Stryke Power 15.2 cabinet and what driver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I am looking at a variety of ways to obtain my next sub. I have a 11 X 14 X 8 room. I've been looking at sub kits by Adire Audio and the Dharman fully constructed caught my eye as well as the Parts Express DVC 15" kit.
    What seemed to be the most attractive kit was the Stryke Power 15.2 cabinet. What I'd like to know is what alternatives to the HE 15 (less expensive) would work fine in this cabinet?
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

2. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

I would think that the Blueprint 1503 driver would work as well. Has anyone actually run the sims on it?

3. Chris_Brunhaver

Yeah, it looks very good in ~4 cubic feet with two of the styke 1600 gram 18" PRs. With a 4th order 80 hz lowpass you get an f3 of around 20 hz.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Have put a 1503 in a Stryke cube, performance is quite similar to the HE-15. It's construction isn't quite as robust, but plays loud enough for most sane applications.
    Am in the midst of making a klone of the Krell MRS using a pair of the 1503's, I'll post data when it's completed. Oh, no I'm not using aluminium plate for the cabinet, it's just too expensive [​IMG]

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Bob Sorel

Thomas, have you tried the 1503 as a direct replacement for the HE 15 in your AS15 ported cabinet? I am planning on building a pair of them soon (using the 1503) and wondered if I would need to make any modifications to accomodate the different driver. Or should I just wait until the Krell MRS klone is complete and build one cabinet to house both 1503's?
    [Edited last by Bob Sorel on October 21, 2001 at 06:59 AM]

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Where could I find information about the Blue Print 1503 Driver?
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    Have you received your 1803 yet? I hope they show up in the next week or so! I'm getting antsy. I don't know why because I still have to build the enclosure and still need an amp!
    Martice,
    Go to www.blueprintdrivers.com and click on the 03 series drivers.
    Brian
    ------------------

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Bob
    Yes the 1503 is a straight drop-in in the AS-15 cabinet. Since the T/S parameters are very close to the HE-15, the cabinet tuning is spot on.
    The Krell MRS klone is probably going to require a Linkwitz Transform circuit given the very small cabinet. I'll just use a Marchand Bassis for initial testing. Will start construction on the prototype cabinet later this week. Jon has the CLIO system out in San Jose, so I can't do any bigtime measurements.
    I don't expect the MRS klone to sound better than the AS-15, it's just going to be a smaller but not necessarily lighter cabinet. Am still trying to create a good 'mobile' (you know the military definition) sub, to use in a vacation home.
    [Edited last by ThomasW on October 21, 2001 at 09:03 AM]

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Have put a 1503 in a Stryke cube, performance is quite similar to the HE-15. It's construction isn't quite as robust, but plays loud enough for most sane applications.
    >>>>>>>
    Thomas you already have your 1503s? I am looking forward you to review of these...how much power they take in a given box, output , SQ, etc.

12. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hi James,
    Yes I've had a pair for several weeks, ordered them during the DUMAX sale. They are very nice drivers especially considering the price. They're sort of a cross between a Tempest and HE-15. Carbon fiber epoxied to a thick pulp cone. I believe they use the same cast 'Venezuela' frame as the Stryke PR's/Lambda 15"s, and some TC-Sounds units. Not quite 'audio jewelry' like the HE-15's but pretty impressive in an industrial way.
    I should have some preliminary data by next weekend, if I can shake a sinus infection that's put a stop to woodworking lately.

13. Bob Sorel

Thanks again, Thomas!
    I too already have 2 of the 1503's in my hands since about 3 weeks ago, and I agree with Thomas' assessment (well put, Thomas!). I've simply been trying to decide how I am going to use them. I was all set to start on a pair of AS15's, but now that I know about the Krell MRS klone, I think I'll wait to find out how that project progresses. It's starting to get pretty cold in this part of the country, and my car will want to be back in the garage (which doubles as a workshop), so I probably won't be able to get to this next project until Spring anyway.
    Besides, I still have 3 Unity Horns scheduled to arrive soon and that project takes precedence over yet another subwoofer [​IMG]
    Thomas, is there any preliminary info you can share with us about the MRS project?
    [Edited last by Bob Sorel on October 21, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    I sent Pat an email about a month ago and he had me send my credit card info. in two separate emails, which I did. Since then I haven't heard much. About two weeks ago I emailed him asking when the units would start shipping. He said they were starting that day and would continue over the next 10-12 days. Since I never actually received any confirmation that one was reserved for me I went ahead and emailed him this evening asking if in fact one was reserved for me and if so, when I should expect to receive it.
    I'll let you know what I hear.
    Brian
    ------------------

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Does anyone know how the Blueprint driver[15"] would compare to the Tempest?
    Output,response, power handling,extension?
    The box I have right now [built by Terry C],is Pr design with 2 Adire 15" PR's and the Tempest,tuned to 17.6 hz,and is 5.7^ft,large.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

16. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Bob
    The initial plan is for a sealed box, roughly 20"X20"X29". Internal stiffening braces like in the AS-15, but spaced every 4" along the length. Front and rear baffles 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, and all other walls 2 layers of 3/4" MDF.
    Am hoping to make these with some interesting esthetics. Possibly stained/lacquered oak slats laminated to the outside that will simulate the look of the real MRS.
    Lewis
    Basically the Tempest will play lower given it's Fs. The BP 1503 will play louder but not as low.

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,
    Pat emailed me late last night. My CC was charged Friday, my 1803 should ship today, and I should have it by this Friday! [​IMG]
    Brian

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Brian,
    I just heard from Pat, so I'll be able to place my order today.
    Bob,
    I'm starting to believe the line just below your name. [​IMG]
    Lewis,
    Yeah, like Thomas says, the Tempest's lower Fs will allow it to play lower in the right enclosure. Looking at it quickly in Unibox, if you just put a 1503 in your box of fixed Vb,they look pretty close. The Tempest seems to have a bit more output/sensitivity in the upper bass, the 1503 shows a little more deep bass around tuning (its lower Vas allows it to more closely approach an EBS alignment in that box).
    The 1503 has more power handling and displacement, so has a good deal more potential output with more power, but you'd also have to be careful about driving your PRs into overexcursion were you to substitute a 1503. As Thomas has also pointed out, these high-inductance woofers require some eq in the upper reaches top pull down a peak, but I think you've already got the eq covered.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

19. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Jack,
    I was just wondering how you came up with the 4.1L number for the Blueprint 1503. According to their parameters, Sd is 804 sq cm, and Dumax Xmax is 26mm. This allows for 1.87L each way, and multiplying by two gives 3.74L displacement according to my calculations.
    I am also working with Thilo right now on a few variations of the HE15. One will be using a copper faraday, similar to the Lambda drivers to further lower distortion, and lower the inductance. The other variation will be going with a longer VC and slightly shorter gap plate of 1" thickness instead of 1.4" thickness. This will give 25.4mm overhang and should dumax at right around 29mm. Most likely i will go with this longer VC AND the copper sleeve.
    John