Stuck in a dilemma... I know you guys can get me out of it!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Jul 28, 2001
    Okay, I'm stuck between purchasing the lower end JBL Northridge series, or upgrading the fronts and center to the Studio series.
    Now I was reading some reviews and people were saying that the Northridge series were lacking in bass. Then after reading about the Studio series I started to get interested because of the compliments on the bass pressense that the Northridge series lacked and such.
    Alright, I was thinking, I'm going to be using a sub with my HT so do I REALLY need to go to the Studio series and spend an extra $200 or so? So, in your opinion 1. do you guys think that my HT will be sufficient enough with "bass lacking" JBL Northridge speakers that my sub will pick up, or 2. get the Studio line because it can out put some bass?
    Isn't it possible to just set the fronts and the rears as "small" and have all the low frequencies sent to the sub? My room is only about 11x15 and my reciever is about 110wpc (Sony STR DE945)
    Sorry for the newbie questions, but I won't be able to upgrade for a long time and I want something I'll be happy with for a while.
    Thanks for any input!!
  2. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Mar 23, 2001
    Now by all means I'm no expert, but I have the Northridge Series and am very happy.
    All you would need with the Northridge series is the sub you say you are getting. I haven't had a hardcore listing session of the Studio Series, but with a sub you will be happy with the Northridge Series IMHO.
    But above all, do whatever sounds best to you.......Wil
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time
    [Edited last by Wil_J on August 08, 2001 at 09:13 AM]
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    As long as you are using a sub, the N26's should be fine. They go down to 55Hz, which is plenty for mains and surrounds. They will lack LOW bass, as most bookshelf speakers do. The N24's will have little or no bass as they drop off at 75Hz. When you hook them up, try setting them as "large" to see how they sound full range. If they don't like it, set them to small. Your sub and it's settings will be a big factor here, but try to get the mains to sound right before bringing the sub into play.
    I am running my Paradigm Titans set large with 105wpc. With a claimed 60Hz, they have no discernable distortion, even at very loud levels.
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
  4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Mar 2, 1999
    I'd say you would be better off with the JBL's for the following reasons......
    Your receiver doesn't have flexible bass management right? So you could find yourself wanting/needing more power to drive the Studio's and I am not sure you would be happy driving the studio's full range without more power. With your receiver, driving speakers on the small setting (80 to 100hz crossover) will require less of the receiver amps. More than likely the Sony receiver only pushes about 80 wpc with all channels driven at all frequencies (if that).
  5. David Ebbert

David Ebbert Extra

Jan 26, 2000
    I'm using the JBL N-38 for the front left and right, the N-Center, and the N-28 speakers for the rears. I've got them hooked up to a Sony STR-DE845 and I couldn't be any happier...aside from winning the lotto.