What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I liked the idea of opening with G&S. But, while the song was cute, I'm puzzled...it looks like at least the first major plotline of the show is going to be the Christian Coalition vs. the show that dared to air "crazy Christians". So, Sorkin cops out and gives us a G&S spoof? I know he's a fan (he often references them), but if you're going to base a ton of storylines off this controversial sketch, you gotta show me the sketch!!

Otherwise, I'm with Adam. If they stick with Christians vs. Studio 60, it just isn't going to be too funny for very long.

Still...they do a great job of showing what it can be like on a set and in this business. Fun show so far!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought the episode got off to a slow start, but it finished well, particularly with the act.

Don't get me started with the Christian Coalition. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i wasnt sitting and waiting for the song, the rest of the ep is what i was watching the show for.

i barely understood the lyrics of the song so the humor of that was lost on me anyway.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
definately dug the second episode, although a little less than the pilot. i really did appreciate DL Hughley's scenes, as I didn't give a damn about the cast (beyond Perry's ex), and how they function in the Sorkin series (as opposed to the in-show-series). Loved the number at the end, and cant wait for next week.

God bless high speed internet, and the fuck-you attitudes of Australian stations.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The orchestra music was entirely too loud and the singing entirely too low.

As for Studio 60 vs. the Christians: yeah, I don't want it to be a season-long storyline either. I think it would get real old real fast...and turnoff a lot of potential viewers. However, within the context of Wes from the pilot and our own cultural and political climate, it makes a great deal of sense to have this storyline be one of the major early season ones.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The lyrics were very clear to me. I was listening to it in 5.1 via my local digital NBC affiliate. Perhaps they messed up the levels in the 2-channel mix.

Regards,

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
a couple of "sorry's" here...
First off sorry but I didn't know the song was originally a G&S song, my bad.
Secondly I'm truly sorry for spoiling anything. Since when did the west coast of Canada get anything BEFORE the East coast of the US??

When there was nothing written in this thread I just assumed no-one cared for the show LOL

Once again, sorry.
Jon

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
full 5.1 on my end.

as said, music was too loud to hear the vocals for me.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It is pretty sad that folks think of that song as "that one from animaniacs". It was said as if everyone in the world knows that show. LOL Boy, am I getting old.

For those who are interested, here is the Wikipedia page that describes this song: Major General's Song

I really dig the Christian Bashing in this episode. Not because I want to bash christians, but I think it is revenge for what they did here in the Salt Lake area a year or so ago.

The local NBC affiliate here, decided to not show an episode of the Tonight Show because they didn't like the guests that were on. They knew Leno wasn't going to show or do anything that was bad, but "the powers that be" here hated the whole idea of what the guests did for a living.

I hate censorship. I really hate that a local network can simply decide what I can or can't see. So I was happy to see the NBS folks in this show have a backbone.

I loved the line about "showing them how to change the channel". I often wonder why groups have to try and stop me from seeing something. If you don't like what is on, change the channel. Don't try and take away my choice. Your TV has an Off switch.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I also liked the line about the shame penalty for advertisers who want to come back after it gets high ratings.

I wonder if they are going to an FCC plotline where some word (or exposure) gets through and the network is going to battle a fine.

Neil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The "intellectual reach around" line slayed me. The energy level of that opening song and dance was fun, getting there was okay. The Matt and Harri bit is too coy for my taste at this point. It's obvious Harri wants more than Matt can give her, and for her to want it both ways was cliched (for me).

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Anyone else thinking that NBC wanted to make it abundantly clear that Judd's diatribe in the first episode wasn't about how badly SNL has fallen? I mean, why else add references to SNL other than to say that Studio 60 isn't it?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

Good point.

I wonder if when/if the show-within-a-show starts succeeding, she'll comment on how they're slaying Mad TV in the ratings, just to clarify that not only are they not SNL, but that they aren't Mad TV either :P

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> arguably one of the most famous English-language songs ever

So famous that many don't know it. Am I the only one that liked the show but hated the song at the end? Isn't the live show supposed to be a comedy? The song was not funny.

As for the CC skit, I thought they were making a point about people who protest stuff they haven't seen yet.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

That is the way I saw it as well. Just like when Salt Lake City NBC refused to show a tonight show episode, not because of what they were going to show, but simply on principle. That is even worse than censorship.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I agree. Not to mention that Harriet doesn't come off as particularly likable but more like a harridan.

I'm sticking with the show for a few more episodes, but my biggest problem is that, outside of about 4 characters, the rest of the cast is poorly defined. The West Wing this definitely isn't... that show had one of the best pilots I've ever seen and I'm still waiting for Sorkin to wow me again.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I don't know how many people know it or not. But, it IS one of the most famous English-language songs of all time.

If you don't know who G&S are, that's cool. Go read up. There are movies to see, songs to hear, etc. You'll definitely cover them in college if you take any theater/arts classes.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Why? I think she has a great point - he WOULD go nuts if she flirted with Danny. Matt shouldn't be sleeping with her friend.

And, they clearly still love one another.

I think their story is an interesting mirror to the Christian Coalition vs. the network.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I may have to check out of this show. First, let it be said I am not religious of any sort.

But if this plot continues, it just seems to typify writing that clings to a crutch. The portrayal of Christian organizations is so over-the-top crazy that it makes them into archetypes instead of realistically dealing with the issue - or any issue.

As someone who spent a lot of time thinking about RhetComm, I just feel like using these organizations is almost an easy fall back - it's too easy of a punching bag to get the show's joke across. It also slams the show to a halt in that instead of dealing with any character development or showing us how the show is built, the subplot becomes -THE- plot.

Harriet's character is also at times ridiculously "corny", and I find Peet to be almost impossible to watch.

Look, I don't have a problem with them taking on Right Wing boycotts, etc. but making it the heart of multiple episodes seems.. strange. This is a show that could deal in all sorts of controversy that would circulate around it without that subplot. When I first heard of this show as a concept, I thought of these kind of things:

* Lip-Synching artists
* Jailing of Cast Members (Drugs) which they did touch on
* Controversial Hosts (think Andrew Dice Clay in the old days)
* Ratings crunch/concerns - Peet's character announcing a "coward fee" seemed nice.. but they are going to ahve to explain - and show - how the program gets good ratings going.
* Product Placement

Their relationship to me also seems.. blah. I just don't think it works. The two characters have too many key, critical differences where you'd think at one point they'd get the hell over it.

As to Gilbert & Sullivan and Animaniacs, etc. Let me make a note here. G&S is of course, the originator of the tune. But the thing that Animaniacs did was unique also. They took a classic tune, slightly altered the cadence, and made subtle changes beyond the lyrics that kept the general nature of the song in place but made it far easier to use as material for parody. That's JMHO, but I've seen G&S produced "well" and I've seen what Animaniacs and others have done to the musical elements, and I can appreciate the efforts. It's not a change so significant it denies the root, but it does provide a "re-imagining" of the original work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks