student aid resources?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Christ Reynolds, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm a college student and poor, so i need to find web sites or other resources that help you find scholarships or grants or even loans. i joined fastweb.com, it seems ok but they are too in your face with ads. anybody have any good places to look?

CJ

2. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

Are you already enrolled? If so take advantage of the school's financial aid office. You may have to hound them. Have you done your FAFSA report yet to get any federal money? My son just started college and I have found that there are places that help you find money but they charge you an arm and a leg and I found them to be a rip off. There is a sight called www.collegeboard.com that provides info, that may help. But I know how hard it is to find money for I am a single father of two and the money is hard to come by. You may try local employers, for example here in North Carolina the Chickfillet resteraunts will pay $2,000 towards you education if you are employed by them. If you still have access to your high school try their counslers. Good luck and never give up.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Christ,

If you havent, fill out the FAFSA... You need that for just about any aid or loans...

If you are severly poor, you would possibly get most everything paid for... You have to be 24 before you dont have to report your parents income if your a dependent...

A friend of mine got screwed at 18, because while he really didnt have a pot to pee in, he had to go by his parents income even though they gave him absolutely nothing... They made over $200,000 a year, so obviously he didnt get any aid... He couldnt even get a financial aid loan with a good interest rate because his parents made too much money... He ended up not being able to go to college right away even though he was accepted to several places...

Depending on who you are, being poor is sometimes better than having money during your college years...

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

You can check out my college's financial aid web site: http://www.finaid.wsu.edu/ They might have some good links and stuff. (BTW: I developed the whole site [​IMG] )

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Definitely. Given financial aid criteria, you either want to be filthy rich so you can pay cash or destitute so you get everything for free.

Anyone caught in the middle is SOL most of the time (which is the way with most aid programs from colleges to home buying...you have enough resources that you don't qualify for assistance, but not enough to accomplish anything without assistance).

Check to see if your state has an aid office as well. Here, we have the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation which was very helpful to me during my college years.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    well, i filled out the fafsa already. i'm not completely lost when it comes to doing this. i'm not enrolled in this new college yet, i am transferring. i'm not even accepted yet, if only my old school would send their transcript so i could get in [​IMG] anyway, i'm 26 and i really have no money. i filed my taxes yesterday, my total income was $288, and that came from a disbursement of a retirement acct from when i worked for the town last summer. i will check out these links, thanks!

CJ