Stryke Disc questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arron H, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I have a few questions about the Stryke disc Vol 1:

1. I have measured the 1KHz test tone at 75Db from 1 foot away. The level on my receiver ended up at -62Db (a Yamaha RX-V1200). -62Db is more than a 1/3rd of the way up on my receiver (scale = 0Db - -100Db). Should I use a lower volume level on my receiver for Stryke disc test tones? Does anybody know which tones are recorded at 0Db (full scale)? I really do not want to blow out a tweeter.

2. My primary purpose for using this disc is to take sub measurements from 15Hz to 100Hz from different positions in my room using the sine wave tones. How do I isolate the sub for best results? Should I disconnect all of my speakers except the sub? What is the recommended DSP for the receiver when taking measurements?

The disc is not as straight forward as I had assumed and I just want to make sure I do not destroy my system. Thanks for everybody's input.

2. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Arron, I have only limited experience with this disc myself, so perhaps more experienced folks will set us both straight. But here's what I have learned and would suggest:
    Try positioning your meter at your prime listening position. Put the Stryke disc in and set your receiver volume so that you get 75db at the listening position on the 1khz tone. This is reference level for the Stryke disc, and I understand the bass tones are all recorded at this level as well. Then you can start the measurements for the 10hz and up tones (starting at chapter 11 I believe). In my experience, calibrating the tests to a higher level (say 85db) can result in some painfully loud test tones, especially if you have nasty peaks in your room, as I do. And yes, to truly isolate your sub, I believe you will need to disconnect your other speakers.
    Hope this helps - looking forward to hearing more from the experts [​IMG]!

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Thanks, Mark it definately helps. Do you have any idea which DSP to set the receiver at or does this matter?

4. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Arron, another good question.

What I generally do is play the disc in my DVD player, and leave the receiver (in my case a Denon 3801) on auto-detect setting. It then defaults to pro-logic, but this doesn't really matter anyway, since the focus of all the testing is the sub-only channel. I could be wrong here, but I figure as long as you are in a mode that properly directs low-freq signals to the sub (don't know any DSP modes that don't, except of course setting sub to "not present") then it shouldn't matter which surround mode you're in.