What's new

Stryke HE15.4 project complete.......First Impressions. (1 Viewer)

Rick Sorken

Auditioning
Hi,
I just thought I'd drop by with a few pictures and impressions of the Stryke 15.4 sub project that I have just completed. This is my first DIY sub project, so many tools were purchased and I really enjoyed the project.
I will list below some of the links and pictures that helped me complete this project. I started off with the HE15 drivers & SAPR 18 passive radiators from Stryke. I then got the plans for the enclosure from the site as well. I guess I spent about 20-25 hrs to complete the project. I wired all the connections to this input plate purchased from Parts Express. All 4 voice coils were hook to the plate with 12 gauge wire. I then used a couple of small pieces to make jumpers to present a 2 ohm load to each of the two channels of my Cinepro amp which should provide about 900 watts to each driver for a total of 1800 watts. Here a couple of my photos.
Constuction
Constuction

Constuction

Constuction

In Room Finished
The sub has been turned 45 degees to the corner and sounds much better.
I also purchased a Behringer Feed Back Destroyer which is IMO is a must to get proper sound from the sub. I found a wealth of info at Sonnie Parkers site on Link Removed.......well worth the time if you never used this type of equipment. The one thing I did is to do nearfield measurement and adjust from that point. I need to take a hard look at some room treatments to tame some peaks and nulls at my listening position.
Measurements without BFD & with BFD
Measurements
Settings on BFD
Well, I guess the main thing is that I am very, very happy with the sound of the HE15.4 and the impact of the bass during movies is incredible. Music bass is tight and sounds very good to my ears. I hope that you can find some useful info in this post.......it has been fun. :)
Many thanks to Bob Sorel who got me going and has helped me along the way with a lot of private emails and my non stop questions. Also, thanks to Jon and ThomasW.
Rick

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations Rick, I myself am going to go the DIY route soon. I'm taking my 4 car Tempests(I just bought 2 Brahma's) and going to build dual sonotubes to see what it sounds like. I already have 2 SVS25-31CS+ so I know what they are capable of. Someone told me that they will sound more like dual Ultra's. As you can see I LOVE BASS and I can not wait. Anyways it looks good, and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. :)

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice! I thought I'd throw out some selections that bring out the potential of your setup, tracks that continue to amaze me at the intensity of bass, and also that the sub handles well. The HE15.X is incredibly clean and powerful at volume, and these selections demonstrate that quality perfectly.
1. Depth charged from u571 (of course)
2. The plane crash scene in JP3, from the spinosaurus emerging from the trees to the crash. Amazing LFE. The moment when the plane pans past the screen is awesome, the prop causes some very intense LFE pops. Weak film, reference bass.
3. The original JP, the first t-rex scene, the newest DTS remaster. The sub does a great job on this, and there is some very low bass caused by environmental effects from the wind/rain that are very convincing. When I demoed this to someone who questioned the necessity of such a sub, he commented that this really adds to the experience. He commented that he wanted to build one, hmm, that would be this year :)
Question, were you able to install the woofer/PR with the rubber gasket? If so, did you use plain screws into the cabinet, or some sort of threaded insert? I found it impossible to use the gaskets with inserts, as the screws could not center perfectly.
My sub without grills. The kiddies need some dissuasion from punching the cones. They like that ting the metal cone makes :frowning:

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Rick,
Great job and nice workmanship.
when I first read this post I was thinking that for the dollar outlay you made for this unit you could have bought the SV Ultra dual set up. Or close to it. But After further review, this is a hobby after all and if you can build it so much the better.
I'd like to try something like this but I would probably buy the cabinet already assembled as I am not a carpenter. Or I might try putting the kit together myself.
I noticed that the plate you bought from partsexpress is for 3 drivers. I thought the 15.4 had two 15 drivers and 4 passive 18s.
And I have to ask a rather dense question. Does one need a cross over for a sub? Or would I rely on the cross overs in the pre/pro?
Vince, your box is great also. The smaller unit is probably the one I would build since I already have 3 subs.:) I am figuring if and when I move my HT to the basement and its concrete floor I will need more bass. :D

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
LOOKS GREAT !!!
i cant wait to get my stryke thunder 12.3 done !! so far the inner box is almost complete just glued the front on :)

Rick Sorken

Auditioning
Joel, thanks for the comments. WOW!!............you should have some very serious bass after you build dual sonotubes. :) I also have a couple of SVS 29-39's.....they are great subs.
Pl@, thanks.............nothing like the masters photo documentary ;) but, sometimes a few picture really makes it easy to understand the road you've been down.
Vince,
Thanks for the suggestions on the test material. The Haunting DTS 6.1 really rattled the house as well. ;)
The woofers are mounted with bolts,washers,washer,lock washer and nut. The PR's are mounted with no# 10 wood screws that I drilled pilot hole for first. Also, very nice job on your sub. :emoji_thumbsup:
Joe,
Thanks for the comments!! I have about $1350-$1400 in the project with the cost of the BFD. I have a couple of SVS 20-39's already and really wanted to take up a DIY project. The input plate has connections for all 4 voice coils from the two HE 15 woof's. I made a couple of jumpers out of 12 gauge wire to connect the coils together....2 ohm load. Also,let me just say I'm no carpenter either!! ;)
Jason,
Please post pictures and the results when you get the 12.3 done.
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks