What's new

Studio 40's in Cabinet (1 Viewer)

Rick Thoms

Agent
I built an oak entertainment center around my widescreeen.Do to the limitations of my wall the speakers will be going inside the cabinet.I plan on buying the 40's but was wondering what effect it will have on them being in the cabinet as they are ported out the back.There is no
backing on the cabinet but the wall is there.I also have a sono sub so i have plenty of bass.I asked this question in the local paradigm dealer and he told me "oh you can just stuff the port"just wondering what you guys thought.
Thanks alot

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Placing the speakers in a cabinet will increase the speakers perceived baffle. This results in poor sound quality (imaging/soundstage is gone). One of the worst things you can do during setup is to put the speakers near the front wall (cabinet is effectively the same thing). If you are willing to sacrifice SQ then go for it...

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Yep, Greg is right. You will shut down those 40's all but completely by placing them in a closed area. Boomy, no stage, muffled highs..... no need to go on. Hope you can find a way to open them up.

Good Luck,
BOK

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Rick,

I'm sure your dealer would like to sell you some Paradigm 40s. I'd like some Studio Series myself. I'm looking at a Paradigm catalog wherein they tout their Dispersion and Acoustical test room characteristics -- that is, using them as they are designed.

Since you have a nice wood entertainment center piece of furniture, it seems you want to justify these open spaces, perhaps even to meet some room decor desires from a significant other. But it wud be something of a waste of the Paradigm design to shoehorn them into a closed space, and blocking the designer ports too. This may even result in the spkrs lying of their sides further offsetting the design dispersion.

My city's Paradigm dealer will let me take home his demos say late Saturday for a home test, returning them Monday. You might ask. Otherwise, if you're going to commit to placing spkrs in the cabinet, perhaps an internal baffle design, and less costly than the Digms, might be a way to go. I have no specific model suggestion, however, getting a matching ctr spkr ought to be an important consideration.

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks