What's new

Studio Canal HD DVDs will feature DTS-HD Master Audio (1 Viewer)

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62639

All 25 Studio Canal release will feature DTS-HD Master Audio.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Terri Chu

Grip
Real Name
Terri Chu
DTS-HD Master Audio can only be transferred via HDMI or analog right? there is no DTS downconversion option, AFAIK, based on the info page on dts website.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
As far as I'm aware of that is correct, just like Dolby TrueHD. I guess we'll know more when a player capable of transmitting DTS-HD master audio comes out.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Do they decode DTS-HD Master Audio, or just the core, or what? The Ver2 upgrade did not mention adding DTS lossless capability--or maybe I missed it.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
From what I understand DTS HD ("core only" as stated on the box and stuff) means HD in 5.1 channels.

It would be pretty stupid to adverstise DTS HD decoding, but only in regular DTS as it would completely negate the need for it at all.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't seem like the Toshiba, from its literature, can do DTS Master Audio, only the lossy 1.5 Megabits/sec core.

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
And don't forget a player that has HDMI 1.3 output capabilities as well or your new surround decoder won't be worth much. :D

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
OK...DTS-HD will be 5.1 then? Not to veer off topic but I've read that the current Dolby Digital True HD available on current releases is supposedly only 2 channels at the moment. Is that true or is it 5.1 and higher? The reason I don't buy any of the new releases on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is I would like to see more titles with those two audio res as opposed to DD+ or plain DTS.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Check the titles. Phantom of the Opera and Training Day are both True HD for 5.1.

The 2.0 you are referring to I think was the old firmware for the HD-A1 players. Out of the box, they supported only 2 channel decoding and playback. With the new firmware it is 5.1.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I Belive that these three titles are the only ones that currently contain Dolby True HD Tracks.

Constantine,
Phantom Of The Opera, Training Day

Before I updated my HD-A1 I tried to play back the Dolby True HD track and the player would not allow it. After updating the firmware to ver2.0 it allowed Dolby True HD 5.1 playback. I would however like to see more new releases with Dolby True HD soon. I would also like to see some DTS-HD Master Audio once the new processors are available in recievers and pre/pros. I just hope that we see an end to mpeg2 Bluray discs and that issue will be finally put to rest. I am looking foward to breath taking Bluray transfers and the use of newer audio surround codex as well.

I would also like to see before the end of next year a second release of Terminator 2 with a better VC-1 transfer and DTS-HD.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Whenever I browse through titles on Blu Ray or DVD HD I always check the audio specs to see if it sports DDTrue HD. It is indeed good news that some issues will have DTS-HD coming up. I spoke to a rep at Sonic Frontiers who confirmed that they will be able to upgrade my aged but still fine AVM-20 with decoders for Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD. Just biding my time for now...

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Perfect Storm also includes Dolby TrueHD and so does Troy which was released today.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Mmmm maybe I should pick up a copy of Troy this friday.

The only bumber is that these titles are going to be 5.1 and I think its time we start getting a minimum of 6.1 mixes on our HD discs. I will still be seeing if Troy is available when I go shopping this friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks