What's new

Studio Day 2001 DVD news (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
On the fantasy/scifi front:
I'm a little pissed Columbia still hasn't issued a date for any more Ray Harryhausen catalog titles. However, BV's mention of 20,000 Leagues is excellent news!
And Warner continues to sit on Soylent Green, Omega Man, Time After Time, THX-1138, Valley Of The Gwangi, O Lucky Man, Kurosawa's Dreams, Strange Brew and Clash Of The Titans. Not to mention the Hammer titles they own. Hrumpf!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was disappointed by a lot of the news from Studio Day. Particularly, Columbuia's lack of TV support because they own 3 of my favorite series that I would definitely buy in season boxes (2 of which DVDFile mentioned in their report). Also, I'm disappointed in Paramount waiting until 2003 for Major League and not having Police Squad planned at all. One of the best pieces of news in my opinion is the SE of UHF due next year, which I had already heard about, but at least it's confirmed now.
BTW, did anyone ask Columbia about the oft-rumored Groundhog Day SE? Since it sounds like they're focusing on reissues next year, that gives me hope, but DVDFile's report didn't mention it. Thanks.
[Edited last by Scott_J on September 30, 2001 at 12:34 PM]

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I don't know about you guys but I didn't get excited at all
about this Studio Day.
I feel as if the studio's don't feel like giving anything away.
frown.gif

Paramount :
I am pretty excited about those Eddie Murphy dvd's coming.
I wanted to have those Beverly Hills Cop Trioligy for a long time.
Nothing surprising that Paramount said "Ask George" about
the Indiana Jones Trioligy but I think that doesn't say
anything.
They always denied that Episode 1 was in production so this
one could still be coming in the near future.
Warner :
I realy hate the fact that they don't support DTS though.
Maybe there will be more on that this week with the Warner
Chat !!
Fox :
You just gotta love these guys.
They realy do give us pretty nice dvd's and I am looking
forward to Planet Of The Apes !!
I am pretty excited about True Lies and Speed !
Other than that I hope that they realy make a nice dvd out
of From Hell.
Universal :
ET and Schindler's List next year is a very nice treat indeed.
I am however hopefull that we will see Back To The Future
Trioligy by the end of 2002 , so here's hoping !!
Universal will probably go on with their Ultimate Edition
line (Mummy Returns anyone) but I hope they still are making
the first release the best and only release !
MGM :
Nothing spectacular planned.
But I will be looking into Dances With Wolves SE, Where Eagles dare and Robocop.
Buena Vista :
I am very excited about their animation releases next year.
Pocahontas SE , Hunchback 1-2 , Atlantis , Cinderella 2, Peter Pan SE , Beauty And The Beast SE , Monsters Inc and much more will make next year a real treat.
On their live-action movies side I can't realy see anything yet other then The Others and Tombstone VISTA.
Columbia Tristar :
Well what can you say about CT.
They are releasing more catalog reissues next year and some
of them I will be picking up.
On the Superbit label I expect that we will be seeing more
recent theaterical hits being released through Superbit.
Likely titles could be :
GODZILLA
ANACONDA
CHARLIES ANGELS
VERTICAL LIMIT
SIXTH DAY
CLIFFHANGER
Who knows but I hope they will do something nice with all of
those titles.
New Line Cinema :
Well they have one title on their list next year and we all
know what that will be !!
Yes Lord Of The Rings.
Early rumours have it that it could be a Infinifilm Edition
since ,as they say, is doing very well.
Also next year Blade 2 is coming so that will surely be a nice edition.
To bad that they don't release Platinum Series anymore.
That's my opinion on the titles spoken about on Studio Day.
Let's hope that 2002 will bring more great titles that we all want so that we as dvd-fans can enjoy movies the way it
was meant to be.
------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I am a little dissapointed that Major League may not be getting a release untill 2003.
On the other hand I am very happy that the Friday the 13th movies will be getting a SE treatment eventually. And that Jason Goes To Hell will be here soon and also Anchor Bay I hope you do release Psycho 4.
I am dissapointed that there will be no BETTER OFF DEAD yet
* Sigh *
Oh well, I am happy to see some titles I like getting a release.
Thank You for the report Peter and keep up the great work at DVDfile.com I love that site.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Kudos to Mark for starting this thread and asking about Ran, and to Dave for summarizing a status list of forthcoming titles.
yum.gif

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Good:
MGM re-releases SE's for Fargo (I guess I'll have to sell my current version), and The Usual Suspects (glad I waited).
Warner re-releases SE's for Goodfellas and Amadeus.
Bad:
Buena Vista delay for SE's of Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and The Three Colours Trilogy. Damn!!
Ugly/Frustrating:
No mention of Warner re-releasing Fearless.
How long will this title remain in P&S/full-frame hell?!!!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Woohoo for Buena Vista, I can't wait for the new donald and mickey sets hopefully both treasures series.
Does anyone know if the swiss family robinson, lovebug, 20,000 leagues, or parent trap will be getting the treasures treatment. Only downer in my opinion was no mnetion of Old Yeller or Tombstone SE (hopefully Vista Series).
I'm also ecstatic about the King Kong news (CK/Dr.Z treatment woohoo!) Singin in the rain 50th (I agree with DAve, nothing else makes sense for that year), ET, Goodfellas and Usual Suspects SEs. ugghh i'm really going to have to budget carefully to get everythign that's going to be coming out.
Adam

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I am quite disappointed that these titles won't be coming soon (at least in the first half of 2002) :
Miller's Crossing(Fox)
Barton Fink(Fox)
Laura(Fox)
Heavenly Creatures(Disney)
Pulp Fiction: SE(Disney)
Jackie Brown: SE(Disney)
Three Colors Trilogy(Disney)
I am excited about these :
The Hustler: SE(Fox)
Usual Suspects: SE(MGM)
Fargo: SE(MGM)
Raging Bull: SE(MGM)
Where Eagles Dare(MGM)
Sunset Boulevard(Paramount)
The Treasure of Sierra Madre(Warner)
Blade Runner: SE(Warner)
Klute(Warner)
Goodfellas: SE(Warner)
Short Cuts: SE(Newline)
[Edited last by Deepak Shenoy on September 30, 2001 at 01:58 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I hope that there is a seamless branching version of Heavenly Creatures available.
To be honest, a lack of extras wouldn't wound me, but two people on the end titles are credited with "Video Diary", which has distinct possibilities, not to mention the mass of original documentation of the case (plus there is a TV interview with Juliet Hulme - under her new identity - conducted a few years ago that Roger Ebert talks about in his review)...
In any case, it's a disc I've been after for years, so as long as it's anamorphic widescreen, I'm chuffed.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Maybe we should've held Quentin hostage until he promised to get a move-on in getting BV to release his films faster!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The news about the NON-Region 1 SEs of Predator and, in particular, Starman are particularly irritating. I know a Predator SE is in the works (I talked to the discs producer after the panel) and Starman has been in the can for some time. Couldn't Sony figure out that the less-than-strong R1 sales for Starman were due in part to (a) zero publicity and (b) a mediocre transfer? These kinds of decisions often seem like a slap in the face to fans.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
yeah i have to agree the non region 1 news was irrating, i think they are making a big mistake of not releasing starman in region 1. Come on this is a wonderful movie, I can see a special edition doing very well, the barebones was not much of a dvd Even through i bought it because i love the movie. But with a commentary and so fourth that special edition would be a sure buy for me. Hopefully they rethink and release it in region 1

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Comments to the effect that the financial state of the DVD market does not support the release of certain titles & types of titles is pure horse manure! These same studios put out a GREAT many of these titles on LD & the LD market is a lot smaller.

Rollo Lee

Agent
Mark Carpelletty - Did you get a chance to find out what the features on the Predator SE would be?
------------------
"Who was that guy?"
"Your momma! Now shut up and drag me to work!"
- Fry and Bender, 'Futurama'

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Roots is coming!! YES!!! I wish Warner would present it in its original eight parts (unlike recent airings and vhs which combined episodes.) At any rate, I can't wait! This is one film that touched my life deeply.

Lafe F

Second Unit
But thinking back to last year's Studio Day, how many MORE titles have been released in the past year that weren't discussed there?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Rollo,
I'm afraid I didn't. I know that it's in the works, however; as to content, I'm assuming a documentary and a commentary. I had always heard through the grapevine that they'd never do a SE of this title because that the original Predator design had been scrapped early into the production, shutting it down and necessitating the hiring of Stan Winston & co. to redesign the beast to the creature we're familiar with. Like Rick Baker's work for "Night Skies" (the darker version of "Close Encounters" which Spielberg jettisonned), I thought there were long-term non-disclosure agreements about these designs.
And no "r's" in my last name!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks