What's new

Stryke AV-15 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Is anyone here using this woofer in a 2.5-3 cubic foot sealed or vented enclosure with success? They are so damn cheep and I want to get one or 2 for my car, but I'm not sure if they are going to fit.

I asked in here cause more people post about them in here than in the car forum.

MichaelSmith

Auditioning
Good luck getting one. John posted on the AE forum that there are only enough parts left for about 50 AV woofers. Most of those parts will be used to make the 12's. Unless you can find them used, you're better off waiting for AEs new models or looking at different options.

Mark_J_H_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Or another question,

If I want to get usable output below 20Hz in a sealed enclosure, what drivers do you recommend? The reson I ask is that I am looking to build a sealed sub and want to build something that will best an SVS 20-39. The SVS does well to 20 Hz and then falls off pretty quick.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's because the SVS has a 20hz tune. One tuned to 16hz will do well down to 16hz and fall off quickly. That's standard in all ported boxes.

Getting a sealed sub down to 20hz and below will require a massive box and a small room. Or you can use an LT circuit to boost the low end. That requires massive amounts of power and a sub that can take some abuse.

-Robert

Mark_J_H_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Or another question,

If I want to get usable output below 20Hz in a sealed enclosure, what drivers do you recommend? The reson I ask is that I am looking to build a sealed sub and want to build something that will best an SVS 20-39. The SVS does well to 20 Hz and then falls off pretty quick.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have had a dual av 15 setup in a huge ported box and i was able to acheve 110 db @17hz at 10 feet and it sounded great

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If you're looking for a specific frequency response, but don't mind lower output levels across the board, then you could do a single 15 like the old Tempest or Dayton DVC and use EQ or LT to get the response you want.

If you want higher output levels than the SVS and lower response then you're really asking for a lot from a sealed sub. At a very minimum you'd want 2 high excursion 15 inch woofers. Something like the SoundSplinter RL-p or the AV-15 (when they're available again) would be the minimum I'd consider if you're only using 2. And you'll still need EQ or LT to get the frequency response right.

Ported subs get a very large SPL advantage in the low frequencies. The port can boost response by 6-9dB near the tuning point and it increases mechanical power handling by quite a bit near the tuning point.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You should at least ask on the forum or shoot AE Speakers an email asking if all of the last AV15 woofers have been spoken for. True, the new drivers are expected early next year, probably in January and February. We'll have to see, though. The AV12 is going up to $199 and the AV15 price will probably also increase similarly.

Mike Cason

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cason
I was going to use John's (Aespeakers.com) AV-15's but I needed drivers right away as I had sold the Titanic MKIII 12" out of my main subwoofer.

I ended up buying two of the more expensive Sound Splinter RL-Premium 15" drivers and put them both in a single cabinet with 4 passive radiators and am driving them with two 1450 watt amplifiers. A 2800 watt sub sure sounds good at both high and low volumes! The Sound Splinter RL-Premium driver is a beefed up TC Sounds, TC-9 unit.

The Sound Splinter drivers have dual 2 or 4 ohm voice coils and also have dual spiders to reduce distortion. Their coils are 3" too. Johns new AV-15, from what I've heard, are going to have dual spiders too.

I don't reccomend using that much power, but I'm the only one that adjusts the gains on the amps. The rap stuff and music designed to just make a lot of noise will burn out those drivers with that much power.

Good luck.....
Mike

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Here's news - the AV series drivers have had dual spiders since somewhere around mid 2003. Dual 2 ohm coils from the very start. I know they only had 2" voice coils - the newer ones will be stepping up to 2.5". But even the 2"-voice-coil AV drivers handled 500W, so what would I have to complain about? 4" voice coils only really become important on big pro sound drivers where they routinely see 2x their RMS power input for transients.

Mike Cason

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cason
Rory,

Here's a quote from DB at AE:

"The A.V series 12's and 15's, will receive major distortion reducing motor and suspension improvements, along with a healthy injection of electromotive force."

This would be the improvement I was referring to in the new AV series. I mis-interperted that as going to dual spiders as the descriptions of the AV 12 & 15's in the store section description don't say anything about dual spiders.

From a private email from John, he told me the larger 3" & 4" voice coils would cause more distortion. I don't see anything wrong with his product as I tried to acquire a couple for myself.

No one's complaining. The original poster was looking for a replacement driver if he couldn't acquire one of the AV series drivers.
Thanks,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks