Stuck in traffic

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eman_Ramos, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jay, that all depends on how good a cyclist you are [​IMG] I'd be face first in the dirt with exhaustion after the first few miles.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

That's just plain ol' sad.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that Jay is ready to join up with the Posties this summer, Mark. [​IMG]

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

A guy that works for my department just gave his 2 weeks notice. Found a great job paying more..... For an additional 15.00 per day after taxes, he gets to drive through #7 and #15 on the list.

What price is sanity ?

No thanks.

7. Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

A complete listing

I'm curious as to some of these nicknames. (Mousetrap, The Stack, Malfunction Junction). I wonder how they got their names...

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I chose to bike to work in strange hours, like really early and then I leave work around 4pm, in this way I beat rush hour for the sections of road riding I do to get to/from work, but when I used to drive to work at rush hour, I used to only be 10 minutes faster and one reason for this is that the direct car route to work is about 1 mile shorter than my road bike route.

I look back at the time I used to drive to work and I don't know how I did it. I don't know how you folks do it either. I actually enjoy going to work now, it's a whole lot relaxing and less stressful and it's a constant time, I pretty much know exactly when I will arrive because I am not constrained to sudden accidents, traffic, etc. etc. The only thing that will slow me down is a flat, but that is fairly rare anyway.

Are the posties hiring? [​IMG]

Jay

9. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Wow, me too!

I'm glad Albuquerque is no longer on the top 10 list. The Big I used to be a nightmare but now that they've redone it traffic flows much smoother. I'm still torqued about the removal of one of the entrance ramps, though, since it takes another 5-10 min for me to actually get on the freeway.

I just bought a house so I'll have to start travelling through the two sections listed for New Mexico. It's not so bad but could be better.

As far as the cycling go, I could do it since I currently live only a few miles from work. Well, I'm not sure how far exactly, but it's less than 10. Only problem is, the only path is the freeway and, well, that's just not allowed.

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    This will never stop. The problem will continue to sprawl and will eventully affect all states and cities. That is because people continue to insist on having their own private vehicles and not carpooling or using mass transit where available. Everyone wants to be able to sing out loud to their favorite songs and pick their noses without being heard or seen (most of the time, anyway). We are an incredibly selfish species and yet we bitch about the traffic growing intolerable... we can fix the problem! But we don't want to be accountable and we sure as hell don't want to be the slightest bit inconvenienced, even if it means less (or no) reliance on froeign oil, a much cleaner atmosphere and happier legacy for our children, the lessening of traffic problems and deaths and road rage, increased communication with others of our species as we converse more with those we travel with, more peace and mind and a lot less stress! God, what a piece of work we humans are!

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

While I agree some people and businesses have their priority's in the wrong order, in my 20+ yrs of working I have never had a job where I taking mass transit, carpool, ride my bike, etc was remotely feasible.

Ok - I lied.. there was one job where I could take 4 different bus lines, and extend my commute by ~45 minutes each way. That would significantly influence my relationship with my nuclear family and I would be more deserved of contempt than the rant above. Cheers.

13. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

http://www.mesalek.com/colo/icnames.html

The Mousetrap
    I feel this is one of the most unique interchange names in the US. Everyone in the metro calls it this, from drivers to the media to CDOT. The "Mousetrap" name dates from the late 1960s when airborne traffic reporter Don Martin observed the intertwining ramps could trap a mouse. But back then that was different Mousetrap from now. Built in 1951 as the interchange between the Valley Highway and 46th Avenue, it included left entrances and exits in several of the directions. On August 1, 1984, a truck carrying obsolete torpedoes overturned on a ramp, holding up traffic for for hours so the torpedoes could be cleared. It resulted in a traffic nightmare and became a national news event. In 1987 CDOT started upgrading it to the state that it is now.