What's new

Studio 60 and CC to "big", and SVS blends better, and other speaker points. (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
quote: hmmmm does this mean your new Studio 60's are producing better bass at 50-80Hz than your SVS??[/quote]No, not really. It just means that with my current SVS placement (without the equalizer right now) and my current receiver (which will change very soon), I am having a hard time matching my SVS to the speakers when the receiver is set so that the mains are "small".
quote: I listened to the Studio 60s last weekend in demoing speakers for music. To me, their definite strength was their bass output.[/quote]They have very tight bass, but speaker placement and room acoustics for those can be an issue as well.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 20, 2001 at 06:54 PM]

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
Eugene,
Personally, I have the same front-speaker setup as you with the Studio CC and Studio 60s. I have a different sub, but I thought I'd post my results here anyway.
The room I'm in is quite small (10 x 12 or so). I have a Paradigm X-30 to control the Sub, so the lowest LPF I can select is 35 Hz.
I did tests doing a sweep using the Stryke Audio Basszone Test CD. Sine Wave Signals at 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 40, 45, 50, 56, 63, 71, 80, 89, 100. Three configurations were Studio 60s alone, Studio 60s full range with Sub LPF at 40, Studio 60s crossed over with the sub at 80Hz. Signal Strength of 80 dB used.
The Studio 60s alone were surprisingly good. Flat (+-3dB) down to 40. At 32 they were still quite strong (76 dB). Obviously the size of the room had something to do with it. No real peaks or nulls for me.
The Studio 60s full and a Sub with LPF set at 40 was not quite as good. Of course the lower frequencies (32, 28, 25 and 22) were better, but the Sub interaction with my Studio 60s were introducing a null at 63 (74 dB instead of 80.5 as before) and a peak at 40 (85 dB). Moving the LPF down to 35 did not produce a very noticeable difference, but moving the LPF up past 40 increased the Peak at 40.
The Studios 60s crossed over with the sub at 80 Hz (using the High Pass Filter of the Paradigm X-30) gave the best response. Flat down to 25, relatively flat to 22. With a deeper sub like the SVS I'd assume it'd be flat down to a lower level. Best thing was that it was also flat up to 100. Overall, the best extension with equal (i.e. to the Studio 60s alone) to the best flat response in the mid-bass region.
So what do I use now? For HT, I set all speakers to small. For Music I have a Niles Audio switcher to either use a full range signal to the 60s with no sub, or use the signal crossed over at 80 Hz with the sub. The full range signal is used for most Jazz, light-rock and other similar types of music. This gives the best resolution at the higher frequencies (especially with Vibraphone type music). With heavier music, or Classical Music that requires a fuller range of sound (i.e. lower than 35 Hz) I use the signal crossed over at 80 Hz with the sub.
I hope I haven't thoroughly confused anyone. If I have, let me know and I'll try and give a better description.
Graeme

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Thanks Graeme,
I wish I had my new receiver (which to get???) and equalizer, so that I could attempt to do as complete a set of test as you have.
The Studio 60s alone were surprisingly good. Flat (+-3dB) down to 40. At 32 they were still quite strong (76 dB). Obviously the size of the room had something to do with it. No real peaks or nulls for me.
That IS impressive... almost in line with the specs I listed above.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Steve_D

Second Unit
Graeme,
What is shockingly good to me is an in-room response of +-3db from your 60's. I've been researching bass EQ issues for quite awhile now, and performing all kinds of tests with placement and EQ on 2 different subs, and am down to +-3.5 db, but while researching was told by many people on many different forums that real in room response of +-6db is good, +-3 is excellent (and rare).
Yet, you have it with no EQ? Is your room acoustically treated? Or did you just get lucky to have a room with few peaks and nulls?
------------------
Link Removed

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Or did you just get lucky to have a room with few peaks and nulls?[/quote]
Luck, total luck. It was actually after I had all the gear I wanted that I started looking into an EQ, a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or room treatments.
Based upon my initial tests (which I posted here a little while back) what I thought were "okay" results were actually quite impressive. Actually, when I posted my results stating that I was looking for improvement, the responses pointed out that when it came to reading frequency sweep results, I had no idea what I was doing.
biggrin.gif
The main thing I did not realise was that +-3dB was not "average".
In any case, total luck on my part. I'm still going to look into room treatments for soundstaging and higher frequency control etc., but as far as an EQ or Behringer go, I'm not planning on getting any (unless, of course, I move into a new place
biggrin.gif
).
Graeme
[Edited last by Graeme Shiomi on August 21, 2001 at 12:14 AM]
[Edited last by Graeme Shiomi on August 21, 2001 at 12:14 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks