificing DTS and/or extras for a P&S version on the flipside (why don't they use DVD-14s so both versions can fit on one side plus extras, or 1 version + extras on one side and the other version on the flipside?)

I'm sure there's a lot more but that's all I can think of and, quite frankly, the snapper case doesn't bother me too much

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Another growing trend that's bugging me is the omission of trailers. Buena Vista, Paramount, and Sony have been doing this a lot more lately.

And don't go to the "music rights issue" card. If that's the case, then why could Paramount include the Star Dreck Nemesis teaser on the Search For Spock SE, but not on the Nemesis DVD? Why is the upcoming Chicago disc missing the trailer when all of its music is from the movie itself? It's simply laziness.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The sudden glut of DVD's that come with no insert. Call me silly, but it just looks cheap. If I wanted a missing insert, I'd buy previously owned DVD's.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (packaging, scratched discs, poor video quality, wrong music, wrong flags for some players),
The packaging is a problem

By "poor video quality" I'm assuming you're referring to the first 2 seasons which were shot on no money in 16mm, so of course it's not going to look shiny and new. Each season got progressively better thus far in video quality as the budget ramped up. As far as the "wrong flags", it's the RIGHT flags for how the material is encoded, it's just that your deck is auto-switching and that's not Fox's fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks