Studio 60's or 80's for my HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Diesel, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what would go better with my HT system, the Studio 60's or 80's? So far I have the Studio 20's and the CC, I'm running them with a Rotel RSX 1055 which puts out continuous 75w x 5ch
    I'll be using the 20's as surrounds and I need to get some mains. I have no sub yet but I'll get one when I have the cash for it. And if your thinking that I don't have the power for all these speakers well I plan on getting an amp be for I get the sub. The amp I was thinking about getting is the Anthem PVA 5, I hope that would do the trick and if not then I guess I'll have to find something with more power like the MCA 50 or the Rotel RMB 1095 maybe.
    And well obviously I would be using the RSX 1055 as the pre amp.

Thanks for any help

Dan

2. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

OH one more thing

I'm pretty sure that I can get the Studio 60 for $1200CAD with taxes in. but not to sure about how much the Studio 80's would go for. So if any of you know what's a good price for the 80's up in Canada please let me know.

Thanks again, Dan

3. Robie O

Robie O Auditioning

Dan,

I've had my studio 80's now for about 2 years, at first I bought them for audio only. I've since purchased the CC, 20's for surrounds and am about to buy a used Servo 15. I drive the 80's with a Rotel 200 wpc amp and the others with an older Carver amp.

Just yesterday I was in an audio store with my brother in law, he's trying to decide what to buy for his new surround set up. We listened to the 60's, 80's and 100's just for grins, he isn't prepared to spend that much money. I've always thought and still do that the studio 80's sound better than the 100's. I'm not sure whether it's because the midrange driver is bigger on the 80's but the sound just seems more smooth, sorry for the lack of audiophile speak. When compared to the 60's the sound seems much more full.

I say step up and spend a little extra on the 80's, I promise you won't regret it!

Rob

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Dan,
    I have had many Paradigm speakers, from the atoms to monitor 3's-7's & all studio models 20's 40's 60's 100's all Ver.2 The only model I passed on was the 80's. The reason I passed on these was it seemed they sounded some-what bloated.
    This is not meant as a dis or flame to the owners of the 80's. I believe the 80's are paradigm's least sold model, This could be cause for several reasons.

You must audition BOTH, preferably at the same time within your home.
    Then only you can be the judge.
    Good luck with your findings.
    Jerry

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Paradigm's whole studio line is very good. With you buying a seperate amp - power should not be a problem.

So, it probably gets down to your budget. If your going for the 80s why not the 100s?

Although I know the 60s are great and I love my 40s. I was just over at a friend's house last night looking at some monitor 7s which are similiar to the 60s and they were great especially with the seperate amp.

Mike

6. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Mike yes you'er right, it's the budget and the size of the Studio 100's. The wife thinks that the 100's are way to big and she doesn't even like the size of the 80's to much either. But I told her we need something with a bit more bass since it might be a while till we can get a sub. So the so the 80's is as big as we'll go, and here are the prices that I think that I'll be able to get the speakers for.

60's - $1200
    80's - $1450 may be
    100's - $2000

All taxes in on the prices above. [​IMG]
    And if you guys are wondering I listen to more music than HT about 75% music and 25% HT

Thanks, Dan

7. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Dan,

Wow!!! Upgrade-itis is progressing rapidly.[​IMG]

Why not save yourself alot of money right now and add the Paradigm PDR 12?

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/titan.html

Sells for much less money than the upgrades you are considering, will go with the upgrades later if you want to keep it, and doesn't require the addition of another amplifier.

Doug

8. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Hi Doug,

I though about going with a sub but I keep reading that for music it's good go with a bit better of a sub, maybe something like the PS 1200 or the PW 2200.
    And I figure I have to get mains sooner or later so that's why I'm looking at the 60's and 80's. And if I just listen to my music in two or three channel I think that the Rotel should be good enough for now, so the amp could be on hold for quite a while.
    I haven't heard the 80's yet but maybe when I go later on today I'll audition them and I'll also take a look at the PDR 12. But the sub that I was really looking to get was the PW 2200 (I think that I could have it for $800CAD taxes inc.) and since I listen to more music I'll see if they can set up the subs with the Studio 20's. And if it all works out good then maybe I'll get a sub first and the mains later on. I just wouldn't have surrounds for a while, just the 20's as my mains the CC and the sub [​IMG]
    And I also think that for the most part you get what you pay for so I try to get good things the first time around this way I'll be happy with the product and I also try to find the best bang for the buck ratio with most things that I buy [​IMG] so I'll take a look at all 3 subs and see how much I can get them for.

Thanks for the tip, Dan
    I'm half asleep so I hope all this makes sence LOL

9. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Just remember that the 60's will timbre match better with the cc and the 20's than the 80's. The 60's, 20's, and CC all use the same driver compliment.

The 80's use a larger mid/low driver than the 60's, cc, and 20's.

Mike

10. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I just listened to the lowest line SVS sub the other night versus the PW-2200 and I couldn't believe it but the SVS beat it handily. And at $549 was $200 bucks less than the 2200.

So, I got SVS on my shortlist. Also, after my experience Saturday now, I'm thinking, I'd recommend the 60s and putting the remaninder of the bucks into a better sub. What a diffrence that thing made.

Mike

11. Robie O

Robie O Auditioning

Dan,

Just wondering if you had a chance yet to listen to the 80's. It's interesting how many Paradigm dealers don't carry the 80's. Perhaps it's because they would take away sales of the larger 100's. Compare for yourself, I'm curious what your opinion is.

Rob

12. Doug Brewster

Dan,

I kinda' knew where you were coming from. Knew you just bought the Rotel and thought it was a bit early to start looking at upgrade - otherwise thought you'd take the receiver back and get the Rotel separates.

Suspect that the 20's and a PW 2200 sub will do "for now", as the 80's would probably call for an amp upgrade and am not sure the added bass punch would be satisfactory with the 60's (and you did site the Wife Approval Factor re: the 80's size).
    If you wanted to add surround, could go with the ADP's, meeting WAF and cost considerations - again, "for now". Later, moving up to the 60's ('cause the the 80's won't get any smaller) and add 7 channels of power.

Sure is fun spending your money for you. [​IMG]
    By the way, you appear to have an excellent balance of quality and economy in your "taste". Good job.

Doug

13. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Hi guys,

I went to my Paradigm dealer and I heard the Studio 60 but they didn't have the 80's on display. The salesman said that Paradigm doesn't even recommend that they display the 80's unless a customer really want to see them. But he thinks that they might have it on display at another location, so I'll do some calling around and see if I can find them.
    Robie might have a point there that the 80's could be taking sales away from the 100's. But I'll have a listen for myself if I find them and be the judge of that for myself. Or at least which one is the better buy (bang for the buck).
    As for the subs I'll still be looking at them too. And it's funny that MikeRP brought the SVS subs up, I keep hearing that they are better then many of them out there. I was interested in three of them, the 16-46 PC Plus ($875) the 20-39 PC Plus ($825) and the 20-39 PCi ($600). But I though about it and with the Canadian $ and the shipping and duty I'm guessing that I would be paying close to double the retail price. So the $600 one might work out to about $1000 or $1100 [​IMG]
    And with the Rotel 1055 I bought it and not the 1066 because for sound I don't hear a difference between the two. That might be because they both have the same processor inside them, and the pluses that I see are that the RSX 1055 has an integrated amp so I can hold off on an amp for now it has a tuner which the 1066 doesn't and it's cheaper then the 1066. So the way that I look at it is that I have the 1066 since I don't hear a difference in sound with an amp and a tuner for less [​IMG]
    Anyway as soon as I find the Studio 80's I'll let you guys know what I think of them.

Dan

14. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    I would not match up an Anthem AMP with the Paradigms. This would = A BRIGHT COMBO. I would go with an ROTEL AMP or even a Sherbourn. As far as the speakers as someone has said,"I believe the 80's are paradigm's least sold model, This could be cause for several reasons". This is why I have found no one who stocks them at all. If you are planning on adding a quality sub, I think the 60's are yor best bet. I think the 20's 60's & 100's are the best sounding to me. If budget & wife factor rule out the 100's get the 60's. To me the 100's are not really needed when you have a quality sub like the PW2200 or something else.
    60's are all you need [​IMG]

15. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I just listened to the lowest line SVS sub the other night versus the PW-2200 and I couldn't believe it but the SVS beat it handily. And at $549 was $200 bucks less than the 2200.
    Where did you hear these two side buy side to make this comparasion?[​IMG]

16. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

I recently bought 60's and a PW-2200 for about $2000 CDN after demo'ing the 40's, 60's, and 80's. I've been extremely happy with the combo for both music and movies (although I turn down the sub a bit for music). No buyer's remorse here. If you were seriously considering paying for the 100's, this might be a more WAF friendly alternative for the same money... You could probably get away with powering the 60's with your existing amp as well... And the PW-2200 will shake the room during movies more than 100's ever could [​IMG]

17. Doug Brewster

Dan,

Paul and I are trying to save your marriage!!![​IMG]