What's new

Studio Ghibli movies coming to DVD this year? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just hope we get the extras from the R2/3 discs, but with English subtitles.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kleist,

I understand that it is indeed there, but I was worried that the tint was so bad that it would deter from enjoying the film.

Wasn't a statement released by Ghibli saying that the transfer was approved by the DP on teh film?

If the R2 DVD indeed doesn't represent Miyazaki's vision, then i too would hope that the R1 DVD be free of the tint.

Anyway, this is not a film to be missed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would say that the 35mm prints are what it is intended to look like, since that is Miyazaki's preferred medium.
I'm pretty sure that the red is just a screwup, and someone ordered a CMA measure to prevent a recall. I do believe they wanted to push the reds a bit, but not to this point. I believe a TV engineer said it was about 500% overcompensation. The film is very red in color anyway, especially the interiors. Worse comes to worse, there are settings for PowerDVD to color correct it.
Personally I think we are very likely to at least get the making-of special. Even with DTS, the movie disc only clocks in at around 6GB so they could fit it on there should they decide to go single disc for some reason. I know the Leica reels (Miyazaki's watercolor storyboards wit hthe film on the alt. angle) have always been a big thing, personally I prefer to look at the art books. I usually watch some key segements then never look at them again.
BTW: I just watched it again tonight, and watch out for the Pixar homage that I didn't spot before :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If that was the case, they would have stopped butchering and dub-only Hong Kong movies by now. No, TOKUMA SHOTEN listened, and gave a "Japanese track or die" ultimatum
So Buena Vista Hong Kong movies have the same involvement that the Ghibli films have? In fact, didn't the original Ghibli arrangement contractually obligate Buena Vista to not cut the films? Did any previous Hong Kong flick released by Buena Vista have a successful campaign against it that caused Buena Vista to delay the release and then release it with the original soundtrack?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Did any previous Hong Kong flick released by Buena Vista have a successful campaign against it that caused Buena Vista to delay the release and then release it with the original soundtrack?
No, because the HK companies lack a "behanve or die" contract with Disney with millions of dollars at stake.

Disney doesn't give a shit. Bottom line. We beg, we plead, we make hundreds of phone calls and letters. I talked to the Vice President of Dimension films (who releases the majority of the HK product) for an hour on the phone. She carefully took note of my questions and said she'd call me back. It's been 6 months now, and 2 callbacks by me.

I've offered them opinion polls, I've offered them options like "If I can get enough people together to pay for the pressing of an original uncut version, will you do it" I've begged, I've pleaded, I've offered in every way to help, and all they give me is the finger

And if it weren't for Steve Alpert and Tokuma Shoten's active fan-appriciative involvement, they'd be doing the same thing with Ghilbi.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Even if Disney comes out with the R1s, what do you guys think is the likelihood of it being a 2 discer with the alternate angle storyboards? I know the new Grave of the Fireflies DVD from CPM is going to have it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like i said, since Tokuma is calling the shots, and prepping all materials for all Ghibli releases worldwide, I'd say 50/50

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And if it weren't for Steve Alpert and Tokuma Shoten's active fan-appriciative involvement, they'd be doing the same thing with Ghilbi.
And the contract with Ghibli that doesn't permit it. Ghibli does not seem willing to allow substantial changes to any of their films, but many Hong Kong studios do.

Let's face it, a lot of Hong Kong IP holders have sold out to Disney. They are as much to blame.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Extras are icing on the cake. I'll be satisfied with a nice transfer and the orig. language with good subs.

Though having said that (this may be heresy), I've yet to watch MONONOKE in japanese with subs. I think the english dubbing is xlnt, with the possible exception of Billy Bob.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And the contract with Ghibli that doesn't permit it. Ghibli does not seem willing to allow substantial changes to any of their films, but many Hong Kong studios do.
Michael, they WERE doing it! There was no Japanese track until we got Tokuma to force them!

Jim, you're missing on on some far superior performances

Peter Yee

Premium
Hmm, I'm not sure I would call the red tinting nasty -- it's not particularly apparent on my computer monitor watching the R2 DVD. Of course, I didn't see the original in theaters in Japan, so I have no basis for comparison.

Nonetheless, it's a great movie. I'm just a little surprised that the alternate soundtrack is French! I also picked up Kiki and Totoro while in Japan last month and they have English soundtracks as alternates. Would this have something to do with the DVD being prepared before the English dub for the US theatrical release was done?

Now I just need to pick up a good multi-region DVD player so I don't have to keep watching all of my R2 DVDs on my computer!

-Peter

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

You might be right. I'll give it a listen. But Jeff, ya' gotta' admit that the dub for MONONOKE is one of the best out there. I mean, compare it to GHOST IN THE SHELL or the orig. BUBBLEGUM CRISIS. I'll agree with you that the vast majority of the dubs are so bad they shouldn't even have been bothered with; but MONONOKE is, IMO, one that was well worth it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mononoke's dub doesn't cause me physical pain. I leave it at that. Minnie Driver is one of the very few people who EVER managed to equal the Japanese performance

Yes, the disc was finished before the English dub was, and Miyazaki has a thing for seeing his movies in French. Porco Rosso has a French track as well

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Getting Jeff to complement a dub is like pulling teeth, so that's as close to a complement you are going to get from him. :)
I do agree with him that Minnie Driver is the standout actress in the dub. She does an amazing job. With this and Tarzan, she should do more voice work.
But don't necissarily take it as to how good Disney's dubs are. Many people thought Phil Hartman took too many liberities in Kiki's Delivery Service, and those who have seen the dub for Castle In The Sky was less than overwhelming.
As for the French dub, well it has been released in France some time ago. The English Dub wasn't finished, and it also wouldn't be good to have it appear on a DVD before the US theatrical premere.
Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Disney's dubs for their own films tend to be decent as well. I've seen Peter Pan in Japanese and was pleasantly suprised at how close the voices were

Here's the difference: These actors in Japan look a the original performance and COPY. They don't try to make the part their own. That's part of what makes so many dubs so bad. Dubbing is NOT an improvisational art.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it's safe to say that Tonari no Yamada-kun is a LONG time off if ever

It's extremely Japanese and is not done by Miyazaki

The Region 2 DVD has English subs if you want it now

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Jeff said:

I have heard this and can't judge: I've only seen the dubbed version. However, I think the dub for KIKI is...

charming. I like it even better than MONONOKE...!

Let's just consider ourselves lucky the vast majority of the time they give us a choice between dub and sub. Don't know if anyone here is a Kaiju fan, but if so, you know how bad we've got it when it comes to that!

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta agree with the opnion on Yamadas...

I'd be surprised if there's a justifiable market for it on DVD here in the states.

sad indeed...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Phil Hartman's Jiji is an abortion of the character. I love Mr. Hartman's work, but it's not at ALL what Jiji is.

Jim, I know how badly Kaiju is treated. Fortunately everyone but Toho seems to have figured out that people who watch Kaiju don't want dubbing. Sony would LOVE to release those movies in their proper form, but until Toho lets them it's moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks