What's new

Studio Day 2001 DVD news (1 Viewer)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
(Since there's no "official Studio Day thread" yet, I figured I'd start one and see what happens.... If another, "official" thread starts, I can always repost there.)
Just got back from Studio Day 2001 at Dave's Video -- the place was crawling with HTF'ers!!!
biggrin.gif
Besides getting to see sneak previews of Episode I, Snow White and Holy Grail: SE, of course we got to bombard studio reps with questions about our fave DVDs! Only could remember a couple of titles to ask about (forgot to make a list beforehand).
On the Ang Lee angle, according to the MGM rep, Eat Drink Man Woman is due sometime next year. No word on features, tho. It's unclear who currently has the rights to The Wedding Banquet -- Fox did have them in the VHS era, but they don't anymore. Peter Staddon thought Paramount might, but I didn't get a chance to ask the Paramount rep about that.
According to the MGM rep, no release date as of yet for Zhang Yimou's To Live.
One of my favorite Coen Brothers films, Miller's Crossing, is awaiting a future Coen Brothers theatrical release before coming out as a Fox DVD tie-in release (same goes for Barton Fink), probably next year, according to Peter.
BTW, Episode I looked and sounded awesome!!! Should be a must-have for most HTF'ers, Jar-Jar and Jake Lloyd aside.... :)
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Please tell me someone asked about Fox about something rare like Terror Train, and not just a million questions about DVDs we already know are going to come out. :)
More than likely, a sample dialogue by an HTFer:
HTFer: "Is Episode One really coming out?"
FOX REP: "Yes."
HTFer: "Seriously?"
HTFer: "Um, will it have a trailer?"
HTFer: "Will it...."
rolleyes.gif

[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 29, 2001 at 05:52 PM]

Mark Lee

Second Unit
The place was full to the gills with HTF'ers, as well as Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits, Peter Bracke from DVD File, and a number of other sites' bigwigs, so I suspect many of them will have prepared more comprehensive want lists before setting foot in there today, and should be able to answer your questions.
Ooh, almost forgot! Talked to the Anchor Bay rep, and asked a question no one seems to have asked at the recent chat -- what's the deal with Akira Kurosawa's Ran? As far as he knew, Anchor Bay had not in fact sold the rights back to Fox Lorber (as one rumor had it), and that Anchor Bay was still planning to put out their own SE disc eventually; however, he was unaware of any current activity being done on this title. So, a "good news/bad news" kind of thing: on the one hand, Fox Lorber won't have the chance to screw this up again, but on the other hand, Anchor Bay's own edition doesn't look to be coming out anytime real soon....
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Oh yeah, (not to pad my own thread or anything :)), Quentin Tarantino showed up around midday, though seemingly strictly as a shopper -- he was clutching about 4 or 5 DVDs as he headed out the door.
------------------
Mark K. Lee
- Tom Lehrer

DanR

Supporting Actor
After going through the information at DVDFile.com it seems like every year this event is becoming less and less a source of upcoming title news. Perhaps as DVD has grown Studios are now keeping release plans more closely guarded. At least that what I'm hoping.
The only decent news there was, IMHO, is that Paramount is opening the Eddie Murphy vault next year. Of course, that in and of itself is bittersweet news because we know that those Eddie Murhpy titles are in the same "A-list release group" as Indiana Jones (according to Martin Blythe of Paramount). This basically obliterates any chance of truth to the rumor that at least one Indiana Jones movie is coming in the first half of 2002. In fact, it sounds like we aren't getting Indiana Jones in 2002 at all.
Oh well.
Regards,
Dan

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, MGM revealed that their-most requested title right now is none other than Weird Al Yankovic's box office bomb UHF, so they are working with Al on a special edition due in mid-2002.
I'm not the only one! "One of us, one of us...."
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

todd s

Senior HTF Member
After reading the dvdfile report I felt letdown. Don't get me wrong their are some cool titles coming out. But, I was hoping to hear some more positive responses to tv shows. For example Babylon 5. They said that poor vhs sales are partially to blame. Uh, hello! Right after releasing the vhs tapes, they hint that they will be coming to dvd. So myself and probably lots of other people stopped buying. Also, Whats up with Major League not coming out until 2003?? Oh well, maybe things will change.

While there isn't much from the DVD File report that excited me, the news from Paramount is definately reassuring. We'll finally get Beverly Hills Cop on DVD, as well as a special edition of both Top Gun and the Jack Ryan trilogy. All of these have definately been on my wishlist for some time now.
Joe vs. the Volcano from Warner is good news as well.
------------------
Nate Thompson

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Summing things up in a hurry here. I did it for my own wishlist, but I can paste it here. I still encourage everyone to read through the articles themselves, as there is much I'm leaving out here (for instance, if I don't want it at all then it's not on my list, even if 50,000 other people do want it and it's coming next spring). I also left off things I knew about, but you all might not know about certain things yet (like the Peter Pan SE, as an example).
* = Coming Soon
** = Planned sooner
*** = Planned later

• *Beverly Hills Cop
    *Beverly Hills Cop II
    *Beverly Hills Cop III
    *Joe Vs. The Volcano
    *Used Cars - Special Edition
    **All That Jazz
    **Amadeus - Special Edition
    **Blade Runner - 20th Anniversary Edition
    **Duel
    **E.T. - Special Edition
    **Fatal Attraction - Special Edition
    **Flashdance
    **Footloose
    **Goodfellas - Special Edition
    **Gremlins - Special Edition
    **Gremlins 2 - Special Edition
    **Heavenly Creatures
    **Innerspace
    **Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet
    **King Kong
    **Klute
    **Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    **Monsters, Inc.
    **One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Special Edition
    **Philadelphia - 2 Disc Special Edition
    **Pocahontas - Colletor's Edition
    **Poltergeist - 20th Anniversary Edition
    **Poltergeist II: The Other Side
    **Reds
    **Sabrina
    **Say Anything
    **Schindler's List
    **Serpico
    **Speed - 5 Star Edition
    **Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Special Edition
    **Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete First Season
    **Stargate SG-1 Season 2
    **Starship Troopers - 2 Disc Special Edition
    **Stripes - Special Edition
    **The Bad News Bears
    **The Color Purple - Special Edition
    **The Day the Earth Stood Still
    **The Hustler
    **The Others
    **The Parent Trap
    **The Rose
    **The Sure Thing
    **The Treasure of Sierra Madre
    **Top Gun - Special Edition
    **Top Secret
    **True Lies - 5 Star Edition
    **Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Special Edition
    **UHF
    **Valley of the Dolls
    **Victor/Victoria - Special Edition
    ***20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
    ***A Very Brady Sequel
    ***Dial M for Murder
    ***Donald Duck Shorts Collection
    ***Ed Wood
    ***Escape from New York - Special Edition
    ***Escape from Witch Mountain
    ***Herbie The Love Bug
    ***John Hughes Collection Box Set
    ***Major League
    ***Mickey Mouse Shorts Collection
    ***Popeye
    ***Pretty in Pink
    ***Return to Witch Moutain
    ***Roots - 25th Anniversary Box Set
    ***Singin' In The Rain - 50th Anniversary Edition
    ***Some Kind of Wonderful
    ***Swiss Family Robinson
    ***The Andromeda Strain - Special Edition
    ***The Brady Bunch Movie
    ***The Fog - Special Edition
    ***The Grapes of Wrath
    ***The Hunger
    ***Trading Places

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
WeThePeople.jpg

[Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 30, 2001 at 03:44 AM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
After reading the DVDfile reports, there are a few bits of good news. While a long way off at least If... (McDowell commentary please!) and Trading Places are on the list.
Buenna Vista is listing Heavenly Creatures as coming sometime next year (campaign begins for the long cut).
MGM is saying The Hunger is coming, though I was previously told they don't own it anymore...
and New Line is saying they want to do the best Twin Peaks FWWM, which can only mean one thing, including the deleted scenes. Make it happen folks.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the report guys-- particularly you, Dave Lambert, who gets Above & Beyond The Call of Duty award for putting together that list.
I wasn't able to make it up to the events until about 2:30 today because of a work situation that came up at the last minute. I missed the cool demos and didn't get to say hi to Ron and the guys, alas. I did, however, get to see how little some of my Criterion LDs are worth (in the sale bin). OOF!
Also, Perry from Anchor Bay wasn't sure what the situation with the later Wim Wenders titles was; the German films are coming, that's for sure, but Paris Texas and Wings of Desire -- as far as I can tell -- haven't been acquired by them just yet.
[Edited last by Mark Cappelletty on September 29, 2001 at 11:07 PM]

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
No! I want the US cut of Heavenly Creatures! The guy who played Orson Welles in the film wrote to DVD Journal a couple months back when this release was discussed saying that he's spoken with Jackson and the director now prefers the re-edit. While at first reluctant to do it, he now thinks it is tighter and flows better. It's the only cut I've ever seen and I think it is perfect as is so any tinkering might ruin it for me!
NO PETITIONS!!!!! Let Jackson decide how he wants his film seen.

PeterB

Agent
Howdy
Peter here from DVDFILE. I have to agree, Studio Day was less exciting than years past, probably because many of the big catalog tiltes have already come out. Also, studios like Columbia are running out of big library titles to do, so we're getting lots of reissues. Also, some studios feel DVD still isn't big enough to support things like TV episode collections. Maybe 2002 is a transitional year of sorts?
I wasn't able to stay for the producer's panel, but Bill Hunt at The Bits should have a report, so I'll be interested to read it and other sites' updates.
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I too was a little "underwhelmed" by the titles announced and upset by what seems to be "in limbo" or "under consideration". First let's start off with the good!
Eddie Murphy and the BEVERLY HILLS COP movies are coming out, though really wished my favorite BOOMERANG was talked about. ALL THAT JAZZ and THE HUSTLER and THE VERDICT (though those titles had been rumored for this year) along with 5 STAR of TRUE LIES and SPEED! A Special Edition of FATAL ATTRACTION (please let it have an Adrian Lyne commentary and branching to chose the "original" ending.) RAINMAN, GOODFELLAS, THE COLOR PURPLE SE's coming along with ET and DUEL from Speilberg and of course USED CARS,FOOTLOOSE and FLASHDANCE!
The bad:
No new studios adding DTS as an option, the apparent limbo status of the following: BACK TO THE FUTURE, TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA, INDIANA JONES TRILOGY, WYATT EARP, DICK TRACY and BEACHES. It amazes me how Disney continues to overlook their TOUCHSTONE catalog on DVD, What's up with WARNER's delay of WYATT EARP (this was rumored 2 years ago)! Still no mention of movies like FAME and YEAR OF THE DRAGON!
Wanted to get really pumped up about titles from this years report, hopefully deals will get done and 2002 will end up being a great year!
David

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
This is what REALLY bothers me.
quote: Also note that as DVD goes international, some titles will be released overseas but not in Region 1, due either to syndication issues or marketing concerns (i.e., too many versions of the same title too soon is my interpretation) include Futurama, an anamorphic Planet Of The Apes set, and a Predator SE (which will be released overseas in 2002 but not here.) [/quote]
I can sort of understand Futurama, because of syndication issues although it still really hack me off. The Planet of The Apes issue really burns me up though. There are already anamorphic masters and have been for some time. Fox has said repeatedly that they HAVE NO PLANS to reissue the films with anamorphic enhancement. Now they do have plans but only overseas. WHY?!?!?!?!
They had the perfect chance when the box set was reissued recently. Japan already has an anamorphic POTA. Why can't the US get one.
There seems to be a really bad undercurrent to this years studio day. What does "poor sales" mean? Isn't DVD the fastest growing consumer format ever? Why would "poor sales" keep Columbia Tri Star from releasing an already completed title in the US but allow them to release it overseas(Starman SE). I would think that the US has the biggest dvd market in the world.
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs
[Edited last by Roby Adams on September 30, 2001 at 03:47 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: Thanks for the report guys-- particularly you, Dave Lambert, who gets Above & Beyond The Call of Duty award for putting together that list.[/quote]
Ahhh, I was putting it together anyway. No prob. I just hope Peter doesn't mind me combing his stuff and putting the list together.
I am particularly fond of seeing these items on that list:
Beverly Hills Cop, Used Cars, Blade Runner - 20th Anniversary Edition, Duel, Flashdance, Footloose, King Kong, Say Anything, The Bad News Bears, The Color Purple - Special Edition, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Parent Trap, The Rose, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Top Secret, Victor/Victoria, Dial M for Murder, Escape from Witch Mountain, Major League, Popeye, The Fog, The Hunger, Trading Places
I may have left a couple off, but essentially these titles are among the must-haves I see on that list which I had actually started to DESPAIR of seeing on DVD! I don't even mind waiting a year for Trading Places, as long as I know it is definately coming. Personally, I would rather that they keep E.T. as long as I can get Duel, Used Cars, Bad News Bears, Major League, Flashdance, Footloose, and especially Victor/Victoria!!! YESSSSS!
Won't you...play me...le jazz hot...ba-bee...it's holdin' my soul...to-ge-ther!
Chi-ca-go Illinois...is like a shiney toy...
Oh give me a home...where the buffalo roam...where the deer and the antelope...are gay! :)
I'm very glad that I can get all of the above AND E.T. as icing on the cake. There is no doubt now that my DVD collection will not only break the one grand mark, but that it could easily double that by end of 2002, provided the money keeps coming in to afford it all. So many DVDs, so little time!!
One other thing about the list I posted. I'm GUESSING that "Singin' In The Rain" is the 50-year-old musical owned currently by Warner that is getting the special treatment. Nothing else that year makes sense, as - of the other 4 big musicals that year - none have lasted as long as this one, and 2 are owned by Fox and 2 seem to be owned by MGM (well, Hans Christian Anderson definately is, as that DVD is already out from them in a very bare-bones edition). So, unless some rights have shifted or I'm missing something else, SitR it must be! Elementary, my dear Watson.
2nd runner-up would be Show Boat, which - like SitR - is an MGM title now owned by WB, is about 50 years old (though it came out in 1951, not 1952), and is considered classic enough to get special treatment. But, while I think a lot of that film, I don't think it's in the same league as SitR.
And a final comment. I'm disappointed that some of the studios are still using "not enough players out there" as any sort of excuse to refrain from putting out product. Particularly glaring is Columbia TriStar saying this: "In terms of TV programming, or any sort of "nice price" budget line a la MGM's Midnite Movies line, Columbia reps indicated that they don't feel the DVD market has yet reached that critical mass required to make such releases economically feasible. So those of you waiting for TV fare such as Married With Children, more Charlie's Angels episodes or The Critic, you'll probably be waiting awhile."
What? With 20 Million DVD players, plus computers, laptops, and videogame consoles on top of that, what exactly are you guys waiting for? How big does it have to be? Especially since Warner Bros and Fox seem to be able to make a profit off of the same concepts?
Uh huh. I think I'll run out and nab a copy of Charlie's Angels while the getting is good. I'dve rather waited for in-episode order stuff, but it seems that they need convincing. And I'll need a hold-me-over until they wake up. Sheesh.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
WeThePeople.jpg

[Edited last by Robert Crawford on September 30, 2001 at 06:11 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks