What's new

Studio 20 vs Monitor 7 (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
I have been remembering fondly the seamless sound stage I had when I was using four identical speakers (for my fronts and surrounds) and so am considering going back to that format. The problem is, I live overseas and can only receive through the USPS mailing system packages weighing 70 pounds or less, which greatly limits my options and makes new towers out of the question.

I will be matching the four new speakers to a Paradigm Reference Studio center, SVS subwoofer, Parasound 1205 amp, and Anthem AVM-20 pre-pro. The speakers to be replaced are Paradigm Monitor 7.2s for the fronts and Atoms for the surrounds. Because of weight limitations, I am considering going Studio 20's all around. Does anyone have any sense of whether I will hear an improvement in my soundstage? I am a little hestitant to go from towers to bookshelf speakers without some reassurance from people who have heard both!

Thanks!

Jason Brent

Second Unit
If it were me, I would go with the 20's. The highs are much smoother and the midrange is great. The studio 20 is a great speaker. And anthem matches well with them.

They are limited in the low end, but with the sub, it should sound great.

I did a lot of A/B testing between the studio 20's and several of the monitor line, and while the monitor line is great, the 20's were more refined. Also, they will match up to your CC better.

Just my 2 cents....

Michael_V

Second Unit
Thanks, Jason. Others have also told me they prefer the Studio 20 to the Monitor 7. Any other thoughts out there?

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Huge midrange difference in the two speakers. Just listen to female vocals when auditioning.

Studio 20's are fantastic speakers.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
one advantage of the 20's versus the 7's is that if you really like them, your upgrade path is much clearer as you have more available cash to spend on them....you have a lot of room to move up in the studio line from the 20's but not nearly as much (though some) room with monitor 7's...

if sound was even roughly equal, that would be enough for me to decide for the studio's...

rich

Michael_V

Second Unit
The Monitor 7.2s are going. If anyone wants a pair for a very reasonable price. . . . ;)
I am tempted to go Studio 40s in the front and 20s in the back, but that would defeat my original intent (to have a completely seamless soundstage from front to back) so I will probably stick with four 20s.
Thanks, guys!

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Well, if you're going to use the CC, you won't get that anyway... You would need to dump the CC and get another 20 (or two).

Martin.

Michael_V

Second Unit
This is true but the studio reference center stays right where it is! :D In fact, I am already caving on my firm stance and really considering using 40s for the fronts. So much for determination, eh? Still, the soundstage should be much improved from the hodge-podge I am using now: reference center, monitor fronts, and atom surrounds! :eek:

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
I went with (2) 40's, (4) 20's, CC, and the very "musical" and theater worthy ACI Titan II LE sub. I was concerned about matching all around but when you factor in that one speaker is on top of the TV, 2 on the sides all somewhat reflecting off the TV screen, and any floor standing rears have to deal with room furniture, etc, etc, I just gave up on perfectly matching all around because in my situation it wouldn't make any difference. Now if I had no furniture or TV and the room was perfectly symmetric I may have reconsidered. I also felt that the 40's were a better match to the CC than the 20's since they are about the same size. Either way, 20's or 40's you can't go wrong...I would recommend a good sub.

Ed

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I have Monitor 9s and regret not buying the studio 20s that I was also considering. If you go with the Studio you shouldn't have any regrets.

I'm planning on upgrading soon and I thought the comment about the 40s matching the CC better than the 20s was interesting. Does anyone else have experience with this comparison. If I do a pink-noise channel pan with my monitor 9s and CC-370 I can hear a small difference in Tonality, and I'd love to know which of the 20 or 40 better matches the Studio CC.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Edward,
I am glad you are happy with the 40/20 combo! And I would not hestitate to pick up that Parasound amp. It is a beautiful thing. I just wish my neighbors shared my enthusiasm for its enormous power. . . . :D
Tyler,
Your regret about not picking up the Studios is a strong argument for me in favor of upgrading. Thanks for your honesty! I am hoping this purchase will be my last for a while and am trying to avoid penny-pinching that will hurt my long-term satisfaction with these speakers.
I only recently upgraded my center to the Reference Studio and have been very, very pleased. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks