1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Studio 80's or 40's for fronts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Nov 5, 2001.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I can't decided and the dealer has to order them. I will be using a Denon 3802 to power them along with the Studio CC for the center and the Studio 40's for the surrounds.
    Anyone care to give pro's and con's? I need to decide by tomorrow !
    Thanks in advance.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Go with the one that sounds better to you. You did hear them didn't you? If you still cant decide, then go with the cheaper one or the one that looks nicest in your place.

3. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    The 40's will be a much better timbre match to the CC and 40's in the rear. The 80's use a different driver size than the 40's and the CC.
    Are you planning on using a sub? If you are, go with the 40's.
    Try a search using "paradigm 40" as the subject and then one with "paradigm 80" as the subject and you will get ALOT of threads to review.
    I would guess that the majority opinion would run with the 40's. I got 60's for the front to go with ADP sides, SA-10R rears, CC center, and a Velo HGS-18 sub.
    Except for the center I have been very pleased, but that is due to my bad placement condition to meet the spousal acceptance factor.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I would suggest you give the 60's a listen. In between price, great match for the CC and you dont need to invest in stands. For what its worth I have heard more positive reviews of the 40's over the 80's.

5. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Unfortunately I have not heard the 80's since the dealer doesn't have them. I can get the 40's for 675pr and the 80's for 1000.00pr. The speaker stands are 75.00 so that makes the price difference 250.00. I want to buy the speakers right the first time, and not second guess myself.
    In addition, I will be using a SVS 20-39CS w/ SamsonS700 amp for the sub, and plan to add a second 20-39CS in a few months. With that in mind I gather that most will say run the mains as "small" and highpass @ 80Hz right?
    [Edited last by John M Welch on November 05, 2001 at 09:19 PM]

6. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

John,
    I have five Studio 40's and I am very impressed with the sound.
    People are warning you away from the Studio 80's because the midrange driver used in the Studio 80 does not match the driver in the Studio CC. Due to this it is impossible to get a seamless pan across your front three speakers unless you have three Studio 80's.
    As Mark mentioned it may be worth looking at getting Studio 60's (which do match the Studio CC) because you do not have to buy the matching stands (as you do with the 40's). It may actually be cheaper for you to buy the Studio 60's.
    I am a firm believer that you should always run your speakers small and let the subwoofer handle the bass frequencies. There have been many threads on this topic and a simple search will verify that.
    Chris

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Studio 60's or 100's
    Seems the 80's are the step children of the studio line.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

8. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Arghhh, the decisions are killing me. [​IMG] It looks like I will go with the Studio 60's for the fronts, and I will add shielding. I think my dealer can do 850 on the laminate versions.

9. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

If you are going to be using them for mostly home theater with a nice sub, go with the 40's. They xover really well around 70hz....

10. BobPeck

BobPeck Agent

I just got the Studio 80's for my fronts with the CC for the center and 20's in the rear. I am totally impressed [​IMG]
    I know that on-paper it seems like they would be mis-matched bacause of the driver sizes, but they're still all speakers made by Paradigm. I think they sound awesome for movies, and even better for music.
    I don't notice any mismatch.
    BTW, they are not power hungy (though I'm not saying they won't benefit from more power either.) All I'm using for five Studio's all-around is an Outlaw 1050 (65wpc) and no sub (I live in a condo, that would get me kicked out . . . . [​IMG] ) Hooked up to a Phase Linear 400, they do have a little more ooomph, but I just switched back to the Outlaw and put the Flame Lunear back in the closet.
    Your Denon will be more than adequate for the 80's, if you decide to get them.
    p.s. Then again, maybe the 40's are fine. I can't believe how good the 20's sound as main speakers. . . . as a test I hooked them up to the front channels, turned my chair around and listend to Bach's cello suite #1. . . . can't believe the sound outta those little things.
    [Edited last by BobPeck on November 06, 2001 at 07:15 AM]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I aggree with Mickey. With a 60-80hz crossover and an SVS sub (when you add a second one it will only get better) I'd go with the Studio 40.
    And if you have some tools, why not build your own stands.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

12. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Well I went with the Studio 60's for the fronts. It looks like it is 50/50 from all the feedback I have read on the 40's & 60's the past few days.

13. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Good choice John. I love my 60's, but I don't think you could have gone wrong with the 40's either as they are both great speakers. I went with the 60's over the 40's mainly because they were towers and they didn't need to be placed on stands. The bass extension is also slightly better with the 60's.
    Let us know how you like them.
    Greggor