What's new

STS-107: the CAIB report, the future, and commitment. (1 Viewer)

Ray B.

Agent
... but the NASA culture won't change, no matter how much blame it takes or how many memos O'Keefe sends out.
I'm not so sure about that. I've seen hefty attitude changes in the flight controller community, at least. I can see how other areas will be slow to change, though.

For those of you that liked the CAIB report, be sure to read NASA's plan of action for return to flight. It's a real page-turner. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that it has been posted (or, rather, linked) at Keith Cowing's site; planning on reading it tonight. Thanks! (Ray, how many JSC employees are posting at HTF? Three?)

EDIT: Just saw that the RTF plan is not being released until Monday. Drat. Ray, can you offer some highlights or teasers?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
NY Times has this article: Senators Question Why NASA Failed to Assess Blame

Admiral Gehman echoes much of the sentiment in this thread:

"Over a decade, the spending power of the NASA budget was reduced by over 40 percent," Admiral Gehman said. The pressure of budgets grew to influence how the management system worked throughout the agency, he added.

The board's report noted that NASA did not have a clear vision for the future of human spaceflight. Admiral Gehman said after the hearing that there needed to be a public policy debate on the trade-offs between sending humans into space and using robotic spacecraft.

"Now, NASA is operating without a clear, nationally accepted mandate," he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks