What's new

Stuck shopping for a new receiver (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I've decided I need a new receiver for my system. My old one only has one optical input and two coax inputs and HDMI had not been invented. I have a 5.1 system and no interest in adding 7.1 speakers. The rears are on stands next to my sofa and behind it is the kitchen... I have Infinity Beta 20 (150w) surround speakers and a Velodyne 15" powered sub.

I've not found a definitive answer if a 7.1 receiver can run a 5.1 speaker setup without loss of content. It looks possible, but I am not certain. Manuals even skip around the topic. Nearly all receivers are now 7.1 ....

I also was a bit surprized to see how few digital inputs so many have. A few years ago I shopped and found several with half a dozen or more digital inputs. Today they all had about the same number I already have... except for HDMI.

I have two DVD players (one for the TV (hdmi), one for the projector (coax), an IMAC for iTunes (optical), A satelite receiver (optical or hdmi), a Wii (RCA) and am considering a PS3 (optical or hdmi?).

I'd rather not spend much over $300, but I could go to $500 if I had to.

Can you all give me some advice on the correct unit and maybe some info on 5.1 on a 7.1 receiver? Also - if the receiver has HDMI in/out will I always need to have it on to view TV or does it pass-thru when it is off?

There in only a Sears and a Circuit City in my town, and I think I'd prefer brick and mortar... but I can be flexible...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And if you can actually go just a tad higher upto ~$520 (since you mentioned $500), you can also consider the higher featured Onkyo 705 instead, which offers 3 HDMI inputs and a bit more power among other things. Amazon.com has it for that price -- and you can get free standard shipping for it.

_Man_

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Cool, thanks. What about the HDMI - will it pass through when if the receiver is not powered on or must the receiver always be on?

I've been looking at the Sony STR-DG910 for around $400... I'll have to compare it to the Onkyo's

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The receiver has to be on. If you are looking to watch TV without the surround system on, the best bet would be to utilize another input on the TV besides the one that is attached to the receiver.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Bah! - I opted to get a toslink/coax converter box and run it into one of the same coax inputs on my existing amp. Works fine, setup was much easier, and the sound is just as good as before, With $450 to spare...

THanks everyone for your input. Maybe next year...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks