Studio 20s, HTD Level 3 Towers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willy K, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Willy K

Willy K Auditioning

Hello to any and all. Im looking for some input and hope I can get it here. I am going to be buying an entire HT setup.
    Im leaning heavily towards a new Marantz SR7200 for my rec. I wont go into tv, dvd, svhs, cdp just the audio side here for now. My current plan is to use 6 Studio 20s, or possibly 5 and the studio center. Over the last couple of days I have checked out Home Theater Direct on the net but I cant seem to find people who have them. What I am considering from them is getting 5 Level 3 Towers and their center. Price wise will not be that much different, but setup wise I believe it would make a big difference. I will use it 60% ht and 40% music so what I need is real world advice, maybe Im crazy for even comparing these ( I kinda think I am )
    5 Home Theater Direct Level 3 Towers and their center compared to 6 Paradigm Studio 20s or 5 and the Studio center. Thanks for any help, advice or a punch in the face for the trying to compare these.

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Asusming you have a decent sub, here's a punch in the face!
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

3. Willy K

Willy K Auditioning

Sorry I did'nt mention that, my sub will be the SVS 20-39pc.
    It's not often your likely to hear this, thanks for the punch in the face.

4. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

Hello Willy,
    Welcome to the group! [​IMG]
    Let me start off by saying that I have the Studio 20's. As for the HTD speakers, I have no experience with them.
    Now, on to the 20's...
    For movies, with a good sub, they are fantastic. Dynamics that make you seem like you're an innocent bystander near a train wreck. Clarity that reveals the smallest details and doesn't make you cringe and cover your ears at the sound of crunching metal. A soundstage that drops you right into the action. Overall, EXCELLENT!
    For music, smooth (midrange and treble) with a good soundstage. Great dynamics. They will make you want to listen to your music collection over and over again. One caveat, good recordings sound great with these speakers and a bad recording sounds bad. Overall, VERY GOOD!
    For the price, I think that you'll have a hard time finding better speakers for movies and music.
    I think my 20's are fantastic and in the 2 months that I've had them, I've been listening to more and more music all the time.
    I don't think that you can go wrong the them and I think that they would a good match for the Marantz, if that's what you decide to get.
    Good Luck
    Clark
    *Disclaimer*
    Speakers are a very personal choice. It would be wise for you to listen to each in your own environment (if possible) and decide which is best for YOU!
    *End Disclaimer*

5. Greg_Bedard

Greg_Bedard Agent

I'm not really familiar with the Paradigm speakers you're talking about, but if you are looking for a good, quality tower speaker, I think you would be remiss in not auditioning the HTD tower.
    I absolutely love mine.
    Check out the review at cheaphometheater.com and also the review on the Ascends. Since you are fairly interested in music, I hear the Ascends are great for that. HTD is pretty good on music - to me - but I don't think they are quite as good as the Ascends (from all that I have read).
    Both HTD and Ascend are internet direct, but they have a 30-day tryout period and you can send them back if not totally satisfied.
    Hope this helped you a little bit.