Studio 20 vs ADP

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PaulT, Apr 14, 2004.

1. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I have been replacing my aging Klipsch setup with Paradigm Studio v3 speakers.

Currently in place are Servo-15, Studio 40, Studio CC570 with the old Klipsch SS1 Dipole surrounds.

My question is, in your opinion with 75% Movie/TV and 25% Music including DVD-Audio - would you suggest the Studio ADP's or Studio 20's for the rear channels.

Since I have not used direct radiators for the rears before, I can only go by the sound I have become used to with the old dipoles.

This is set up in a 15x15 foot room.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I switched to dipoles, Monitor 7's to ADP370's, because the rears were a couple feet away from the outside seats and they seemed distracting and I found the dipoles superior for movie surrounds after demoing them at home next to each other. For music they are OK, but not as good as direct firing. I would say if you can keep the rears at least 6 ft. away from any listening position get the 20's. If you sit closer, the dipoles are much less distracting IMO. At the same time, your listening ratio between movies and music, and your use of dipoles previously, says get the dipoles. Good luck deciding.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I'd vote for the dipoles also, especially if they're going to be on the sides of the listening position.

P.S. - I envy your Servo 15. I'm only running a PDR-10, but one of these days I'll own a Servo, or better yet, a Seismic 12. [​IMG]

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I'll cast a vote for the 20's.....I love them as surrounds....I have never heard the ADP's in my home, so I can't speak for them.....but I will say that I've never failed to be impressed with the surround field that the 20's produce.

5. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I'll give a vote for the 20's as well. I'm running them in my system with 100's up front and a 470 in the middle, all version 3. They're placed on the side walls, behind and above the seating position firing across the room directly at each other.

I've never found them distracting during movies and they sound fantastic on hi-rez mch music.

Bill

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I prefer monopoles, but it really comes down to placement. For price alone, I'd go with the 20s.