Stryke SAE 1204 noise problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Parker, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Well I just built a subwoofer using the stryke sae 1204 woofer. Its a 12" woofer with 14mm xmax one way. It is rather similar to the dayton dvc and adire shiva, except it uses a cast aluminum basket, and I believe it has a larger diameter voice coil.

Anyways, the box I built is 5 cuft downfiring and uses 2 4" diameter ports that are 34 inches long. This should provide a tune around 18hz. Unfortunatly when running sine waves at full volume to the woofer, at 20 and 25hz, you can hear chuffing through the port! I am really surprised because on the stryke website it says to use 1 4" or 3" diameter port!!! I have at least twice their reccomendation, yet I STILL get port noise! What am I doing wrong? Thanks guys

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Jerry, are both ends of your vents flared? If not, it is extremely recommended that your vents be flared. Non-flared vents are usually main culprits of the chuffing noise you mention.

3. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Actually, one end is flared, but not much at all. I guess it isnt even enough to make a difference. Unfortunatly I dont see how I could flare both ends of the ports as they are already installed in the box, and are so long and deep, that I dont think that I can remove them. I guess I have to live with it. It will be downfiring, but isnt right now because I dont have the legs yet. Hopefully that too will help get rid of some port noise. Thanks again.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

34" length of 4" is too long (can lead to pipe resonance). You should aim to keep the port lengths 5-6 times the width of the port.

I made this mistake once in the construction phase, and on my second try, opted to use a single 6" port 22" long rather than three 4" ports 36" long.