Studio Apartment Rig

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bobbi, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Bobbi

Bobbi Auditioning

Nov 24, 2003
    I am brand new to HT though I've been around the audio scene for a while.

I am happy with my PC/Audio setup. I have +/- 10,000 tracks MP3/OGG/APE on my HD Ghosted to an identical 120GB HD.

I use J. River Media Center 9 to manage the library and to output to my receiver through a Stereo-Link 1200 USB device. This feeds my HK 3370 receiver via RCA plugs. Strictly 24 bit stereo. Two channels R/L.

The HK drives a pair of Meadowlark Swifts, which happily replaced Paradigm Atoms a while ago. They are positioned to provide a good sound stage from my keyboard and another sweet spot.

I live in a typically small NYC studio apartment--call it 14 X 14 feet--the living/bedroom. Hardwood floors. Minimal drapes--8 foot ceilings. Wallboard.

My primary interest will continue to be music over the existing system. However I have an interest in film and would like to create an HT using maybe a 27" TV and cheap DVD player. I am mostly interested in Film Noir. Old films from the '30's to '50's. Bogart. Hayward. Ingrid Bergman. Casa Blanca, Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep and such. Mostly B&W.

I'll be looking to Netflix or similar to provide the film on DVD.

I want to hang the TV from the ceiling so that it can pivot 90 degrees for viewing angles.

My questions are:

1. What TV?

2. What bracket to hang from ceiling?

3. What DVD player?

4. What interconnect with computer? Why?

Thanks for replies.
  2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    WOW your system sounds eerily like my brother Patrick's set-up! He's got an HK3270 running a pair of B&W601s in his studio, there's a CD player and a MiniDisc machine, but the primary source is a 24 bit sound card in his studio computer.

Since space is such an important issue in such an environment, I'd recommend doing what Pat did - Buy a decent all-in-one DVD/receiver system for home theater, and keep using your existing high quality music system for stereo music. He got a Sony Dream system for his DVD player, it is perfect in the environment.

I have no idea about the bracket or such. I don't trust such things with a TV bigger than 20" ina pool room.

I'll email him right now......
  3. Ben Stern

Ben Stern Stunt Coordinator

Apr 10, 2003
    Hi Bobbi: I too, live in a small studio apartment in Brooklyn (Corbin Place in Manhattan Beach). It's 13 by 18 with a 9 foot ceiling and hardwood floors. In choosing a T.V., my sugestion is to get the Sunday News, the Post or the Times and look at the pullout ads from places like Best Buy, Circuit City, P.C. Richards, J&R, etc. Stick to brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony, JVC.,
    Mitsubishi and Hitachi. You might want to consider something a little bigger than 27 inches. Bogart,
    Lorre, Bergman, Bacall, Astor and of course, "the fat man", all look wonderful on a 50 inch RPTV. With your preference for old movies, get a set with the traditional 4:3 format rather than the newer 16:9 format. As far as a CD player goes, get any one on sale - EXCEPT APEX. Regarding brackets and interconnects, I can't advise you about those 2 things. Good luck in your hunt. Bobbi, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.