What's new

Stryke AV15 versus Lambda PB15-Le (1 Viewer)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering how many of you have tried out the Lambda PB15-Le which is being offered at an incredible close-out price of 100$. I’m relatively new at this, but when I plug in the values into WinISD (vented enclosures), the result seems very competitive with the Stryke AV15. The PB15 has a slightly lower max SPL, but will play louder than the AV15 with the same power... and seems to better the Tempest on both max SPL and efficiency.

http://www.lambdacoustics.com/drivers/PB15.html

Many of you have quite a bit of experience building subs, and I was wondering if these drivers are the bargain of the month?

Thanks...
Rob

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There are fewer and fewer poly cone sub drivers being offered. This is possibly due to the fact that poly is not inherently a very stiff material. Therefore the potential for cone nonlinearity is greater.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I have to disagree with ThomasW on the poly cone issue. Lambda had previously changed to all poly cones because that is what everyone wanted. The majority of people out there today don't want to buy paper cones because they believe they are outdated.

The poly cones used by Lambda are very stiff. The cone breakups are also damped very well on the poly cones that Lambda has picked. FYI, the cones are the same that JL Audio used on their older W6 series woofers. They were used in car audio environments where high SPL's were needed and proved to be very stiff and strong.

Now, comparing the PB15 and the AV15 you will notice a few things. Yes, the PB15 is slightly more efficient. This leads to a higher F3 point in the same enclosure size. Also, the AV15 has quite a bit more Xmax than the PB15. With enough available power, you'll be able to get an extra 3dB headroom or more out of the AV15 compared to the PB15.

John

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I thought the poly cones were more popular with the car audio crowd "cause of the colors....Dude!!!" ;)

Pete

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
There are many reasons to use poly.. Could be cost of
manufacture (cheap) could be looks.. (for junk subs that
may be true..) could be moisture resistance..

Doped Spruce cones or any mixture of papers can withstand
moisture if they are treated to do so.

I have a pair of THE original Rockford Fosgate Series-1 12's
that I have had for a decade they are paper cones and foam
surrounds, they have been damp before (stored in a damp
basement) I have yet to encounter foam rot or deteriorated
cones.

In fact they look and sound the same as they did 10 years
ago :)

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
From an industrial design view-point, I prefer treated paper cones over either poly or aluminium... they just look nicer to me (I realise that others my not share this opinion). It's just the cost versus performance ratio that seems to make the PB15-Le so attractive. I was kinda hoping someone had tried both at home (or in their shop). I'm just surprised no one seems to be using them?

As a side note, can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong when I plug in the numbers for the AV15, WinISD seems to calculate theoretical Vd at 1.84 L versus the specified 3.8 L?

Seth_L

Screenwriter
WinISD only shows the 1 way Vd, not 2 way Vd. Vd is easy to calculate. Multiply the Sd by the p-p xmax (in cm) and you have mL of displacement. Divide by 1000 and voila.

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks