What's new

Stuart Little Widescreen (1 Viewer)

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find the original Stuart Little anamorphic widescreen dvd that was released a year ago? All I can find now is the crappy full frame "deluxe edition". Did they discontinue the widescreen version?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I picked up a used copy from Secondspin.com a week ago for $9.00. You might also try Half.com or Ebay.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
They had a widescreen DVD of Stuart Little?!?!? WTF happened? Just because it's a family like film for kids doesn't mean they have to pan and scan it. Lots of kids from what I hear on this forum actually prefer OAR. Pan and scan was very bad in the past and it's still bad today. The only way to fix it is have the people who pan and scan movies shut down so no more movies get ruined. This is an outrage and it WILL stop. I hope. Oh god. The more I think about those movie wreckers, the more I wanna hunt them down and savatage their pan and scan machines. But I won't do that. LONG LIVE OAR!!!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
The older copies of Stuart Little (P&S and WS) were discontinued by Columbia Tri Star when the new Deluxe Edition was announced. I'm not sure if it's been enforced yet, but I sure haven't seen a wealth of either version lately. You should, however, be able to find one of the old discs either new at a large retailer or Used at your source for that. As a matter of fact, I think that they can still be ordered. And don't be fooled by the Deluxe Version crap. Both previous editions of Stuart Little and Men In Black (Limited Edition, back then) are of much better quality and substance than this new, "cashing in on the sequel" versions, IMHO.

Matt

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What were they smoking when they decided to make the "Deluxe Edition" pan and scan??? Do they really think anyone who wants pan and scan is going to listen to a commentary track?
I see that pan-and-scan Grinch with the special packaging and premium price hasn't sold too well either. Best Buy still has a ton on the shelves.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Both previous editions of Stuart Little and Men In Black (Limited Edition, back then) are of much better quality and substance than this new, "cashing in on the sequel" versions, IMHO.
How do you figure the old ones were so much better? They're identical for the most part! The Little DE differs just because it's fullscreen and adds some Little 2 info; it changes some trailers, but that's it. MIB DE adds info about its sequel and otherwise only slightly alters some trailers, weblinks and the booklet, and it loses the paper drawing. You can argue that Little suffers in comparison with the old widescreen one because it's fullscreen, but I don't understand arguments that the MIB DE stinks when compared with the old LE - they're virtually identical, and the DE's much less expensive...

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Someone piss in your Cheerios, Colin? A little aggressive for Stuart Little and MIB, I think. Anyway, to answer your questions, I never said that the new MIB stinks. I said that it didn't offer much Value over the old one to necessitate a purchase, i.e., Deluxe Edition wasn't any better than what's already on the market. It was pretty apparent to me that the thread poster didn't have a history of these releases and might want to get some differing opinions and information. Your mileage may vary. Thanks for setting me straight, though :rolleyes:
Matt

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you thought my response was aggressive - it wasn't intended that way. I just listed the facts of the situation.

Your statement didn't say that these "didn't offer much Value over the old one to necessitate a purchase, i.e., Deluxe Edition wasn't any better than what's already on the market." As quoted above, you originally clearly stated that the old ones were greatly superior to the new ones...

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
If i am still considered a kid by u guys, im 14, yes i do preffer OAR and have converted many of my friends to OAR advocates. Im proud to support OAR and argue with other people I see at video stores who tell me WideScreen is for idiots. Long live OAR!!!

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Just a little note.
I was looking at the dvd's in a local store a couple of days ago and saw the Stuart Little and Men In Black Deluxe editions standing there.
I looked at the back on both discs and saw to my delight that both do have widescreen presentations on it.
So the Region 02 versions (at least here in Holland) do have widescreen.
Also there was a Spider-Man making of included as well :D
Greetz.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Quint,
to the best of my knowledge, Stuart little deluxe is NOT in widescreen. I have been looking everywhere. Where did you find it?

thanks,
dan

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Dan, I am talking about the Dutch Region 02 version of Stuart Little Widescreen dvd not in Region 01.

It clearly stated on the back of the cover 16x9 and 4x3 so both ratios are available on this disc.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
There's a lot of idiots who KNOW Letterbox gets MORE of the image, but still prefer fullscreen because "it fills the whole screen" or "I didn't buy a 50" TV to only have 40 inches taken up." Good job Deepak. I try to educate a lot of people to. I just kinda sneak it into the subject. Start talking about DVD players, then talk about widescreen. I usually get "OH REALLY?" and such. There's a couple people that work at our local video store that are like what I mentioned above. Knowing that letterbox gets more picture, but rather have the whole screen filled up. IMO, not only pan and scan cuts stuff out, but I find it even fuzzier and Letterbox movies look much sharper. I even printed out one of them PDF files on widescreenadvocate.com and posted it on my bedroom door. I also plan to post it in my local video store with permission so when some letterbox hater comes and bitches about the black bars, then the clerk can just point to the poster and let him/her read about it and maybe convert.

Rick Pay

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd let you that I found the widescreen original Stuart Little dvd at a Blockbuster yesterday for 16.99. It was the last one left in the back of all of the crappy pan and scan "Deluxe" versions. Went to Best Buy, Circuit City, K-Mart, and Tower before finally finding this copy. IMO this version has plenty of extras and blows the P&S version away. Anyway, my daughter will be happy along with me, teaching her that widescreen is the way to go.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hi Rick,
Yeah, I bought SL in widescreen for my son when he was 3 and he loved it. Never once mentioned anything about black bars, etc. He's almost 5 now, and I've got him saying "rectangles are cool, squares suck" when it comes to watching tv. I realized that I have warped his "fragile little mind" , but all for the cause :) Seriously, though - he'll be better prepared for an HDTV society that he's going to grow up in and besides that, the widescreen ratio isn't too extreme on SL. Congrats of finding a copy!
Matt
PS - Colin... whoever tee-tee'd in your Cherios got a little in mine, too ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks