Studio CC with monitor

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rick Thoms, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

I have the monitor 5 speakers for my mains and I'm looking at a center. I know where I can get a used CC for cheaper than a new 370. They say the 370 matches the monitors so would I be going backwards getting the CC. Thanks

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I have the monitor 3s with a v3 cc370 and like them very much. I think you may regret not going with the timbre matched center.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, the CC would be better than the monitor center, but it wouldn't match. Myself, I'd go with the better one if it's cheaper especially. If you're picky about matching, then perhaps you should get the 370. Tough call. I'm big on 2-channel so matching, isn't that big a deal for me.

4. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

By matching you mean in "sound" or the type of speaker? Thanks

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Timbral match.

The 370 uses the same drivers as the rest of the monitor series, thus will have very similar sound. You could say they are "timmbre-matched." A different speaker from a different brand would have a different sound, thus when sounds pan across the front, they will change in timbre as it goes through the center, then back again, for instance. Ideally you want ALL your speakers to be timbre-matched. The Studio CC is a step UP from the monitor series, uses different drivers, and while it has a similar "Paradigm" type sound, you could say, it will not be as good a timbre match to your monitor series mains. That being said, it is a better speaker than the 370, so it's a tough call. I would lean towards getting the CC, ESPECIALLY since it's cheaper than the 370 for you. The match won't be *perfect,* but it should sound better with voices and such coming through the center. It's your call. But if you think of it as getting a *better* speaker for LESS money, it's hard not to go that way...

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a v3 CC370 for sale for much less than new. OBM, will work with you on shipping, depending on where you are.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=monitor

I agree, the Stuido CC is better, but the 5s with the 370 made for an excellent front stage at this price point. Unless you are going to upgrade to Studio mains in the near future, I would recommend going with the 370 (and I'm not just saying that to get you to buy it).