What's new

Student Loan Consolidation Options? (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Can anyone recommend a web site/service with good information on consolidating student loans, or recommend someone to do it? I assume now is the best time to do it with the low interest rates.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Now is a great time to consolidate. The current federal student loan rate is 2.85%. The rate may be lower in July, if you want to wait until then. I don't think it will be higher, but that is always a risk. I don't have any specific links, but here are some tips to keep in mind:

-Any consolidation should be free--no fees--really free. If there are any fees, pick a different program

-You should be able to find a place that knocks off a minimum of 0.25% for automatic payments and 0.75% or more for on-time payments (that 1%+ savings adds up). If a program does not offer these benefits, move on to the next one.

-Consolidate for as long a time period as possible. This will allow you to have the lowest monthly payment. What if you want to pay off your loans quicker? Just send more money! Extending your loan repayment period gives you a lower monthly payment on paper--even if you elect to send more. This will improve your credit rating when applying for a mortgage, car loan, etc...

-Do not consolidate with a spouse. Even if you are married, consolidate only in your name so that your spouse does not become responsible for your loans if you die or get divorced.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
It depends on the total amount you owe, but theyll let you go up to 30 years (they get more $$$ that way)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I'll probably have to go 30 years to get the payment lower than my house payment. :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I know the feeling Patrick.
My problem is I can't consolidate my private loans, half are government and half are private.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Sallie Mae will let you do interest only for a few years to lower your payments... DONT DO IT!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

You can still wait to find out the next yearly rate in late May/June. They're telling us this may be the last set of loans can be consolidated at a fixed rate. Who knows for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks