What's new

Studio Ghibli Co-founder and Director Isao Takahata has passed. (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The director of anime greats such as The Grave of The Fireflies and The Princess Kaguya has passed at the age of 82. He died on April 5th, 2018 due to undisclosed health conditions. He was one of the main contributors to the success of Studio Ghibli as a producer on over 20 of their features as well as a director on several of their acclaimed films: the previously mentioned TGoTF being his most well-known work.

His directorial debut Horus: Prince of The Sun AKA The Little Norse Prince in overseas markets was the first Japanese animated film that I remember seeing as a kid and its different tone in telling a fairy tale versus the Disney method has always stuck with me.

Condolences to his family and friends on the loss of a giant of the anime industry. Rest in Peace Takahata-san.

I searched for a thread on this and didn't see one. If a thread was previously started then please merge this with that one. Thanks.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
One of the greats. I would particularly recommend ONLY YESTERDAY (1991), an anime drama about a Tokyo office worker living in the country for the summer and flashbacking to her ten-year-old self for clues about the next stage of her life. It's beautifully drawn and tells a compelling, heartwarming story about a woman making choices for herself in contemporary Japan.

Here she is being silently shadowed by her ten-year-old self and her 5th grade classmates:

MV5BNjMzOGU1MjQtYjI4Ni00NjdlLTgxOGEtMmJlZTE4MjkzYjhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another +1 for Only Yesterday. I was finally able to see that film during its theatrical release here a couple years ago, and it was worth the ridiculously long wait. It is truly a remarkable, beautiful and deeply moving film. I also have to say that GKIDS did a first-class job on its English dub. Anybody who hasn't seen the movie yet is strongly encouraged to seek out the Blu-ray now.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Yesterd...0Q0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523509821&sr=8-1

Rest in peace, Mr. Takahata, and thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks