Studio 40 & CC used pricing

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Bergeron, Jul 9, 2003.

1. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I don't want to against forum rules so I'm trying to see if I can do this "ethically" by posting here first.

What do you guys think is a fair price for 2 pairs of studio 40's and a CC centre speaker. All black laminate, 1 year old in boxes?

Is $1500 usd "fair"? + shipping

I would post "FS" but then I can't find out if it's "fair" or not.

If not, what do YOU think is "fair"?

Thanks

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

James,

If they are in excellent" condition (a 9/10, no nicks or bruises) then $1350. sounds fair.

You may want to sell the pairs individually as well.

The one year of use hinders the sale a little. And veneer sells better than laminate. But in the $1300 range may get some looks.

As you know, things are sluggish in the economy and lots of sideline sitters out there for numerous reasons.

Good Luck,

my .02

BOK

3. James Bergeron

Thanks, I'd say they are a 10/10 no nicks NOTHING. Perfect shape, just open box.... which I could seal to make looks new again [​IMG].

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no such thing as 10/10 with used gear.

You can check on Audiogon.com to compare used prices, if there are any listed. The price sounds about right for black laminate. Your only problem is that the V3s are hitting stores now, so interest in V2s may not be very high, so you may not get that price.

5. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

For me, an occassional buyer of used speakers/amps, my first question would be "Do you accept Paypal credit card payments?" If not, then I would not even bother, as I have been burned before by crooks on Audiogon who say "I will send the equipment as soon as I receive the check." Yeah right.

As for rating, open box/used is automatically a 1 point deduction, plus another point off for each year of age. Since I would be buying speakers that according to the point system are, at best, 80 percent as valuable as they were brand new, my max offer would be close to 80 percent of new purchase price, but I would start at a 70 percent offer and work from there. And if the seller wants to illegally tack on the 2.9 percent credit card fee, I would reduce my offer by at least 3 percent.

So to this used speaker buyer, 75 percent of MSRP for those suckers might perk my interest. If you post them for 65 percent MSRP, you will sell them in a half hour. Depends on how quickly you need the money I guess. Hope this helps.

6. James Bergeron

Robert, that is an interesting theory.

So, seeing as MSRP for a pair of studio 40's is $900Usd and the CC is what $600? (Not sure about the CC).

That is a total of $2400 USD for the set.

65% of $2400, is $1560USD or $1450 depending on how you do the calculation! I'd sell them for $1500 WHAT A DEAL! [​IMG]

I think I'll keep them though, too much hassel to sell them I think. Unless I sell them locally.

7. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

8. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

wow, i thought 1500 was a crappy price, until i reread your first post and saw 2 PAIRS of studio 40s. 1500 would be quite a steal in my opinion. how much would you let one pair of 40s go for?

9. James Bergeron

Andrew are you interested? I'm not really interested in selling them seperately, only as a set, then they are gone and I can upgrade.
    I thought $1500 was fair, but others seems to think not? I don't know.

4 40's and a CC for $1500 usd.... if anyone else is interested. Although I guess I should move this to the FS forum.

10. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

James,

I've read the posts here, saw your add today, and wish you well in your sale.

As an aside, Last year(summer), I bought my new, in the box, 40's, V.2,(Rosenut Veneer-1-pair) and CC Center, shipped, to my home, for $1,025.

Add a year to any gear, and you lose at least, 30%, as a given ! (a 10/10 used is "unheard" of, BTW).

Granted, they came from Canada, from a friend, but there are many HT members who can source such items, new or used, at a very decent price.

Good Selling,
    BOK

11. James Bergeron

Brian, remember this is 2 pairs! That's $2k right there, + the centre $500, that's $2500. Take off $1000 still a good deal.

Either way, I don't REALLY care, if I don't get my $1500, I'll just keep them. I'm not that itchy to sell. Plus the V2's are going out and the V3's coming in! That means these might go WAY down in value, or WAY up. Depending on the market.

IE. You can't find a CC anymore to match your 40's or 100's or something, or whatever. So I have some matches [​IMG].

10/10 could exist.

IE: USED 10/10 = Perfect but used [​IMG]

All depends on your rating system. If someone mentioned 8/10 I'd say, there is something wrong with them. Obviously if they are used they aren't 10/10 for NEW but 10/10 for used!