Stryke power 15.2 kit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan F, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Allan F

Allan F Agent

This is a very interesting kit at $800 total with an assembled cabinet. Has anyone actually built one of these and how does it perform? How would you guess this would perform in comparison to say an SVS Ultra? Just curious.

Thanx,

Allan

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Allan,
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The thread that Jack references contains a lot of the construction details. I just completed my first 15.2 cube and have started on the 2nd. It is superior to my Paradigm Servo-15 in every respect (musically, extention, SPL, etc.). I plan on doing a subjective musical comparison with an Aerial SW12 in the near future (it involves moving the 15.2... not fun). There is also a ported design using the HE15 driver (found at the end of the thread). You will need a powerful amp to drive this sub (Crown K1 or K2 have been popular choices). You will also want to invest in a parametric EQ to tame the inductance hump and room modes. When all is said and done, you're looking at ~$2k for the entire package (less if you don't mind an amp with a fan). Other drivers that fall into the same category as the HE15 (high excursion, high power) would include the new Blueprint drivers and the new Adire Brama drivers.
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp As for performance comparisons, Noussaine has reviewed a prototype with a slightly lower tuning (less bass in the 20-30Hz region). You can see the performance charts on Stryke's website.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The performance plots aren't a good indicator of the quality of the bass.
    So as to attempt to be politically correct (don't laugh Jack [​IMG] ) I'll just say the following.
    If you need a sub that will play rock & roll SPL's 24/7 and has the smallest footprint possible build the Stryke cube.
    There a subs available the play lower, and have tighter bass, but their footprint will be slightly larger

4. Allan F

Allan F Agent

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Allan

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

TW and PC are two sets of initials that I'd just as soon keep as far apart from one another as possible, thank you very much![​IMG]
    There's nothing more emasculating than an grown man that finds it necessary to be PC all the time!
    Brian

6. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I hooked up the 15.2 for some testing this weekend. The cab is not quite complete, with the wire run through a tight but not sealed hole. There is no stuffing or damping inside yet. The sub is not in a corner, in our open plan living room it is about center in a space about 5000ft^3 and L-shaped (it's about 4ft diagonally from the bend in the L).
    I have been hoping that the eq would not be necessary immediately and reasoned that between my room hump at ~45hz, the driver hump at ~65hz, and room gain down low I might get away with running it straight for now. Tonight I took some measurements to see how it's working out.
    I used a wave gen running on my laptop (the program will only play >=18hz tones). This is not pink noise, just sine waves. Using radio shack 33-2050 on 80hz scale and the best corrections I could find, with the mic at 1/2" from the woofer this is what i got:
    freq / raw / correction / corrected spl
    18 -6
    20 -5 +7.5 +2.5
    22 -1.5
    24 -.5
    25 0 +5 +5
    26 +.3
    28 +1
    30 +1.2
    31.5 +1.8 +3 +4.8
    35 +2.4
    40 +3 +2.5 +5.5
    45 +3.5
    50 +3.5 +1.5 +5
    55 +3.8
    60 +3.8
    63 +4 +1.5 +5.5
    65 +3.5
    70 +3
    75 +2.8
    80 +2
    Hopefully this is a decent method for measurement. So far this is right on with the model of -3db at ~19hz. Listening tests of JP1 dts (the last disc released) were incredible, as was the TS2 intro. Haven't had extensive time to listen, and there've been alot of Xmas tunes on the rig tonight. Anyone know of a Xmas Bass Torture Disc? [​IMG]
    I measured the PR output at 1/2" also but don't know what to make of it. Here it is for S&G:
    18 -1.5
    20 -2
    22 -2
    24 -2.2
    26 -2.3
    28 -2.5
    30 -2.2
    The PR has fair motion at 20hz but very little at 30hz. About what would be expected but I guess the output at 30hz is coming from the main cone?
    I probably need to do some location spl graphs to really know what kind of eq is needed, but this is pretty good so far. I really want to trot it outside and not have the room gain issue to see what the real response is. I built the cabinet slightly bigger and added internal bracing, so while I think the volume is right, the tuning might be a little off.
    All that said, wow is this a fun woofer! There's nothing like seeing the cone throw madly while the house vibrates. Very cool. So far, the sound is very good. We heard low wind noises that were from the storm in JP1 that added a dimension of being there that was incredible. You gotta get bass at these levels! No home theater is complete without it! Can't wait to try TPM [​IMG]
    Vince

7. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

8. Paul_H

Paul_H Extra

I noticed someone was selling a K2 pretty cheaply over on ProSoundWeb. K2 for sale Since that amp is so popular on this board I thought I would pass it along.