What's new

International Studio Canal Basic Instinct Restoration (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
176875619_3857307940989188_7871795642083262279_n.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Will be interesting to see which company StudioCanal has used for the 4K UHD mastering. Out of StudioCanal's output for 2020, Breathless was restored by L’Immagine Ritrovata, Le Cercle Rouge and Total Recall by Hiventy, Mandabi by VDM, The Elephant Man by Fidelity In Motion, The Ladykillers and Flash Gordon by Silver Salt. Of these released on 4K UHD, Breathless, Elephant Man, The Ladykillers and Flash Gordon were reference quality.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will be interesting to see which company StudioCanal has used for the 4K UHD mastering. Out of StudioCanal's output for 2020, Breathless was restored by L’Immagine Ritrovata, Le Cercle Rouge and Total Recall by Hiventy, Mandabi by VDM, The Elephant Man by Fidelity In Motion, The Ladykillers and Flash Gordon by Silver Salt. Of these released on 4K UHD, Breathless, Elephant Man, The Ladykillers and Flash Gordon were reference quality.
If you read the article, it states that Hiventy was the company that was looking at the film elements so I'm assuming they're the ones that did the 4K work. By the way, it's going to be the extended version according to that article.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
By the way, it's going to be the extended version according to that article.
I wouldn't call it an "extended version." It's the film as intended. It was changed for the US market and I wish that version was being preserved as well with branching. Jerry Goldsmith recorded unique versions of some cues for the R-rated American cut. I talk a little about that here.

I'm hopeful this release looks good. This movie has had mediocre transfers over the years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really hoping the encoding is solid as some of these Studio Canal titles can have issues.

Both THE ELEPHANT MAN and DON'T LOOK NOW looked superb in 4k from this studio.

In fact, I would say THE ELEPHANT MAN is the best 4k presentation I have ever seen as far as picture quality is concerned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't call it an "extended version." It's the film as intended. It was changed for the US market and I wish that version was being preserved as well with branching. Jerry Goldsmith recorded unique versions of some cues for the R-rated American cut. I talk a little about that here.

I'm hopeful this release looks good. This movie has had mediocre transfers over the years.
Tell that to Lionsgate that has labeled it the Unrated Director's Cut on the Blu-ray that I own.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

In fact, I would say THE ELEPHANT MAN is the best 4k presentation I have ever seen as far as picture quality is concerned.
I watched the first 15 minutes of the 4K digital the other day and I was amaze how good it looked on my OLED.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

That's good to know, but their encoding on the Rambos, Red Heat, and Total Recall was problematic. Mind you, the underlying transfers on these were excellent, but the encoding...ugh.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched the first 15 minutes of the 4K digital the other day and I was amaze how good it looked on my OLED.

There is something about B&W films that really shine when properly restored on both 4k and Blu-ray.

NEBRASKA is one of the best-looking Blu-ray discs I have ever seen.

Reactions: PMF

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There was a discussion about Total Recall's encoding issues in RAH's thread. However, this is one of those issues that is greatly mitigated with Dolby Vision (which I don't have). In addition, it's one of those issues that some are more sensitive to than others...like everything I suppose.

Keeping fingers crossed they knock this out of the park as surely it's an improvement upon the very old master from the BD! This is one movie that never got old for me.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Tell that to Lionsgate that has labeled it the Unrated Director's Cut on the Blu-ray that I own.;)
I see a disconnect between these two concepts. "Extended Version" implies that the film is extended from its original version, while "Unrated Director's Cut" suggests that this is the director's intended version and that either the original rating has been surrendered [the case here], or this version was never submitted to the MPA. It's a distinction with a difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see a disconnect between these two concepts. "Extended Version" implies that the film is extended from its original version, while "Unrated Director's Cut" suggests that this is the director's intended version and that either the original rating has been surrendered [the case here], or this version was never submitted to the MPA. It's a distinction with a difference.
I wasn’t serious as I have no problem with Neil’s description of that film version.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Interesting. The publicity notes that the OCN was cut to the U.S. general release version, and that the long version only existed as a dupe negative.

Big question...

Where would a dupe negative come from?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Before I fully grasped what DNR was I thought Basic Instinct was among the best-looking BDs in my collection. I hope they go easy on the DNR this time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks