What's new

"Stuck" pixel on my new Sony kp46wt500 crt (lol) (1 Viewer)

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I thought only DLPs got stuck pixels :).

Seriously, I just bought the Sony 46" RPTV and it seems to have a singular "pixel" sized spot that is consistently shades of Cyan. My guess is that I'm seeing a manufacturing defect / speck of dust on the surface of the red CRT lens that is blocking all/most of the red hue (blue+green=cyan). Here are two snapshots:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/ht/dot1.jpg
http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/ht/dot2.jpg

I spoke with the local salesman today, and he's having a tech look at the snaps and tomorrow they'll call about how to tackle the problem. I'm a 75 minute drive away, so I thought I'd make the above snaps for them to speed up the process.

My questions are:

Is this a common problem?
If so, what are the typical remedies?
I've had the set for less than 7 days and the problem has been there since day one; is it reasonable to expect a complete replacement instead of a repair?
If it's just a speck of dust that can be cleaned from the lens, is this something that they have to do at the shop, or can they do it in my living room?

Thanks!

Sean.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If it has a distinct sharp edge to it, I would think it's more of something on or just behind the fresnel screen.

If there was a defect on the lens, I'd suspect the spot would be much bigger than a pixel size and much more fuzzy edged as the light is reflected off the mirror and then through the layers of screen.

The only way to get it off or check would be to open to unit which would likely void the warranty. If it is just some dirt it would be a pretty simple thing to fix. Either have one of the repair guys come out and check it out or have it exchanged if it's large enough to distract.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
David, thanks for the reply!

The repair technician came today and opened up the TV. After some investigation it turned out to be a manufacturing defect in the red crt. It's now on order and being replaced next week.

This is another example of great service at a great price from a locally owned dealer. I reported the problem and, even though I live 75 minutes away, within 3 business days the technician was on-site. He'll be coming back next week to replace the crt.

If anyone here is ever shopping in the central Vermont area, I highly recommend Great Northern Stereo and Electronics Superstore (http://www.superstorevt.com). They have a W. Lebanon, NH location too.

Sean.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they found the problem though a bug/dirt would have been simpler. I've had 3 or 4 silverfish crawl into my set over the years. The first couple ended up between the fresnel and secondary screen and were a real pain to get out. After the second one, I used a small amount of electrical tape all the way around the back of the screen to seal the edges and haven't seen another one since though I did have at least one dead bug end up on the red CRT that was easy to get off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks