Studio 20, 40 or 60?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Meconiates, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I also posted this is the Amp/Receiver forums, but I was hoping to get some more feedback on my speaker dilemma:

Current setup:

Studio 40's (fronts)

Studio CC

PW2200

Denon 3300

rears: none (I have a pair of bose 301's and I have been hesitant to even hook them up as it would be sacriligious)

Come summertime, looking to add another pair of studio's - still trying to decide whether I should add 20's or 40's as surrounds, or get a pair of 60's and move my existing 40's to the rear.

I was thinking of a multichannel amp like the parasound 1205... I don't know much about pre amps so I was hoping for some suggestions.

The room is about 12x22x9... Also, due to room layout, the listening/viewing position is up against the wall.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on a pre-amp/amp combo?

2. How about advice on my whether I should get another pair od 20, 40's or 60's? I am going to be living in an apartment for the next 5 years of so, so listening at reference will be a rare event.

3. Should I even bother going separates?

4. Given my current setup assuming I add surrounds, is there a better way in which to spend 2K to impove setup dramatically?

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Have you considered the Studio ADP dipoles as surrounds? That is what I recommend in your situation. Barring that, I would get the 20's. There is a noticeable difference between the 20's and 40's as mains, but not as surrounds. So you're better off saving your money and getting the 20's, unless you want the dipoles of course.

3. Tony Meconiates

Erick, thanks for the response.

There are a few reasons that I am not too keen on the ADP's.

- I think they are too much speaker since it looks like they are basically 2 studio 20's... my rears would have more drivers than my mains!

- Not very versatile, i.e., stuck as surrounds... I could not move then into the bedroom and make them into "mains"

- I am also concerned about mounting them. My living room is basiacally rectangle with one of the sides opening into the kitchen area. Would I be able to stand mount them?

I think the bottom line for me is the versatility though... Don't they costs like 1G?

4. Tony Meconiates

bump, need some more input [​IMG]

5. EricHaas

Tony:

I'm not sure that I understand your point #1. ADP's have more drivers because they produce more diffuse sound. As surrounds in an HT system, I feel they create a far superior listening experience. However, I agree with your points 2 and 3 as they relate to your specific needs. They are indeed not flexible, e.g. you wouldn't want to move them to the bedroom for 2-channel. And you should not mount them on stands or it defeats their purposes, which is to reflect sound off the walls in both directions.

Anyway, get the 20's for surrounds. There is no advantage to the 40's in the surround capacity. And the 60's are not much of an upgrade from the 40's as fronts.

6. Tony Meconiates

"Anyway, get the 20's for surrounds. There is no advantage to the 40's in the surround capacity. And the 60's are not much of an upgrade from the 40's as fronts."

Eric,

Your argument is pretty convincing for getting the 20's as surrounds. As far as pricing goes, I received an e-mail with pricing comparing the 20 vs. 40 vs. 60's...

The following prices are for Rosenut veneer, no taxes w/ shipping and matching J stands where applicable:

20's ---> 900

40's ---> 1,040 (thats what my current set cost)

60's ---> 1,100-1,200 (still need to confirm exact pricing due to weight of shipping)

So, given the tight pricing, would you recommend going with the 60's for the hell of it? If the difference is only going to be 200 bucks for the 20's vs. the 60's, I think it would be foolish to go with the 20's in that situation...

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

For goodness sake, hook up the bose! At least until you get better speakers for your surround. I sure hope you haven't been missing out on at least having surrounds due to the excessive condemnation on, er, enthusiasts bulletin boards...

Have you considered getting another set of 40's? That gives you more versatility wrt 5 channel music.

Good luck!

Martin.

8. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

What Martin said!

The 60's are the unsung hero in the Paradigm line. Very nice small FLOOR Stander Front Ported Speakers. The 40's are the same drivers same crossover, but Stand Mounted and Rear Ported. Your choices are going to based on Esthetics and functionality of the respective designs.

9. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I use the 100's for mains and two sets of 20's for surrounds.
    If you want to here that the 20's make for good monopole surrounds I'll say that.
    However, if you are thinking about getting into multi-channel music I would be tempted to get another set of 40's.
    First decide if you want to use the 60's as mains. Listen to them. Compare them to the 40's in the store. If you like the 60's better, by all means get them, and move your 40's to the back of the room.
    However, if you aren't inclined to by the 60's, I think (given the small price difference between the 20's and 40's) I would buy a second set of 40's.
    If you aren't going to do DVDA/SACD or other kinds of multichannel music it probably doesn't matter so much, but I think you are missing out.
    Personally, I want another set of 100's for the back of my room. [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, and power... lots and lots of power. [​IMG]
    -Alan

10. EricHaas

Tony:
    Those prices aren't right. The 20's retail for $650 USD. They might be $900 with wood veneer, but the 40's and 60's would cost at least $200 more as well. So those can't be right, unless you are comparing the 20's with veneer to the 40's and 60's with laminate. Here are the MSRP's for the entire Reference line:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/buyer...-speakers.html
    Edit: Whoops, I just realized that those prices include the stands. That makes more sense. Personally, I would not pay $250 for Paradigm stands when you can get a nice pair for $100.
    The 60's are the same speaker as the 40's, just in a larger cabinet. There is a few hz more base extension, but nothing else to my ears. The 40's are a decent upgrade from the 20's, but as surrounds you won't hear much difference. However, if you listen to music in 5 channel stereo that is an argument for having 40's as rears.
    Take care.

11. Tony Meconiates

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    I think I am going to go with the studio 60's in rosenut veneer and move the 40's to the back. I know this might be overkill, but for the money, its worth it. I priced out the 60's and it looks like thay will run me about 1200-1225 compared to the 40's w/ J stands shipping included for everything, cost 1,040. I think its worth the 150 bucks.
    This purchase should nicely round out my HT [​IMG]
    I am psyched.