What's new

Stryke AV12 vs Adire Tempest (Power & SQ comparison) (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering how they compare... If we look at the Vd of each driver, the Tempest has a little advantage. But if we talk about the sound quality... anybody compared these two woofers? Lets say that they are each other in a comparable box... For example two sealed Mid-Q box or two enclosures tuned to 20 Hz, well you know what I mean :) A fear comparison...

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
ClaudeL.... I am gonna assume you meant a 'fair comaparison' & intended to say AV-15 Compared &
Contrasted to the 15" Tempest.

Without the benefit of a direct A/B test
I'd be willing to bet bet that the two
would sound very similar when driven moderately.
That is, not really loud and low....in other words
how most sane people listen to average music & film.

Pushed harder...I'll go out on the limb and say the
TC-sounds AV-15 may have the advantage. But gee, shouldn't it? It costs more and it's design is more robust and it's intended design options are more agressive.

Tom Nousaine many years ago did a bit of a comparison
of similar sub systems...Velodyne servos 10" 12" 15"
& maybe the 18"...the old mind ain't what it used to be.
In a nut shell these very nice subs of similar desgin & Q
all sounded the same for most of the everyday music and movie fare. Only when pushed to their respective max limits did he feel the differences become apparent.

And this is generally true for most well desgined Sub sytems when an apples to apples comparison is done. Only
do we geeks obsess over the minutia of construction & push drivers to or past their linear limits.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, in the sims I looked at, the AV12 does give the tempest a run for its money and in a smaller box to boot! I haven't heard either though so I can't comment on SQ. But why do we have to compare 15" to 15" anyway?

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Carl,

I mentionned the AV-12 because its sheer air volume displacement was almost the same than the Tempest... So I wondered how well the Av-12 is in sound quality because it can be placed in a smaller box for about the same performance... well less performance than the Tempest but not that much! :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't use the AV series I do have a bit of experience with it's older brother the HE-15, and........

I've built subs with the HE-15, BluePrint BP-1503, and the Adire Tempest/Shiva/DPL-12. IMO the sound quality of any of the newer generations of drivers is extremely good. And when placed in optimally designed cabinets, I think a person would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a A/B/X comparison. The primary differences will be in higher output situations (high SPL) where the higher excursion drivers will shine. Note that the high excursion drivers will play louder, but this doesn't necessarily translate to overall 'better' sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks