What's new

Stuck in Edmonton, what can I do for a week?? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I just found out I'm going to be in Edmonton for week next week to do some special training. 4:30 - 11:30 M-F. While I am expected to complete my current projects, I'm not expected to work a full 8-4 shift IN ADDITION TO my training, so it looks like I will have some free time in the morning and also late at night. I'm staying at the Westin on 101 and Jasper NW, I believe that's the address... What's good to do while I'm up there? How far away is the Mall? anything worthwhile to amuse myself with nearby in the daytime?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
You're about 2 blocks away from the City Centre mall. but it's nothing special. there is a crappy theater there too as well. don't let me paint too beautiful of a picture for you:)

The big mall (west ed) might be worth visiting with christmas coming up you could probably get a good start on xmas shopping, it's easy to get to by transit or really easy to get to if you've got a car up there.

I've only been in edmonton like 3months and unfortunately I end up doing school work all day and all night so i'm not really much help beyond that.
sorry

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Geez, I haven't been to Edmonton in years... so I'm not sure.

West Ed mall is huge, and worth checking out. You could always spend a day at the waterpark there. ;)

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
What sort of things are you interested in? There are a couple of decent audio stores, Audio Ark (I think) and Audio5.1 are good.

A few off the top of my head:
West Ed Mall is on the far west end of the city, about 20 mins with no traffic. From downtown you can take Stony Plain road all the way to 170th. Turn left and you'll run into the mall.

West of 109th street Jasper Ave has a few decent restaurants and bars.

Go across the river to Whyte Ave. Lots of interesting shops, restaurants and clubs.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh, and I'd just like to offer a friendly wave to my northern DVD-afficiando neighbours. Even if you Edmonton folks did win the Grey Cup. ;)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
The science centre there is pretty cool too. Lots of neat exhibits. They had a murder mystery to solve last time I was there. You went around the ficticious muder scene and collected evidence and interviewed people and then went to a lab to test your findings etc. Pretty well done and a lot of fun!

Of course, going on several trips on the "killer" rollercoaster "The Mind-bender" is a must!

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
It's funny how there's only canucks on the board due to the holiday to the south.

My cousin went on the mindbender this summer and her shoulder restraints came off half way through the ride. I personally would have wet myself at that point. The ride operator didnt' notice their frantic screaming (i'm sure everyone is screaming) until the 2nd or 3rd trip around the track. ACK!

There's a big craft sale on campus here next weekend:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Whyte Avenue is a great place to visit! If you're into medieval weapons and armor, be sure to check out the little Whyte Knight shop that is close to the Wee Book Inn on Whyte ave.

Also, you could try crashing the Bioware offices, which is on the 2nd (or is it 3rd?) floor at the building that is connected to the Chapters store alongside it. Bioware has a nice display of all their awards and some of their gaming art in the reception area.

I'm still peeved that Bioware didn't hire me...I could have singlehandedly fixed the bugs in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, saved the universe, and be home in time for a kipper! (I hope I said that right) :D

Edmonton is the place to be for shopping, and not just at West Ed (which is not so good). Whyte Avenue has some nice shops. Oh, and if you are into Vietnamese food, be sure to visit Bach Dang on 80 ave or so. It's in the parking lot across from the famous Bee Bell Bakery (they have the best banana cream pies in Alberta). Bach Dang is one of my favorite restaurants - and you may even run into Bioware staff when they take their lunchbreak. :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Mark, I never realized you moved to Edmonton. Had enough of Lethbridge?

Its too bad its winter or I would say check out the rivervalley. Of course, you could still check it out but in the summer when its nice, thats the best time.

The Mutart Conservatory is a great place to kill an afternoon, especially on a -20C day. Then again, the lobby of your fancy hotel might have more foliage than the Mutart...

If you want some nightlife check out Whyte ave. Like Max said, it has a variety of shops and great places to hang out. At night though the true Whyte ave rears its ugly head and the party begins, especially on weekends. Don't get caught fighting on the sidewalk or be prepared for a $250.00 fine (I think thats how much it is). Pick up a copy of See magazine or Vue, they are free and in boxes/newstands throughout the city. Gives you an idea of whats going in town for the week, sometimes you can see cool bands like Lee Aaron or Doucette. Near city hall is the Winspear center, one of the best acousticly built hall's in North America. If a decent band is playing there I think it would be a real treat. Another great restraunt is The King And I on Whyte, its Thai cuisine. I still haven't ate there but I have heard nothing but good things about it over the years.

Other than that and what others have said, I can't really think of anything else to do. Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed on Vancouver Island :)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Not so much that I got sick of lethbridge as it was that I decided to do my masters and was forced to move. Wanted to stay close enough to be able to see my girlfriend on a semi-regular basis.

I forgot that there's also two good theaters on Whyte. The princess and the Garneau (actually not on whyte but in the same general area) theaters both show independant films and are worth visiting for their very distinctive atmospheres.
you can find info at Filmcan

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
So no more outdoor hockey games this year?
That was so cool...or should I say freezing!

Jason L.

Second Unit
I would like to concur that the rollercoaster in the West Edmonton Mall is a badass. It was a bit painful, though.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
It's funny how there's only canucks on the board due to the holiday to the south.
I was just thinking I'm impressed with the amount of Albertans on the board. :D

That and it's so quiet around here, I'm wondering if everyone to the south is passed out from turkey overdoses. ;)

Shane Bos

Second Unit
2 years ago I also would have recommended the Drop of Doom but they took it out. I will also mention the space and science centre again as it is definatly worth checking out. Also if you're into politics the Alberta legislature is a cool place to visit. The night life on both Whyte and Jasper Ave is very good.

It's hard to not find something to do in West Ed. From shopping to amusement park, water park, mini-golf, bowling, arcades, over 120 eateries, 3 movie theatres including a famous players and an IMax. Go to the liqour store then next door to get a piercing or tatoo. One of my favorites in to harass the staff at the International Stereo pretend you're really interested in some of those [sarcasm] kick ass [/sarcasm] Nuance speakers.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oh BTW, I think the Silver City movie theater in West Ed is the worst big theater in Alberta. Out of focus IMAX projection (with weird "convergence" problems) with blown speakers that hiss and pop every 2 minutes (back in 2001 in a screening of Artificial Intelligence). Overly dim bulbs that fluctuate throughout the screening (2002, screening of The Two Towers in one of the non-IMAX theaters - Helms Deep was so dark you literally could not see anything...with a flickering projector bulb to add salt to the wounds).

Only go to the Silver City to watch the 30 foot fire-breathing dragon! Assuming it still works.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The night life on both Whyte and Jasper Ave is very good.
I'll have to disagree Shane. Whyte ave has night life but Jasper ave is quite dead. You could shoot a cannon down it on a Friday and not have to worry about hitting anyone. Trust me, I live downtown and usually venture south for the action.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
What happened to places like the Druid they used to be packed on Friday and Saturday night. Some of my favorite places in Edmonton are on Jasper Ave. On Whyte Ave I like O'Byrnes and the Black Dog.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yeah, Druid is good and so is The Stonehouse and a few others in the area. But downtown isn't a people magnet like Whyte ave is....

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
There is this nice pub on Whyte that has a kick-ass anti-smoke machine. I can't remember it's name. The interior is square, about 30-40 feet wide. It has this large air-conditioning like machine mounted on the ceiling in the center that sucks up the smoke, filters it, and fresh air comes out.

Smoke in pubs and clubs suck, especially in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks