What's new

Stuck in pro logic? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I installed my home theater yesterday. My first movie was Jurassic Park 3 viewed in DTS. I then watched Gladiator today again in DTS. My receiver decodes DTS perfectly. The problem comes when I want to watch a Dolby Digital only DVD. No matter what I try it always displays Dolby Pro Logic. Even when I sellect Dolby Digital 5.1 in the audio menu of the DVD all I get is Dolby Pro Logic on the display. On my receiver I show coax 1 as sellected and the signal is locked. I know the signal is there but for some reason the receiver will not decode in Dolby Digital. My receiver is a Sherwood RD-7106. I must be overlooking something. Both the instructions for the receiver and DVD player are not clear at explaining what might be wrong.

Chris

Sankar

Second Unit
Some Dolby Digital dvds actually have Dolby Pro Logic recording. In fact, DD could even just be Mono (older movies) .. it all depends on the dvd.
However, I assume that you are referring to the Jurassic Park and Gladiator dvds ? These have 5.1 signals .. so if you still get Dolby Pro Logic with these (choose DD in the menu), then you may have a problem.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I first ran into the problem when I tried to watch Deep Impact. Deep Impact should be recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1. After that I tried Pearl Harbor and Gladiatior and sellecting Dolby Digital 5.1. When I sellect DTS is works just fine but when I try and sellect Dolby Digital it always plays in Dolby Pro Logic. Dolby Digital is not even an option.

I suspect it might be something with my DVD player. Tomorrow I will change out this DVD player with another one in the house. My Sampo 611 has so many audio options in the setup menu anything is possible.

Chris

Kevin P

Screenwriter
In the setup menu of the DVD player there should be an option to select Dolby Digital or DD->PCM output. It's probably set to DD->PCM, which converts the DD track on the DVD to 2-channel PCM. Change it to Dolby Digital (or Bitstream) and then you should get the DD track unaltered sent to your receiver.

What kind of DVD player do you have?

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
>> In the setup menu of the DVD player there should be an option to select Dolby Digital or DD->PCM output. It's probably set to DD->PCM, which converts the DD track on the DVD to 2-channel PCM. Change it to Dolby Digital (or Bitstream) and then you should get the DD track unaltered sent to your receiver.

What kind of DVD player do you have? PCM and the third was DD-> something else. I can't recall what the third one was labeled and I can't look because I am currently at work. In Analog all you get is the Left and Right sound. The sound was completly blank in DD->PCM. The third option I get sound but only in Pro Logic thru the single digital output. I wish I had the name for that third option. I will look it up when I get home tonight.

Chris

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
hey again,

I got this problem figured out (at 3:00am in the morning..LOL). It was a problem with the DVD play configuration. Inside the speaker set up menu for the DVD player it has 3 options Analog, SPDIF/RAW and SPDIF/PCM. In another menu called audio effect it has an option for LPCM Out. The 2 choices is LPCM 48K and LPCM 96K. Last night before before I discovered the problem it would only output in the SPDIF/PCM format in 2ch Pro Logic. When I was reading the manual I discovered the other menu. Now the manual said nothing about what the sampling rates does but I figured 48K was bit low. When I sellected 96K the audio instantly sounded much better but was still stuck in Pro Logic. I went back to the other menu and sellected SPDIF/RAW. The second I sellected that my Dolby Digital indicator lit up on the receiver.

I really wish they would standardize this stuff. I doubt John Q public could ever figure it out.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks