What's new

Stryke Power 15.2 cabinet and what driver? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I just multiplied 804 cm^2 Sd by 2.6cm Xmax. That gave me 2090 cm^3, or 2.1 liters one-way. Is that the way to do it?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
I'm starting to believe the line just below your name.
Hehe, yeah, I fully admit it! The last thing I need is another subwoofer, but I just like playing with these things so much I couldn't resist the temptation.
Besides, I have some really needy friends :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, yeah, I fully admit it! The last thing I need is another subwoofer, but I just like playing with these things so much I couldn't resist the temptation.
Besides, I have some really needy friends
:) I know what you mean, I have more projects on the burner than I can hope to complete. :)
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Jack,
You were correct. Something was messed up with Bassbox, so it wouldn't recalculate correctly. 4.1L it is. Sorry for the mixup.
John

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Alrighty, John, it doesn't take much to make me think I'm nuts.
I am also working with Thilo right now on a few variations of the HE15. One will be using a copper faraday, similar to the Lambda drivers to further lower distortion, and lower the inductance. The other variation will be going with a longer VC and slightly shorter gap plate of 1" thickness instead of 1.4" thickness. This will give 25.4mm overhang and should dumax at right around 29mm. Most likely i will go with this longer VC AND the copper sleeve.
Great, more drivers I'll want. :) It appears that we're in the midst of some sort of "arms race" in regards to sub drivers, all kinds of great stuff hitting the market.
Is materials technology driving this, or other advancements?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, like Thomas says, the Tempest's lower Fs will allow it to play lower in the right enclosure.Looking at it quickly in Unibox, if you just put a 1503 in your box of fixed Vb,they look pretty close.
The Tempest seems to have a bit more output/sensitivity in the upper bass, the 1503 shows a little
more deep bass around tuning (its lower Vas allows it to more closely approach an EBS alignment in
that box).
The 1503 has more power handling and displacement, so has a good deal more potential output with
more power, but you'd also have to be careful about driving your PRs into overexcursion were you to
substitute a 1503. As Thomas has also pointed out, these high-inductance woofers require some eq
in the upper reaches top pull down a peak, but I think you've already got the eq covered.

Thanks Jack much appreciated!
So do you think it would worth the swap for me.
I'm looking for the most output,below 30hz!
Also with the Tempest,the Pr's not even close to reach it's max excursion,so I think there is room for the Blueprint,if it's worth to swap it out,say if it's 3db or more @20hz.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Tough call, Lewis. Again, just looking at what Unibox tells me (nowhere near as valuable as Thomas' hands-on advice, of course), it looks like the PRs would run out of steam before you were able to really take advantage of the extra displacement of the 1503. With the Tempest, the 2 PR-15s provide ~4x the Vd of the driver, which is ideal. With the 1503, you're down to about 2.5x. The Tempest takes about 500 watts to max the driver and PRs, the 1503 takes about 800 watts before the PRs reach their limits (the driver isn't even close to Xmax yet). At these power levels, I see very similar curves and SPL's, with the 1503 having a bit more output around 20Hz, maybe 3db.
I think the 1503 really needs to be treated like an HE15, I'd rather see it with two of the 18" Stryke PR's, or 3 PR-15s. If you could somehow add another PR-15 to that box, then the box could take more power, and would have an appreciable advantage below 30Hz. You'd have to break the news to Terry, though. :)
In that box,I think I'd stick with the Tempest, especially since you're not reaching its limits. This is just software, though, perhaps Thomas will be able to help out.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Krell MRS klone is probably going to require a Linkwitz Transform circuit given the very small cabinet. I'll just use a Marchand Bassis for initial testing.
Thomas, once you establish the performance you like via the Bassis, what would the advantage be of substituting a LT circuit for it? What improvement would a "real" LT crcuit provide, or what drawback would there be to using the Bassis, if any?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

AjayM

Screenwriter
Thomas, once you establish the performance you like via the Bassis, what would the advantage be of substituting a LT circuit for it? What improvement would a "real" LT crcuit provide, or what drawback would there be to using the Bassis, if any?
And to take that a step further, how about just using a regular parametric EQ (like BFD)?
Andrew
------------------

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The bassis is a TL with a single band of EQ. The only advantage of a dedicated LT over the bassis is cost savings.
Yes a parametric EQ will most likely be needed to flatten the response. I'm sure that this will have the 70Hz hump inherent in the high excursion drivers. But the EQ can't change the "Q" like a TL can

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Pat emailed me late last night. My CC was charged Friday, my 1803 should ship today, and I should have it by this Friday!
Brian
Brian,
I received my FedEx tracking number today, I expect the 1803 next Wed. The shipping weight is 74lbs.
eek.gif

------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
I got my tracking number also, but I'm not sure what delivery date is. It shipped yesterday so I'm hoping by Friday! I want to show it off to a friend this weekend. 74lbs. huh? Mine said 60lbs.? That's a big difference!
Did you order more than just the 1803? I better email Pat!
Brian
------------------
[Edited last by Brian Bunge on October 24, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Nah, just one 1803. 74lbs. is what FedEx shows me as the total weight. I read on the MAD board that they're shipped in a wooden crate inside a cardboard box, so that's probably 10lbs. right there.
I'll show mine off to my wife, and she'll gave me that look she reserves for these types of things, a seemingly incongruous combination of disinterest and outright hostility usually seen only during exorcisms and honeymoons. She will not think that $225 was a bargain. Then again, she's never been one to brag about Vd.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 24, 2001 at 09:17 PM]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
OK, so why is mine only 60lbs.? I guess that's a rhetorical question until I hear from Pat! Man, if I got sent the wrong sub I'm gonna be bummed! Maybe I didn't get the wooden crate treatment. I also double checked and delivery is scheduled for Monday. I guess I'll have to wait and see when it gets here.
Brian
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Got a response from Pat! He says the total weight should be 60lbs. and that FedEx trys to stick them with extra shipping charges every now and then! Sounds like your sub is one of those cases!
Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Almost forgot! Just an FYI, Pat said he measured the volume displacement of the 1803 as .21ft^3. I thought this might be helpful in determining net internal volume of your sub enclosure!
Brian

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Jack, what kinda sub you're gonna build with the Blueprint 18"?[design].
Sorry if it's been asked,I don't lurke around here as much.
Thanks!
PS I'll keep the Tempest,I'm quiet happy with it's performance. Maybe for the next project we'll use the Blueprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks