What's new

Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I guess I should say that I have a feeling that it will be bare bones...it may well turn out to be a fairly packed SE, but I just get a bad vibe that it won't be.

I hope my "feelings" are off on this one.

Um I hope its an oversight on the part of DavisDVD and a commentary with Gordon & Combs and possibly others will be included on From Beyond. They had mentioned recording one ages ago.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night and enjoyed it.

The restoration is really excellent and they did a amazing job restoring the workprint footage into the movie. I was really in awe of how great it looked having only seen the p&s home video version before. The cast commentary as usual with these guys is pretty amusing.

The new footage is amazing and bloody:) The wait was worth it just to see the eyeball scene fully restored and put back in guys.

Great great job.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
It was such a good restoration. I can imagine this looking amazing in HD. As you said, they did an amazing job matching the workprint with the movie. The featurette included does a decent job at explaining it

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The restoration was so good, I had absolutely no idea it even was restored, until I checked out the editing featurette.
As far as how it might look in HD- I was thinking the same thing, but only because I honestly can't imagine it being any more impressive than it already is on this dvd. In fact, it's exactly because of DVDs like this that I can perfectly understand the 95% of people out there who say they have no interest whatsoever in HD and are perfectly satisfied with DVDs as they are. The PQ on this disc simply floored me. This is one of the best looking discs I've ever seen. On a 70+" wide screen, I couldn't detect any flaws at all.

While I never used to think of the movie as anything more than a weak follow-up to Re-animator in just about every sense, I did enjoy this viewing of it- and the scenes of Barbara Crampton in that fetish gear are still some of my most fondly remembered images from 80s cinema. Re-animator may have always had the benefit of more skin, but I find this one, especially now, a hell of a lot sexier.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I wouldnt put From Beyond in Re-Animators league, but to me it was always a "fun movie".

Will K

Screenwriter
Until two nights ago, I hadn't seen FB in about fifteen years. Revisting the film was a real treat. While I don't consider it a major classic, I think it holds up remarkably well. It's just good, gross fun. Hats off to the restoration team. I never thought FB would look this good and colorful. It's amazing how the workprint footage was cleaned-up and reinserted. To my eyes anyway, it's seamless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks